PDA

View Full Version : Water Spots

Pages : [1] 2

D
07-28-2006, 03:48 PM
What exactly causes water spots? Lack of wax, dirty water? I ask because Ill be washing my car and seconds later there will be little water spots on the car. It makes it very hard to wash. I have to make sure the car is in the shade and it has to be cool out. I understand if the water is sitting on the car for a long period of time. But thats not the case here. Its a black car BTW.

justin_murphy
07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
They are cause by minerals in the water. Chances are that you have hard water. You might want to try a water filter or better yet, a rinseless car wash.

D
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Heres a picture of my hose. As you can see its pretty close to the ground. So what filter would work for me? Also, can you explain the rinseless wash? Would that work with a foam gun?

justin_murphy
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
The rinseless process is simple...
Wash one panel at a time starting at the top. Then dry it with a thick MF towel. Put your mitt in the bucket and the solution pulls the dirt out...dropping it to the bottom. Restart the process on another panel.

I've been doing this process all this week and love it! Saves water and time. I have noticed no scratching at all. I can wash in the full sun because I'm wetting one section at a time then drying. I love it. I can do a 4 door sedan in about 30 minutes...wheels tires and all with only one gallon of water.
BTW....I'm using Optimums NO-RINSE.

D
07-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Oh, I already do that. Thats the only way Ive ever washed my car I start with the top and windows, then move to the doors, then hood/ front bumper, then rear bumper/ trunk lid. I will still get small barley noticeable water spots.

I think I need to get that filter.

scooterguitar
07-28-2006, 05:54 PM
He uses a special rinseless wash, lots different than the old standard.

ScottB
07-28-2006, 05:57 PM
They are cause by minerals in the water.

:iagree: :iagree:

heat evaporates the water quickly, and the minerals are left as deposits on the paint. You can remove them quickly with a qd'er and vinegar for the stubborn ones. Once they etch the paint, your gonna need to polish.

supercharged
07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
I wash a black car in a full sun(exception last 2 weeks, it hot way to hot) and never get any water spots. I wash one section at a time, rinsing often and rewetting all car often. It takes longer to wash, but no waterspots.
However paint does have a few coats of Wolfgang sealant. Take nozzle off the hose for a final rinse, and use one of those big Guzzler WW towels+QD spray(I use Crystal Mist by Pinnacle) to cut drying time.

D
07-28-2006, 08:52 PM
I just looked at the filter from autogeek and thats not really an option because of the price. I guess Ill just have to wash my car faster.

Rapidity
07-28-2006, 09:17 PM
I laughed out loud on that one man.

D
07-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Haha, well I dont see any other option. My car hasnt been waxed for awhile, so maybe thatll help too.

sbkim
06-30-2007, 07:19 PM
I just noticed quite a few water stains on my black car. Can someone recommend a good mild solution - I heard vinegar. How much should I use? I presume I have to wax afterwards? Thanks!

D
06-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Man, this is an OLD thread. First you want to try alcohol or vinegar. I havent done either so I dont know the specifics. But if those dont work then the next step is to clay. If that doesnt work then it time to polish. And if that doesnt work then itll have to be wet sanded.

Bob Who
06-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I just looked at the filter from autogeek and thats not really an option because of the price. I guess Ill just have to wash my car faster.

-----------------

Just work a little harder this week ...you can swing it !!!

Bags
06-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Duragloss's water spot remove works well on fresh water spots but not the ones that are etched in the glass or paint.