PDA

View Full Version : Noob(ob) halp...

f_bomb
06-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Hello all...I've been lurking for a few days absorbing opinions, reviews, etc... to the point of where my brain is buzzing. I am not a detailer but I take pride in my car and love cleaning her up! I've been using OTC Megs + Zymol and thought it was time to step my game up a notch. In my quest for the ultimate wax for black cars, I found this site...Then decided, rather than pay $100 for Souveran, spend $100 on a package of cleaners and then decide if I want to spend another $100 on the Souveran...

So help this noob(.o.b.) <Newbie Baller Ona Budget :) Spend $100 (on this site)

I have a Black Infiniti (DD). No swirls/webs, paint in pretty decent shape, minus the hood that has chips/imperfections. And a Flint Mica (Phantom Grey) tC, in great shape.

Clay.
Wolfgang Clay Combo $30
Mothers Clay System $18

^I've seen mixed reviews on the WG, Mothers seems like the old faithful...ClayMagic is not sold on the site...

Polish.
Klasse AIO $15
Poorboys Black Hole Glaze $16
Poorboys World Polish w/ Carnuba $17
Menzerna Intesive Polish PO91E $26

^I am pretty set on the Klasse.

Wax.
Poorboys World Natty's Blue $20
DP Max Wax $30

^Leaning towards Natty.

Okay, I need Microfiber towels so $20 is gone, so help me spend $80...

Combo #1
Wolfgang Clay $30
Klasse AIO $15
PB Black Hole Polish $16
PB Natty Blue $20

Combo#2
Mothers Clay $18
Klasse AIO $15
Menz IP $26
PB Natty $20

Combo #3
Mothers Clay $18
Klasse AIO $15
PB Black Hole $16
DP Wax Max $30

I am leaning toward #2 or maybe #3, unless the Wolfgang clay is that much > Mothers...Or if anyone had any appreciated suggestions???

:righton:

Matt S.
06-27-2008, 08:20 AM
1) Wolfgang clay gets my vote over Mother's...it's a better overall value and works faster IMO

2) AIO + Black Hole = redundant. No need to use both, pick one or the other. In this case, AIO gets my vote.

3) If you use Menzerna IP, you'll want to follow up with a finishing polish, so combo #2 is incomplete.

Now that I've given my opinions, I would go with the following package:

1) Wolfgang Clay
2) Klasse AIO
3) DP Max Wax

All products are easy to use, and will yield outstanding results. You'll get acrylic and carnauba protection and shine - the best of both worlds. Max Wax is definitely a "sleeper" wax that not many people know about compared to some other waxes....but the people who do use it know how great it is for the money. That said, Natty's Blue is a great wax, but Max Wax still gets my vote if that tells you something. ;)

f_bomb
06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks Matt!

What do you mean by the Wolfgang clay works faster?

As far as the DP vs Nattys...Looking around the forum, I like the Nattys look on black cars better. BUT, I know pics can be deceiving.

I am looking for a more reflective black rather than a silky wet black.

f_bomb
06-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Ok...Thanks again for your help Matt (and Meghan)! After over analyzing again and again. Here is what I came up with and my logic behind it

Wolfgang Clay Combo - I figured Mothers can be had OTC, so it's easy enough to run to the store to try that if I am not happy w/ WG
Klasse AIO - nuff said
PB Natty's Blue - I liked the looks of user pics who used it, and the $ difference btwn NB/DP helped me grab the next purchase...
PB QD+ - Same logic as the Clay, if I don't like it, I can grab some Mothers...Might as well get the internet store specific products if I am shopping online!
MF Towels + pocket buff pads - can never have enough...

Now I wait and post up results after I return from my 4th of July vacation and get to work on my ladies...
:cheers:

ScottB
06-28-2008, 07:16 AM
just remember Klasse AIO is a chemical based paint cleanser with no polishing ability. At some point a polish will be needed to abrade the surface and remove light swirls and scratches.

f_bomb
06-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I thought AIO was a polish??? I have some OTC Megs polish wax that I've been using. If need be, it'll hold me until my next order.

What do you recommend for a black car killr?