PDA

View Full Version : Help, need advice on fiberglass!

Ernie North
06-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Hello

I have a 40' gel coat fiberglass body RV that needs to be waxed and the task seems monumental! I was thinking about a buffer to make it go faster? Can anyone offer some advice? Good idea, bad idea, how to, what wax, what model buffer.how to avoid swirls etc. I hope someone can help me...............
Thanks
Big Ern

Rsurfer
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
First of all welcome to the forum. Gel coat is similar to clear coat on a car. Both may need compounding, polishing, sealing, and waxing. As far as a polisher goes the Porter Cable is the old stand by and nearly fool proof. Meaning you can not do damage to the paint. A rotary will cut your time in half, but can do damage if not used properly. The new Flex polisher which is sort of inbetween the PC and rotary. There has been some minor problems with the Flex and I dont know if everything has been corrected. As far as polishes goes, check out the Duragloss line, as they have a marine line of products.

Jimmie
06-25-2008, 01:29 AM
First of all welcome to the forum. Gel coat is similar to clear coat on a car. Both may need compounding, polishing, sealing, and waxing. As far as a polisher goes the Porter Cable is the old stand by and nearly fool proof. Meaning you can not do damage to the paint. A rotary will cut your time in half, but can do damage if not used properly. The new Flex polisher which is sort of inbetween the PC and rotary. There has been some minor problems with the Flex and I dont know if everything has been corrected. As far as polishes goes, check out the Duragloss line, as they have a marine line of products.

:iagree::whs:.

mini titan
06-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Colonite has a boat/fiberglass cleaner that works well on gel coat. I just did my boat with the cleaner and wax combo using a flex..It looks Great!