PDA

View Full Version : Water spots and I'm stumped!

zaxjax
06-21-2008, 07:07 AM
I did a 1996 Laser Red Cobra last night and was stumped. I talked with the owner and he showed my the roof, hood, and trunk deck lid that were covered in water spots. No, problem, I used a rotary with a white speed and Optimum Polish at 1500 and nothing. Switched to an orange pad with Optimum at 1500, a little better. I was frustrated and grabbed SIP on a white pad at 1500-1800 and nothing. SIP and an orange pad at 1800, they were still there. Finally, I got out the wool pad and SIP, this had to do the trick. Nope!
M83 on wool, nothing!

You could run your fingers over the spots and not feel a thing, it was smooth as glass. I got my Sun Gun and got a better look and it looked like the paint was pitted underneath. The car had been re-painted so I'm wondering if it's actually under the clear.

Has anyone had this happen or know what the hell I'm dealing with?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

ScottB
06-21-2008, 07:12 AM
acid rain and some water spots can etch a painted surface to the point where wet-sanding is usually the only cure.

if it was repainted, you never know what prep was done and was the atmosphere dust free too.

zaxjax
06-21-2008, 07:16 AM
I was detailing in the garage and had no dusting from any of the products. It was cool and not very humid.

I assume it had to be wet sanded but didn't want that to be the answer.

Ive' had water spots that were 100 times worse and came right out after M83, SIP or using wool.

I guess it's under the clear when they painted.

ScottB
06-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I meant dust while being repainted, are they etchings or small markings that can be felt under the paint, which could suggest dust or contaminents.

Wet-sanding will only reduce/alleviate those on/in top of clearcoat, if its under in the paint coats then your screwed, well the owner is .

zaxjax
06-21-2008, 07:49 AM
I have this posted on another site and dust was brought up as well. I felt the area before and after polishing and it was smooth.

Solvent pop was brought up as well, which I think it is the answer to my problem.

Reference: Solvent Popping - Troubleshooting (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/solvent_popping/index.cfm)

It's under the clear or in the clear, you can see pits, bubbles, and water spots, but to the touch it's smooth as glass.

I guess I better learn how to wet sand.

TOGWT
06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Clear coat bubbles –so called solvent pop iscaused by the paint topcoats trapping evaporating solvent gases during curing and drying (outgas) the pressure builds causing micro-explosions (pop) pushing up small blister in the wet paint or topcoat. Solvent pop will appear after the film is "skinned over" and when sanded will have pinholes

(Wet-sanding is probably best left to a professional detailer)

Bunky
06-22-2008, 07:20 AM
I found this nice reference work.....

http://webtools.delmarlearning.com/sample_chapters/Duffy_AutoBody_ch28.pdf

zaxjax
06-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Clear coat bubbles –so called solvent pop iscaused by the paint topcoats trapping evaporating solvent gases during curing and drying (outgas) the pressure builds causing micro-explosions (pop) pushing up small blister in the wet paint or topcoat. Solvent pop will appear after the film is "skinned over" and when sanded will have pinholes

(Wet-sanding is probably best left to a professional detailer)

I found this nice reference work.....

http://webtools.delmarlearning.com/sample_chapters/Duffy_AutoBody_ch28.pdf

Thanks for the great info!

mixxer
06-22-2008, 10:59 AM
As soon as i read car has been repainted i was thinking fish eyes, but no dought a bad paint job.