PDA

View Full Version : Need help with single staage paint (repost)

jake66
06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Sorry, this is a repost from detail university forum. Just looking for answers.

I have a 66 Chevy Nova that I want to get the best I can out of the current paintjob. The paint is single stage, most likely enamel, bright red, and probably 15+ years old. I have had the car since 99 and it has had annual waxes only, using a product called SS Nathan's Liquid Brilliance. This was all done by hand.

I recently purchased a PC with XMT intermed kit. I also have various 3M products like rubbing compound,Foam polishng Pad Glaze, etc.

I was wondering, short of purchassing $$ worth of new stuff, what would be the best to use to bring out the most from this paint? The paint has some orange peel, some scratches and swirl marks, some past sanding marks? (not from me) and needs general cleaning/brightening. I am unsure of thickness, but appears to be thin in places (edges and ridges) from previous owner's attempts at wetsanding, compounding.

Would the XMT or 3M stuff work. or maybe Megs 83 & 80? Always thankfull for advice from experienced pros. Thanks in advance, JK:cheers:

TOGWT
06-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Menzerna PO85U Final Polish- is an oil rich polish that will provide finite finishing on all paints, provides more cut on medium to softer paints; an ideal polish for single stage paint

jake66
06-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the advice TOGWT. I will have to add some of the Menz products to future order. It would simplify things if there was a "send one of each" box on order e-form. :cheers:

jake66
07-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I tried some experimenting with the Nova Tuesday night. First time using the PC with the XMT. I clayed the trunk lid only and started out with the XMT #3 with orange LC pad and followed up with the #1 on white pad. Results were not as good as expected. I then tried some old 3M Rubbing Compond and an orange pad. Got a little better after following up with the XMT1. Some of the scratches were still present, looks like a cat scratch.

My questions are:

Would another go with maybe a yellow pad get any better results?

Would the Menz products (SIP or even powergloss) work better on this old of paint?

Should I be happy with the results I get and live with what's left, short of new paint?

I did notice that there was no red color coming off onto pad. I would've bet the farm and house that this is a single stage paint. Is it possible for and older ss paint to be hard enough as to not give color on pads?

Sorry for no pics but the painfully slow dial-up at the home in the boonies is just too frustrating. Plus did not have digital camera with me at the time. Thanks.