PDA

View Full Version : New Guy detailing

Bambino68
06-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Good evening all
I am planning on doing a full detail, inside & out on my 2005 Yukon Denali. I have purchased Zymol Concours for a wax, but am wondering if clay baring it, will really help with the shine & if so, what clay to use.
Thanks in advance!
David

Rsurfer
06-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Good evening all
I am planning on doing a full detail, inside & out on my 2005 Yukon Denali. I have purchased Zymol Concours for a wax, but am wondering if clay baring it, will really help with the shine & if so, what clay to use.
Thanks in advance!
DavidClaying is a must if you havent clayed your car recently. Claying doesnt directly help the shine. Its used to rid the paint of contaminents thats imbeded in the paint. It will also prevent scratching when polishing. Do you have a machine to polish before waxing?

Bambino68
06-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I am doing everything by hand as I was told this is best for the vehicle. It was detailed by a local shop 6 months ago, but they did a HORRIBLE job.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thank you

94LT1
06-19-2008, 10:03 PM
i thought i heard somewere that its almost a must to use the HD zymol cleanse so there wax is able to bond to the paint.

Rsurfer
06-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I am doing everything by hand as I was told this is best for the vehicle. It was detailed by a local shop 6 months ago, but they did a HORRIBLE job.

Thank youI dont agree that doing everthing by hand is best. Waxing by hand is ok and perfered by most, but polishing by hand can be awkward and tiresome to say the least. You will not be able to duplicate the results from a machine vrs. by hand. There are a ton of threads and videos on polishing by machine, just do a search and alot of reading.

Rsurfer
06-19-2008, 10:10 PM
BTW maybe the person that told you that doing it by hand is better might be saying its safer when refering to a rotary polisher. In the wrong hands a rotary can do serious damage to your car.

Jimmie
06-20-2008, 01:22 AM

Thank you

Hate to suggest spending your money Bambino but if the shop did a horrible job you're probably going to need a buffer and polishes. That's the only way that you will take out their marring, swirls, and holograms. The good news is that you will be able to use it forever.

Roll & Shine Valet
06-20-2008, 03:29 AM
on a new car id use a mild clay bar nothing too harsh then use a paint renovator, polish then a sealant

wytstang
06-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Sonus green and or Pinnacle clay is all you need or hit up auto zone and pick up some ClayMagic (blue clay bar). As far as the shop goes yeah you'll probably need a buffer and polishes. Any chance of a close up picture showing the damage? Gives us a better idea of what to recommend.

Bambino68
06-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all the responses.
I will take photos today and post them.

Have a great weekend.

If anyone can recomend a great detail shop in chicago, maybe I will have them polish the truck!

Thanks!