PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Advice

jfsully
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Took the car in recently for mechanical maintenance and the dealership scratched the back bumper (how, I dont know, Ive always told them not to wash it or anything).

The scary thing is when the Mercedes body shop manager came out, I mentioned "bird bombs" bugs etc and what they can do to paint...His suggestion was to make sure I use a teflon based product as a shield against all of these!!!!!

I think I'll stick with my high quality carnaubas :D

Meghan
06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Took the car in recently for mechanical maintenance and the dealership scratched the back bumper (how, I dont know, Ive always told them not to wash it or anything).

The scary thing is when the Mercedes body shop manager came out, I mentioned "bird bombs" bugs etc and what they can do to paint...His suggestion was to make sure I use a teflon based product as a shield against all of these!!!!!

I think I'll stick with my high quality carnaubas :D

Teflon is for skillets silly shop manager! I remember when I picked up my Chrysler 300 they had a kid washing the cars... you know I couldn't resist so I had to drive the long way past him on the way out and the bucket of water was brown. So when they ask you for that "courtesy" free detail there is only one answer.... H*LL NO! :D

ScottB
06-19-2008, 06:10 PM
ask them if the have a 600 degree oven to apply it properly, even Dupont came out and said Teflon has no place in car care. Of course, they recently sold the rights to the name to another OTC line to offer it since too.

sal329
06-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Are they payin to fix the scratch?

jfsully
06-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes they really gave me little arguement...but I am a pain sometimes:D

Wolf-Strong
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Sadly, I work at a dealership, and while they don't offer a 'Teflon' protection, they have another warranty under the name of Xzilon. While the stuff does last a good 5 months, its ability to protect during those 5 months is laughable. What gives me the biggest kick is the lack of understanding what they the sales people are even selling!

They are selling the product, not the warranty, when it is really the other way around. What gives me a good laugh is when they start calling it a Teflon coating when the stuff doesn't even have any Teflon in it lmao!

ScottB
06-21-2008, 07:30 AM
the part I find most amusing about paint sealants offered by dealers, are that they only protect (warranty) for about as long as the normal paint warranty. Paint/clearcoat is designed to last 3-5 years will basic care, so they add a little wax , charge 500-1000, and give you a warranty for two years. Well if my three year bumper-to-bumper protects paint too, then what did I really win ???

David Fermani
06-21-2008, 08:44 AM
the part I find most amusing about paint sealants offered by dealers, are that they only protect (warranty) for about as long as the normal paint warranty. Paint/clearcoat is designed to last 3-5 years will basic care, so they add a little wax , charge 500-1000, and give you a warranty for two years. Well if my three year bumper-to-bumper protects paint too, then what did I really win ???

There's a few aspects to consider in regards to paint and it's "warranty". Acid rain damage is only warranteed for 1 year under most manufacturer's warranty. Paint failure (for example unpolishable failure) is warranteed for 3 years. Big difference. What paint protection agreements do is extend the acid rain and fading portions with much different maintenance requirements. Many times, they have a 5 or 6 year service contracts as long as the contract is fullfilled per their specification.

For many people who aren't savey about maintaining their vehicle's appearance, these contracts make alot of sense. What they do is insure that the finish stays looking "new". If it doesn't, they'll keep doing it over until it is. What's so bad about that? Probably much cheaper to purchase (finance) a $500-600 warranty instead of paying several hundred $$ every time you go in for a "wax job".
What I have a problem with is the people selling these systems. They have no clue about the guidelines the customers have to follow and most times give false information. This in turn leads to the vehicle owner voiding their warranty from lack of maintenance.

Also, where did you learn that paint only lasts for 3-5 years? I can't imagine that's accurate?

ScottB
06-21-2008, 09:37 AM
its not that it will only last 3-5 years, manufacturers suggest it will last at least that long with basic care and thus why they cover under their warranty. GM for instance tests this as one of its torture tests.

I dont agree with the warranty aspect, and yes my father has been a General Manager for a major car dealer for 30+ years, as there are many ways for the dealer to wease out of this warranty and most the time the wont repair for basic acid rain etching and spots. Sure they "might" send it around back for a wash and wax but thats not what a paint guard and warranty system should be designed for and clearly not what its sold as.

For a customer looking for basic waxing, and thats how they consider it, its mucher cheaper and will do the same thing to visit a local vendor every couple months and pay for the wash/wax. Most people owning the average car do not care for them like us, and dont really catch the small things. A 40.00 express wax to them is like hitting gold and half the time they look at car as being like new even after a quick wash. The toss around the word detailing when in truth it was something quite less IMO.

David Fermani
06-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Paint/clearcoat is designed to last 3-5 years will basic care

its not that it will only last 3-5 years, manufacturers suggest it will last at least that long with basic care and thus why they cover under their warranty. GM for instance tests this as one of its torture tests.

Which is it? Designing it to last, having it last and warranting it to last are 3 totally different concepts. The only one that’s accurate IMHO is the warranty aspect. Paint manufacturers usually offer a lifetime warranty on their aftermarket applications. I can’t see them only “designing” or “suggesting” it will only last 3-5 years in an OEM controlled environment. Even here in Florida, paint that isn’t maintained with “basic care” easily lasts well over a decade. Can you explain more about GM’s torture tests?

I dont agree with the warranty aspect, and yes my father has been a General Manager for a major car dealer for 30+ years, as there are many ways for the dealer to wease out of this warranty and most the time the wont repair for basic acid rain etching and spots. Sure they "might" send it around back for a wash and wax but thats not what a paint guard and warranty system should be designed for and clearly not what its sold as.

No offense to you or your father, but over the last 18 years of working with and for many dozens of new car dealers (stores ranging from selling 100 to 600 new vehicles per month), I can honestly say I‘ve never met 1 GM, GSM, SM, F&I, Body Shop Manager that understands how a Rust, Paint and/or Fabric agreement really works. If they did, they’d educate their customer properly at delivery and have them return for re-applications (per the agreement). Funny how the dealer Sales force tends to forget or leave out what the protection system company trained them on. By them not doing this not only leaves money on the table at the dealer if the customer doesn’t have a reason to return to them, but voids their coverage. So, when their customer returns to make a claim, they deny it for breach of contract. Pretty unethical practice huh? Probably one of the biggest reasons these products & services get negative attention (especially on car care forums).

For a customer looking for basic waxing, and thats how they consider it, its mucher cheaper and will do the same thing to visit a local vendor every couple months and pay for the wash/wax. Most people owning the average car do not care for them like us, and dont really catch the small things. A 40.00 express wax to them is like hitting gold and half the time they look at car as being like new even after a quick wash. The toss around the word detailing when in truth it was something quite less IMO.

The audiences that the dealer applied protection plans are marketed towards aren’t people that don’t want to wax their vehicles every couple months (their not marketed to the educated enthusiast either). If they feel that their vehicle’s finish isn’t holding up per the agreement, they can return for a free application (not a detail). In fact, most product agreements require people to get an annual inspection and reapplication. $40 every couple of months turns into $160 yearly and $800 over common 5 year contract period. How is this cheaper than most $400-500 paint protection contracts? A local vendor isn’t offering a warranty either (or an oil change at the same time).

ScottB
06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
we will simply agree to disagree ... seems like your a well taught salesman too, and while convincing it still is a waste of money for the average consumer to outlay such a large initial cost for such a small warranty and one that commonly covered by the new car paint warranty IMO. Getting the right service manager is all thats need to have anything repaired under the factory warranty, and having the wrong one can seriously harm your chances.

And right or wrong dealers do sell these paint guard protections to the average consumer including those that dont wash/wax their cars. Most the time they even suggest their is no longer any need for more than a wash. Right or wrong, its done frequently and all in the name of high dollar market up profits and not truly the clients benefit.

What I will offer in closing and we clearly both having oposing views and rereading this post should help anyone to visit both sides of the proverbial coin and then make a more informed decision once deciding the merits as they pertain to them.