PDA

View Full Version : Nail polish on leather seat: Help!

Z06-Goose
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
How can you safely remove nail polish off a leather seat
It happened to my frien this morning. She put a fabric glove on it, and when it dried it took most of the nail polish off, but there's still some residue
After further research, I found what you shouldn't use, and that is Goof-off and acetone based nail polish remover
Anyone has some ideas what to use?
TIA,
Goose

Z06-Goose
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
For every person's question, there are many of you would also like to hear what the answer is. That being said, I've spent 2 hours reading, and researching the subject

This is some of the interesting information on remedies I was able to collect...
Starting with the safest method first:

-Let the nail polish dry. Try rolling the leather to make the NP crack, and eventually peel off

-Artgum Eraser: this was also mentioned to rub off the NP stain

-Mild detergent in lukewarm water. Stir to create a lot of suds, use the foam on a sponge only and gently dab off. Avoid spreading the stain

-Rubbing alcohol, acetone-free NP remover, and acetone based NP remover; this last one is probably the scariest of all methods, but the most effective. Also, Hair Spray was used by some people.

Disclaimer:
Before using any of this stuff, make sure you try on an inconspicuous area of the leather to test for colorfastness and to make sure no damage occurs. This is to see if the leather can withstand the chemicals. If it can, dab off the area -rub gently IF necessary- with a paper towel, follow with a leather cleaner/conditioner. If it can't, obviously don't use it

-Another tip I collected was the in the event of discoloration as a result of trying to remove the stain, some people had used Vermont's Original Bag Balm Protective Ointment to restore the shine, and color (dullness)

-Dab off, don't rub off!. Depending on the size of the stain, you can use a sponge, paper towel, or Q-tips as your tools

What I concluded from this search was, that no matter what, the odds will be against you to succeed
The points made above all have their downside. Patient, and a systematically approach will better the odds

I'm personally going to try the gum eraser approach first, then the soapy lukewarm water. But I will have some IPA handy to use just in case. Hairspray, and acetone-free NP remover will be my last alternative
I will work on this next week, and will post my results

Rsurfer
06-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Good research, let us know what works.

TOGWT
06-19-2008, 03:34 AM
I don't have any different ideas than the one you've cited already, and the type of leather (covered or natural leather) will make a difference- so lt us know what works

Nail Polish
Removing nail polish from leather can be tricky and time consuming.

Dab off, don't rub, most of the nail polish using a paper towel. Then test the leather for colourfastness. This will help you determine if the leather can withstand the chemicals needed to clean it.
Take some acetone-free nail polish remover and dab an area of the leather that cannot be seen or is inconspicuous. This is a non-oily fingernail polish remover. Wait a few minutes to make sure the leather does not change colour. Use a dabbing motion, do not rub.
If this damages the leather (I would imagine it will damage the polyurethane covering) you can try using isopropyl alcohol (IPA) test the alcohol first before using. "Let the nail polish dry. Try rolling the leather to make the NP crack, and eventually peel off" would be what I'd try and FWIW DONT use Acetone on leather or covered leather you'll destroy the finish

Matt S.
06-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Since it your question was already answered....

stop doing your nails in the car!!! :D

Z06-Goose
06-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Since it your question was already answered....

stop doing your nails in the car!!! :DHaha! that was my friend Deidre. She had the nail polish sitting on the seat, and it leaked out with the heat, and for not being capped tight :D

Matt S.
06-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Haha! that was my friend Deidre. She had the nail polish sitting on the seat, and it leaked out with the heat, and for not being capped tight :D

Yeah yeah...I know how you Z06 drivers are...

Wait..

r0ckstrWS6
06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
would the same methods be applicable when trying to remove paint? I have window paint on my leather seats but haven't had any luck.

Z06-Goose
06-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Yeah yeah...I know how you Z06 drivers are...

Wait..It's happened to you too, Matt? :D

Z06-Goose
06-19-2008, 11:52 AM
would the same methods be applicable when trying to remove paint? I have window paint on my leather seats but haven't had any luck.
I wouldn't see why not. The only difference I can see is that the NP dries hard, almost like a coat of hard plastic
Following the methods outlined above may give you some results
Don't let any chemicals saturate into the leather, and be ready to follow with some kind of leather treatment afterwards

What have you tried to remove it?

r0ckstrWS6
06-19-2008, 12:08 PM
different types of cleaners, I recently tried wolfgang's leather cleaner and that seemed to make a dent, so to speak, in removing it. I didn't get a chance to really agitate the area though to see if it would completly come off.

Z06-Goose
06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
different types of cleaners, I recently tried wolfgang's leather cleaner and that seemed to make a dent, so to speak, in removing it. I didn't get a chance to really agitate the area though to see if it would completly come off.
Try rubbing alcohol aka IPA: Isopropyl Alcohol

r0ckstrWS6
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
^ will do, thanks

Z06-Goose
07-02-2008, 09:18 PM
As promised, here's my updated post from my nail polish on leather adventure:

Well, after reading, searching, hesitation, and what not, I decided to head over to Walgreens, and take a look at some "Acetone-free Nail Polish Remover" so I've read the ingredients, and I realized it had alcohol, so good, don't need to buy alcohol :D

Anyway, long story short, I bought some Acetone-Free NP and this stuff worked absolutely like magic. No leather discoloration, or damage to the texture on the leather. I used some q-tips to apply, and a mf towel to gently scrub. After I realized that scrubbing was safe, I was able to finish the leather back to its original condition
One thing I did also, was to use a little bit of white vinegar in-between applications just in case. Vinegar is a great neutrilizer and cleaner on its on right, but not strong enough to have removed the NP stain

I'm kicking myself for not taking my camera with me, as this was a great opportunity for people to see

One thing I'd like to point out: use a white (non-colored) towel to apply. Ask me how I know :D
I was using an already seasoned green towel (clean) and the NP remover made it bleed a little bit, and left a tiny green shade on the seat. No problem, though. I grabbed a white towel with some NP remover and it cleaned it right out :)
Thanks for looking...