PDA

View Full Version : Meg's #21 V 2.0 problem

crash93ssei
06-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Well, I purchased some Meguiar's synthetic sealant #21 V 2.0 I have been having some minor problems with it but I at first figured that it was my application technique. I first thought that I didn't get all of the oils off the paint from the Menzerna polish. After using a IPA wipedown, I still had a smearing problem with it.

The last car I did was the last straw. A friend of mine brought over a black '05 CTS for me to work on. All was going well and it looked beautiful untill I applied the #21. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and tried to buff it off with a LC CCS blue pad and my UDM. All it did was smear and nothing was removed. I thought maybe it didn't have enough time to cure so I let it sit for another 10 - 15 minutes and still nothing. It would not come off. I had to wash the car three times with dawn to get rid of the excess and I can still see some of it.

Even on the couple cars I used it on that I had no problem removing it, it still seemed to smudge or smear and leave a hologram with even the slightest touch. A quick wipe with a MF or a rub on the spot with the UDM and it was gone.

I just don't understand it. I really like the look and slickness of this stuff, but I can't have my cars looking like crap when I am done with them. I have tried IPA wipedown, regular wash and a combination of both between polishing and the #21 but still have the same problem. I am at a loss. After the polishing the cars look great, but after the sealant, it is not good.

Any ideas?

Lumadar
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I use #21 2.0 as the LSP for virtually all of my clients, and have yet to have this problem.

How thick (or thin) are you applying the product? It uses an insanely small amount during application.

I have done about 6 vehicles with less than 2 ounces~ of #21. Also, were you using the blue pad uncovered, or with a terry or microfiber bonnet?

Try it with a bonnet...

KrisMas
06-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Having the same problem with both NXT v2.0 and M21 v2.0. During the last detail (last weekend), I left it to cure for 2 hours. While it was very easy to remove but under the dried residue there were a whole lot of streaks/smears everywhere. Tried everything from Last Touch, QD, UQD, M135, distilled water, I even tried with Z-6 and Z-8, but they were still there.

It was only yesterday morning when I did a Last Touch wipe down that I was able to get most of them off, but there were still some left.

I'm with crash93ssei, I love the finish it gives out and don't want this small issue to ruin the look.

crash93ssei
06-18-2008, 07:15 AM
I am applying it very thin with a LC CCS black pad at speed 3 on my UDM. I was trying to remove it with an uncovered blue LC CCS pad. I also tried to remove it by hand with a MF towel, but had the same results.

I think I am just going to go with Zaino. I have used it before but didn't want to spend all that money at once. Looks like I will be doing that now. Probably going to get some P21S or Collonite wax also.

People want to touch their cars when they are all smooth and shiney, and I can't have them touching the cars and leaving a hologram behind. The bottle says it should be good after 10 - 15 minutes, and it was on there for about an hour. Not worth it in my opinion.

Petrus
06-21-2008, 06:38 AM
I use MG 20, and I have been told that both of these Meguiars products. Is best after 6 hours!

zaxjax
06-21-2008, 06:58 AM
I have neve had this proble with M21 0r M20, but I apply all of my sealants or waxes by hand.

ScottB
06-21-2008, 07:13 AM
very thin application was my only thought ... you must reserve as much as possible when using sealants and then allow enough time for sealant to cure. In humid weather sometimes a little more time could be needed.

crash93ssei
06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, the layer was very thin, you almost couldn't see it. The bottle says 10 - 15 minutes and it was on there for about an hour....

I don't know, maybe I will give it another try and let it sit for a long time

Totoland Mach
06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
You might want to try a process that I use on all sealant products: I put the sealant on with a finish pad (rotary use...but the pc will have the same effect) and work the product until the finish is clear...zero haze. When I'm finished with the entire car, I use whatever QD is handy and a mf towel to lightly wipe the car.

I've tried this with M21, Wolfgang Sealant, Zaino, 3M Performance Finish and they all produce a very nice finish that requires no buffing to remove haze.

jesselyons2002
06-24-2008, 01:36 AM
You might want to try a process that I use on all sealant products: I put the sealant on with a finish pad (rotary use...but the pc will have the same effect) and work the product until the finish is clear...zero haze. When I'm finished with the entire car, I use whatever QD is handy and a mf towel to lightly wipe the car.

I've tried this with M21, Wolfgang Sealant, Zaino, 3M Performance Finish and they all produce a very nice finish that requires no buffing to remove haze.

I thought you can't use zaino with a rotary ???

Totoland Mach
06-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I thought you can't use zaino with a rotary ???

Who said that? I've tried all their products with a rotary: Fusion, AIO, Z2, Z5...they work ok (except the Fusion is pretty weak compared to compounds).

never had a problem

Toto

crash93ssei
07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, I just used it again last night on an '05 Trailblazer, with basically the same conditions as the CTS. This time I let it sit and cure for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours and it came off perfectly. It was absolutely beautiful and the owners were flat out amazed at how well it turned out. So, looks like that will be my method with it now, just let it sit for at least 1 1/2 hours before removal.

Thanks

blacknblu
07-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Having the same problem with both NXT v2.0 and M21 v2.0. During the last detail (last weekend), I left it to cure for 2 hours. While it was very easy to remove but under the dried residue there were a whole lot of streaks/smears everywhere. Tried everything from Last Touch, QD, UQD, M135, distilled water, I even tried with Z-6 and Z-8, but they were still there.

It was only yesterday morning when I did a Last Touch wipe down that I was able to get most of them off, but there were still some left.

I'm with crash93ssei, I love the finish it gives out and don't want this small issue to ruin the look.
I had the same issue with NXT v2.0 on a car I did this past weekend. I was working in very small sections (1ft X 1ft), and had a very hard time removing the product. Once I moved the car into the garage and let it cool off (out of direct sunlight), the problem went away. I don't know if this will solve your issue, but it solved mine.