PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Paint and a looming trip

speedin
06-16-2008, 08:08 PM
So my car is still in the shop getting a fresh coat of black paint. I know the car needs to outgas for about 60-90 days before using any sealants. But the car HAS to go on a trip within only a few days. Are there any ways to provide a barrier on the highways without harming the paint? Possibly a "breathable" barrier?

StephenK
06-16-2008, 08:30 PM
wizards shine master is the only sealant i can think of right now that claims to be "breathable" and safe for fresh paint.

no linkies please !

ScottB
06-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Souveran Paste Wax ... or a pure wax.

I talked to a bodyshop about this and wondered for years why people suggest a sealant over a wax. Basically a sealant links chemically to provide a bond or sealed level over the paint. What I found out is that in general a wax has cleaners and light abrasives in it that can effect the paint while permanently curing.

I was told, and unscientic but sound, is that a pure carnauba is breathable and actually allows a leaf on the carnuaba tree to take in oxygen. It refracts or reflects sun light and also sheets water off so it can go down to the roots which take in the water, not the leaves.

I have used Souveran many times on freshly painted areas and never had an issue or damage. I am confortable using a pure carnauba and would use versus nothing on the finish if traveling or in extreme weather.