PDA

View Full Version : Black Nissan Paint Help

03 4TR
06-16-2008, 07:34 PM
First of all, I know I don't post much, but I am HUGE FAN of this forum and read all the tips and tricks and think this is a great forum.

That being said, I was hoping to get some help. I have been washing and detailing my wife's '05 Nissan Altima. It is black and I am having a HECK of a time trying to get out all the swirls and little scratches. Is the paint on Nissan's that bad, am I using the wrong products or do I just suck at detailing? : ) I hope it is not the last one cause I really like to detail!!!

I have been using my 7424 with XMT products with LLC Pads. I have used #3 with orange and #2 with white followed up by glaze and then topped off with Liquid Souveran. I have watched tons of videos on how to use the 7424 and think I am doing it right and while the car looks good after 5 minutes....a week or so later and it looks like crap again. I guess not crap, but I was hoping for better and am hard on myself.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? What is wrong with Nissan's paint? Or if I am using the wrong products on my particular car?

Thanks.

blacknblu
06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
First of all, I know I don't post much, but I am HUGE FAN of this forum and read all the tips and tricks and think this is a great forum.

That being said, I was hoping to get some help. I have been washing and detailing my wife's '05 Nissan Altima. It is black and I am having a HECK of a time trying to get out all the swirls and little scratches. Is the paint on Nissan's that bad, am I using the wrong products or do I just suck at detailing? : ) I hope it is not the last one cause I really like to detail!!!

I have been using my 7424 with XMT products with LLC Pads. I have used #3 with orange and #2 with white followed up by glaze and then topped off with Liquid Souveran. I have watched tons of videos on how to use the 7424 and think I am doing it right and while the car looks good after 5 minutes....a week or so later and it looks like crap again. I guess not crap, but I was hoping for better and am hard on myself.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? What is wrong with Nissan's paint? Or if I am using the wrong products on my particular car?

Thanks.

Do you have any pics? :Picture:
You mention that the car looks good for about a week. Do the swirls reappear after a week? I was in a similar situation with my car, and Rsurfer recommended Menz 106ff. I gave it a shot, and am sure glad I did.
Out of curiosity, what LSP are you using?

Remember

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison

94LT1
06-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Do you have any pics? :Picture:
You mention that the car looks good for about a week. Do the swirls reappear after a week? I was in a similar situation with my car, and Rsurfer recommended Menz 106ff. I gave it a shot, and am sure glad I did.
Out of curiosity, what LSP are you using?

Remember
So u just use 106ff with a orange pad??u dont use SIP?whats ur process??

blacknblu
06-16-2008, 08:53 PM
So u just use 106ff with a orange pad??u dont use SIP?whats ur process??
Initially, yes, but that left some major spider webs (my bad). I'm still finding the "ways that don't work" :D. Upon learning of my mistake, I used an orange pad with the 106ff for the major corrections, and then used the 106ff with a white pad on the entire vehicle. Heck, I even used the 106ff with a gray pad to see if I could muster a little more shine on the hood and front fenders. After cleaning the surface with a 50/50 water/alcohol spritz, I put on a coat of Wolfgang DGPS 3.0. After letting it cure for 12 - 16 hrs, I put on a coat of Megs Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax on the hood and front fenders. I had the Megs left over, and it does give it a touch more depth.

I admit, I may get better results if I use SIP in the process, but I have to go through the 'war department' for funding.

94LT1
06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Initially, yes, but that left some major spider webs (my bad). I'm still finding the "ways that don't work" :D. Upon learning of my mistake, I used an orange pad with the 106ff for the major corrections, and then used the 106ff with a white pad on the entire vehicle. Heck, I even used the 106ff with a gray pad to see if I could muster a little more shine on the hood and front fenders. After cleaning the surface with a 50/50 water/alcohol spritz, I put on a coat of Wolfgang DGPS 3.0. After letting it cure for 12 - 16 hrs, I put on a coat of Megs Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax on the hood and front fenders. I had the Megs left over, and it does give it a touch more depth.

I admit, I may get better results if I use SIP in the process, but I have to go through the 'war department' for funding.
Ya i totally agree.i dont have the funds for 106ff.i still havent tried my wolf gang 3.0 duo samples yet.im hopefully useing it on my moms 03 black impala.i personally would like to just use 106ff because of the price.so thats y i asked.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-16-2008, 09:20 PM
106FF is a final polish, SIP should be used for your correction, then a final polish on a finishing pad. Try SIP with a orange or green pad, then 106FF with a blue or gray/black pad. If you use 106FF with a white pad it should always be followed up with 106FF on a finishing pad.

Rsurfer
06-16-2008, 10:08 PM

Thanks.
I agree about Menz polishes, but perhaps the glaze is filling the marring you are seeing a week later. Trying redoing a panel and take it out in the sun to see if you corrected the marring. Also try using a white pad with xmt3 first and if that doesnt work then move up to an orange pad. BTW Nissans cc is soft.

Rsurfer
06-16-2008, 10:26 PM
BTW are you using the two bucket method to wash? Most scratches on black are caused by incorrect washing.

Mike T
06-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I too own a black 05' Altima. I haven't tried Menz products yet, but I have tried many other polishes. I can never seem to get all the imperfections out. My guess is they are below the clearcoat.
My polish of choice lately has been XMT360. It gets some of the swirls out and covers the rest. I've come to except the fact that I will never be able to get the finish imperfection free. I just concentrate more on products that will keep your eyes from seeing the imperfections.
In my opinion, Nissan paint jobs could be ALOT better.