PDA

View Full Version : Is it really true?

Pages : [1] 2

Largebore
06-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Is it really true that a thin coat of wax can protect a car from UV damage.Wow can someone explain the physics to me.

StephenK
06-14-2008, 02:47 PM
not sure if this is what you are looking for but here i go.

you car's paint can only take in so much of the oils and wax before it starts to repel it, if that happens it will be hazy and streaking. plus thick layers will "kill" you are trying to remove it.

ScottB
06-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Waxes, sealants, and even clearcoat paint can have UV inhibitors added into them to protect against the sun. Think of it as sunscreen for your car.

scottburton11
06-14-2008, 03:23 PM
According to Ultraviolet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Ultraviolet)

Blockers and absorbers

Ultraviolet Light Absorbers (UVAs) are molecules used in organic materials (polymers, paints, etc.) to absorb UV light in order to reduce the UV degradation (photo-oxidation) of a material. A number of different UVAs exist with different absorption properties. UVAs can disappear over time, so monitoring of UVA levels in weathered materials is necessary.
In sunscreen, ingredients which absorb UVA/UVB rays, such as avobenzone and octyl methoxycinnamate, are known as absorbers. They are contrasted with physical "blockers" of UV radiation such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. (See sunscreen for a more complete list.)

Right now a skeptic should be thinking "I wonder how much octyl methoxycinnamate is in my Fuzion?"

Largebore
06-14-2008, 05:22 PM
So how do these UV inhibitors work? Just because they are "in" the formula does not indicate that they are effective.

ScottB
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Im sure they've been tested like sunscreen, some samples without and some with to see if a difference is noted. The real question is how much is needed, and how can you be sure enough is left on surface, after all you buff off some of the product. I am no scientist, but sure there are some factors to it. Wheres TOGWT when we need him ...

wytstang
06-14-2008, 06:02 PM
TOGWT were are you???

XR5Turbo
06-15-2008, 01:36 AM
I'd really like to know the answer to how long these UV inhibitors last in waxes and sealants? I mean, we all know sunscreen is effective on skin but it usually only last 4 hours or so, even less with water.

So, what magical ingredient do car products that claim UV protection have in them that are so much more durable than the stuff we put on skin?

I know a lot of car product manufacturers claim UV inhibitors in their products but I don't remember any stating how long it lasts, could be 4 hours for all I know. I think ultimately it might be a bit of marketing hype.

Largebore
06-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Seems like maybe it is hype. But if so it is kind of serious in the sense that we are all content thinking our LSP is protecting our finish against UV and premature color loss...I mean that is one of the chief reasons to be for these waxes and sealants. Additionally, I would like to know what these LSP actually do protect against. I mean my car was bathed in the best wax and one bird poop and not three hours later the stain was so badly etched into my car that I had to compound it.
Beading water tricks look impressive but really, other than marketing talk has ANYONE any proof that LSP's do anything other than add some shine for awhile ?

budman3
06-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Seems like maybe it is hype. But if so it is kind of serious in the sense that we are all content thinking our LSP is protecting our finish against UV and premature color loss...I mean that is one of the chief reasons to be for these waxes and sealants. Additionally, I would like to know what these LSP actually do protect against. I mean my car was bathed in the best wax and one bird poop and not three hours later the stain was so badly etched into my car that I had to compound it.
Beading water tricks look impressive but really, other than marketing talk has ANYONE any proof that LSP's do anything other than add some shine for awhile ?

Sounds like a good time for a test ... take half of your car and wax it as you normally would. Leave the other half untouched and allow to bake in the sun for a few years, preferably in Arizona. Come back and report if you have the same thoughts. Of course that's unrealistic but sounds like the only answer for your questions.

Have you used a wax or sealant and still had UV paint damage - either fading or CC failure? If not, then the LSP is doing its job. Also the clear coat is applied to cars now to prevent the color pigments from oxidizing in the paint, unlike single stage paint jobs which can oxidize quickly without the proper care. I think Optimum is the only line that have UV absorbers in their products. What that is ... you've got me. All I know is keeping vehicles with a fresh coat of LSP I haven't seen any paint damages ...

As for the bird bomb, what "best wax' did you use? Traditional carnauba paste waxes usually protect better than show car waxes and especially sealants. One major downside to Zaino is that it stinks at protecting against the elements. Also, depending on what the bird ate depends on the etching. If they ate something acidic, guess what, it's going to etch if you don't remove it immediately.

Largebore
06-15-2008, 11:01 AM
hmmmm you would think that with most manufacturers touting the benefits of uv protection they would have done a test or consulted a chemist etc. I think that is their job not mine. It is my money they want. Now I say ok, I will part with my dough, but just prove your claims in the real world not on some young gals sun tanned backside with claims that it works on skin so it must work on cars.

Largebore
06-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Bird bomb.!!.. used Souveragn... it that did absolutely nothing. that i could tell to protect the car. and yes..plenty fresh wax so that is not an issue

Largebore
06-15-2008, 11:40 AM
WOW found this doing some research on top manufacturers website q&a...

"Some waxes do contain UV-protection agents, but the amount of protection that a microscopically thin layer of wax can provide is limited

The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint that contain UV-protection agents from the paint manufacture. If you wash and wax your car regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car.

Don't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true. Taking care of the paint you presently have will go further to protect your finish than relying on protection supplied by a liquid you pour out of a bottle, or a wax you scoop out of a can. UV protection in a car wax formula is only an extra-dose of preventative maintenance, not the end-all, cure-all that some companies would lead you to believe.

UV protection for paint is much different from UV blocking ingredients for human skin. The two formulas are nothing alike and work in drastically different ways. There is no correlation between the ratings applied to the different levels of sun blocking protection for products intended for use on human skin and the ingredients available for use in an automotive wax formula. Sad to say, much of what you see advertised about the protective qualities of most car care products on the market today is simply over-exaggerated hype used to separate you from your hard earned dollars."

ScottB
06-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Bird bomb.!!.. used Souveragn... it that did absolutely nothing. that i could tell to protect the car. and yes..plenty fresh wax so that is not an issue

I can tell you that a sealant seems to offer a lower degree of protection from doo-doo. I have been hit or miss (no pun) when using a wax, but most the time the sealant seems to scar with these droppings.

ScottB
06-15-2008, 05:19 PM

I can tell you that a sealant seems to offer a lower degree of protection from doo-doo. I have been hit or miss (no pun) when using a wax, but most the time the sealant seems to scar with these droppings.

What I will offer in closing, why not do a scientific test and stop waxing and sealing all together. Lets see how the finish fares at 1, 2, 3, 4 year marks. I can tell you unscientifically that cars that are kept up through washing and waxing are more attractive as used cars and normally seem in better condition from at least a finish stand point. Plus I prefer standing out and looking good, versus blending in to a crowd. Cars are depreciating items so no real benefit other than its a hobby.