PDA

View Full Version : Black car still marred??

pricha00
06-13-2008, 07:21 AM
2 year old Black Rav4 that is daily driven. I like to keep the finish as nice as possible. I have been going over it fairly regularly in the warmer months with my UDM and XMT #3 and #1 polishes. Usually covered with Poorboys EX-P sealant and some Collnite #845 wax. I am still finding that even after polishing if I look under direct sunlight and at the correct angle I am still seeing lots of ultra-fine scratches and such. My usual routine is to go over the same area twice with #3 on an orange pad and then twice again with #1 on a white pad. I don't normally clay my vehicle. Is this part of my problem? Also I am wondering if I am working the polish long enough? How translucent should it be before I stop working it? I can still see the polish when I remove it. I would guess that for a 2ft square area I am polishing for perhaps a minute and a half to two minutes. Any tips would really be appreciated. I have learned alot on these forums and I want to get better at this.

Pat.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-13-2008, 04:25 PM
I would buy Menzerna polishes which are alot better than what you have. I would go over the vehicle with SIP/orange pad, 106FF or 85rd on a white pad then a final polish with 106FF or 85rd on a blue or black finishing pad. This should take care of your problem. Also the towels that you are using might be causing the light scratches when removing your lsp. No need to clay again but I would switch polishes and do the above steps to cure your problem.

Rsurfer
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree with Asphalt Rocket about using Menz polishes, however if you dont want to go thru the added expense, try doing a section that has the miro scratches. Pick a day when the sun is up and do just one section, but work the 2X2 section for 4-5 mins. Wipe down with 50/50 alcohol and take it back into the sun for inspection. Be sure to use quality mf for your wipe down. BTW XMT 3 with an orange pad is pretty aggressive. Try using a white pad and see what happens.

pricha00
06-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I agree with Asphalt Rocket about using Menz polishes, however if you dont want to go thru the added expense, try doing a section that has the miro scratches. Pick a day when the sun is up and do just one section, but work the 2X2 section for 4-5 mins. Wipe down with 50/50 alcohol and take it back into the sun for inspection. Be sure to use quality mf for your wipe down. BTW XMT 3 with an orange pad is pretty aggressive. Try using a white pad and see what happens.

So would you try the XMT #3 on white and then XMT #1 on another white pad? I take it you are talking regualar isopryl alcohol and water in that 50/50 mix. Thanks for the advice, I want to improve.

Pat.