PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the Mequiars m105 yet.

Pages : [1] 2 3

redg35
06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I am going to try it tomorrow with the rotary for the first time ever using a rotary.I do have the flex 3401 as a backup incase my rotary noobism fails.I have read nothing but great reviews with this stuff and will find out tomorrow if it lives up to its claim.........................and will post pics.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Plenty of times, it is easy to use. I would suggest using it with a wool pad.

redg35
06-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I plan on using this with a purple wool foam pad.Do you think this will be ok.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-11-2008, 06:47 PM
It should be fine.

Lumadar
06-12-2008, 12:29 AM
I just used it with my FLEX and a LC Foamed Purple Wool Pad. It removed heavy swirls in a single pass.

Works great as a compound/heavy polish, but it dusts REALLY badly.

redg35
06-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys and the dust is no problem as my menzerna dust like crazy too.

ZoranC
06-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Works great as a compound/heavy polish, but it dusts REALLY badly.
Majority of times it does not dust. Few times I worked with it it did not dust on me, it did not dust on 15 or so people that attended Meguiar's Advanced Class at same time I did, it did not dust during multi-hour session I dropped by the other day, and according to person that I trust and that has used M105 for many moons before it even hit the market majority of times it does not dust on him either.

This is not to say it never dusts, any polish that has abrasive in it will eventually dust, it is just to say one can not say M105 dusts badly. That implies it as a rule. That is not correct. It is an exception, not a rule.

redg35
06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Well i used it with a white edge pad and i have never seen any polish flash as fast as m105 does.The 15 second work time was hard to get used to at first as i was trying to do a 2x2 area.I had to cut this down to a 15x15 area and would get 1 to 1 and 1/2 passes before it was done.
This stuff is incredible as it took out about 90% of the nasty swirls i had on my hood on 1 pass.I didnt want to do 2 passes so i just went with 106ff and finished it up.
Since this was my first try at using a rotary i did get quite a few buffer trails but 106ff took care of them.Sorry no pics yet but ill have them up soon.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Glad to here you had a posititve experience with M105 and it does flash quickly. I use it with wool and it will dust.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Zoran, why are you getting so worked up whether M105 dusts or not. This doesn't mean it isn't a great product. I think it is a great product but it does dust. I think it surprises people on how quickly it flashes but i dont see any problem with that. I hope you are not taking any of this as bashing the product but if it dusts it dusts, no biggie. The only thing I want out of a product if it works great and this one does, I just don't see how so many people are having a hard time using it though, maybe if they used it as designed there wouldn't be such a problem.

Lumadar
06-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Majority of times it does not dust. Few times I worked with it it did not dust on me, it did not dust on 15 or so people that attended Meguiar's Advanced Class at same time I did, it did not dust during multi-hour session I dropped by the other day, and according to person that I trust and that has used M105 for many moons before it even hit the market majority of times it does not dust on him either.

This is not to say it never dusts, any polish that has abrasive in it will eventually dust, it is just to say one can not say M105 dusts badly. That implies it as a rule. That is not correct. It is an exception, not a rule.
Lol, ok...thanks buddy ...I must be doing something terribly wrong then considering it flashes fairly quickly, and dusts horribly from the very get go on numerous pads and speeds. I wish I had your skills...shucks.

ZoranC
06-15-2008, 03:17 AM
Lol, ok...thanks buddy ...I must be doing something terribly wrong then considering it flashes fairly quickly, and dusts horribly from the very get go on numerous pads and speeds. I wish I had your skills...shucks.
No comment on your post as it is not constructive.

Instead here is a comment for the benefit of those that are interested to learn more.

I hope Kevin Brown (NXTi instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA team member, man behind "rub down" of number of infamous Alpine show vehicles, man whose work with product that became M105 outdoes almost everybody's short of actual developers) will not mind if I paraphrase him:

"Culprit of 'dust issue' with M105 is usually related to over-application of the product or polishing until the surface is dry".

Lumadar
06-15-2008, 03:39 AM
No comment on your post as it is not constructive.

Instead here is a comment for the benefit of those that are interested to learn more.

I hope Kevin Brown (NXTi instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA team member, man behind "rub down" of number of infamous Alpine show vehicles, man whose work with product that became M105 outdoes almost everybody's short of actual developers) will not mind if I paraphrase him:

"Culprit of 'dust issue' with M105 is usually related to over-application of the product or polishing until the surface is dry".
The problem *I* see with that advice is that it really only helps if you have an endless supply of fresh pads (ie work for Meg's).

The foamed wool pads for instance get gunked up very quickly, and the duospur and "on the fly cleaning" methods both fall short.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to create a nice tutorial video so we can see how you do it to produce dust-free results? We would all certainly benefit from that... :cheers:

ZoranC
06-15-2008, 04:02 AM
The problem *I* see with that advice is that it really only helps if you have an endless supply of fresh pads (ie work for Meg's).

The foamed wool pads for instance get gunked up very quickly, and the duospur and "on the fly cleaning" methods both fall short.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to create a nice tutorial video so we can see how you do it to produce dust-free results? We would all certainly benefit from that... :cheers:
Actually that session from other day that I mentioned was all done with single (regularly cleaned) pad (BTW, Kevin does not work for Meguiar's and buys pads out of his own pocket).

If foamed wool pads are not working for you maybe you should change to what does work as no training will help you if you are sticking to something that is not working well together.

Of course, this is under assumption that reason for them not working well together for you is in products and not in user. Considering I keep hearing about people being very happy how M105 and foamed wool pads work together ...

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-15-2008, 10:25 AM
If people are seeing it flash quickly and there is dusting they are using it correctly. When I first used it with wool I was in a rush and had dust everywhere, if you take your timeit does not dust but not that bad. The 3m wool pads I use have never once gummed up and there is minimal dusting when spurred. I agree it is in technique, but it does dust and flash quickly, but I still don't understand why people are having so much trouble using it.