PDA

View Full Version : Flex or Megs?

Full Throttle Speed
06-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I have never used a polisher, I will only use it for my own cars, so a couple times a year I guess. It is not so much a money issue as an issue of safety for the paint for me. It seems that the extra power of the flex also brings some more chance to do damage. Would that be accurate? The Megs seems like a little better buy than the PC sice it looks to be a midpoint machine to me. So considering this is a learning expeience (an expensive one if I hurt the paint) what do you recommend? Also I need a list of other items besides the machine that is recommeded, pads, polish, wax or whatever to get started. The money savings may also allow the purchase of some other toys like a foam gun :) but I really just want to get the right machine for me the first time.
Mike

Jimmie
06-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Nothing wrong with a Megs or PC IMO. There are still a lot of highly accomplished detailers on here using the PC.

MadOzodi
06-11-2008, 10:32 AM
I think you also need to consider the condition of the paint on each of your own cars. How much time do you want to spend polishing/correcting?

ScottB
06-11-2008, 02:53 PM
get the Flex now as possible, one less upgrade wanted/needed shortly. I tell you as a PC and UDM owner also.

Full Throttle Speed
06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I think you also need to consider the condition of the paint on each of your own cars. How much time do you want to spend polishing/correcting?

All my cars are fairly new, my 08 Vette only has 180 miles. My 86 Buick T-Type even has fairly good paint so not a lot of work to do but who knows what will happen in the future.
Mike

Full Throttle Speed
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
My big issue is making sure I do not buy something that is over kill for my application, that will be harder to use while learning what I am doing. I have also read about some folks having problems with Flex backplate I am not sure what the outcome of that is either.
ML

ScottB
06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Flex updated the backing plate, all the new units have it. I found that tightening the head upon receipt was all that was needed to date to use it properly. I hear they are quite good on replacement as needed too.

blacknblu
06-11-2008, 06:33 PM
My big issue is making sure I do not buy something that is over kill for my application, that will be harder to use while learning what I am doing. I have also read about some folks having problems with Flex backplate I am not sure what the outcome of that is either.
ML
<evil laugh>Moohaaahaaa</evil laugh>
I was in the similar situation when I was in the market for a polisher. I had absolutely 0 experience with a machine polisher, and was even a bit worried that a PC would be too much for me. I went with the Flex, and haven't looked back. I intended on only using it once a month (at most). I now use it at least once a week (granted, I've only had it about 5 weeks). As I drift off to sleep at night, I think outline the next weekends routine.
Simply put, RTFM, read up on the forums on AGO, and you should be just fine with whatever you choose.

tripperfx3
06-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Just go with the Flex. It's really going to be hard to burn the paint with any type of DA polisher. I currently have a UDM and correction take a LONG time... I'm going to be buying a flex shortly. I do, do this to make money, but I only have a few customers, so it's really just for me for the most part.

As far as other stuff needed you'll need at least one if not 2 of every color pad (maybe not yellow as thats for extremely bad paint), also some good polishes (Menzerna is really good and you get a lot for the money). As far as waxes and sealants go, look through autogeeks inventory and then come back to the forum to look for pics and see what you like. Waxes and sealants seem to come down to personal opinion.

Lumadar
06-12-2008, 12:41 AM
As I drift off to sleep at night, I think outline the next weekends routine.

LMAO. I do that EVERY night before a job. It sucks because I can't sleep because I go through my list of products and the order I want to do the detail and it keeps me up for hours :D

rwisejr
06-12-2008, 06:03 AM
get the Flex now as possible, one less upgrade wanted/needed shortly. I tell you as a PC and UDM owner also.

I agree with Killerwheels get the Flex . I own them all including a rotary and the Love my Flex especially now with the Edge adapter.You will definitely what to upgrade if you purchase either the UDM or PC .They are great machines but the Flex is the better machine by far.

Full Throttle Speed
06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
OK you guys talked me into it, Flex it is. I am going to start another thread about some supplies and accessories thanks for the help
Mike