PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat Issue on '05 s2000 - Help

Pages : [1] 2

gt_nfr
06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Here is the link to my thread on s2ki :
S2000 Forums -> Odd Paint Spots - Updated (http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=601316&st=0#entry13596736)

I just recently noticed that my clearcoat may be lifting off the paint.....on a 3 yr old car! I take great care of the paint and this is literally my worst nightmare. Has anyone else had a 3yr old car do this? Would this be something Honda would cover?

jesselyons2002
06-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Just wondering. Have you got this car repaint or has the car been in accident ???

gt_nfr
06-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Besides the rear bumper, everything is OEM paint. My rear bumper was resprayed last week after someone scraped me. However, I started noticing these clear coat issues on the fenders of my car before that and I asked the body shop what they thought it was they seem to think that my clear was lifting off in spots as well. What could cause this?

Gbody06
06-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi gt_nfr,
This is a Quote from a Odyclub.com member.
You may want to get Honda on the horn.
Good Luck. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Warranty Extension - Midnight Blue Pearl
Received notice today that Honda has partially extended the paint warranty on Midnight Blue Pearl '03 -'05 Odysseys.

Details -

"...[T]he following areas of exterior paint...are now covered for 7 years from its original purchase or lease date, with no mileage limit:

- Roof (including under the top edge of the tailgate, under the
top edge of the sliding doors, and the top panel of the sliding
doors)

- Hood

- Top half of the left and right quarter panels

- Top half of the front fenders

NOTE: All other painted areas are covered by [the basic warranty]."

The notice makes clear that this warranty extension only covers "horizontal (flat) surfaces."

gt_nfr
06-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks Gbody, I'm going to stop by the dealership soon. Whould I get an independent body shop to confirm the clear coat issue and then take it to a dealership? I'm just worried they'll deny it and say its nothing to worry about.

bryansbestwax
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a primer to base coat issue. Chrysler had this issue before. The chemicals for what ever reason repel each other.

gt_nfr
06-11-2008, 08:25 PM
The problem is my warranty just expired last week. I hope they will agree to something even though I'm out of warranty.

Rsurfer
06-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Are you saying you didnt notice this problem months ago? If so, why did you wait so long?

gt_nfr
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I noticed it a couple weeks ago. However, I wasn't sure what it was until I talked to a person at the body shop after getting my bumper resprayed last week (someone scraped my bumper). Even then, I only thought it was a few tiny spots. However, while waxing my car Sunday I was at an odd angle of the fenders kneeling down and noticed that it was large blotches instead of just small spots. I haven't had time this week (14hrs in a summer semester ain't fun), however I do want to take it to a body shop to show them what I saw this past weekend so that they can give me some sort of written confirmation so that the dealer will have to recognize it as a problem.
Do you guys think these steps are appropriate?

killrflake
06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I think some kind of letter from a quality body shop stating they feel your car is suffering from Clearcoat failure would go far in aiding your case with Honda.
I've owned several Hondas over the years and have found them to be helpful in resolving problems, and of course if the dealer rejects your request you can always request a regional rep hear your case. Your situation involves an S2000 which is one of Hondas higher priced cars and the fact your bringing this to their attention so close to the expiration of the warr. should not make or break your case as they have to realize this is not something that happened overnight. Please keep us informed on the outcome. Good luck.

Rsurfer
06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Are you pulling our legs. The link you posted is excessive and has been on there for months if not years. That car hasnt been waxed in a year or more.

Rsurfer
06-12-2008, 07:42 PM
http://www.carcomplaints.com/images/complaints/63388dce-e68d-102a-8410-9d9101539a0cr.png

gt_nfr
06-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Are you pulling our legs. The link you posted is excessive and has been on there for months if not years. That car hasnt been waxed in a year or more.

My first post in that link was from Jun 1st 2008.....10 days ago.

That was when I first took the pictures of some small spots I found, because they were becoming more of a concern since I couldn't get rid of them. I showed the small spots to the body shop after my bumper got painted on Jun 6th....and on jun 8th I found larger blotches while I was waxing (which was when I got really worried). Why would I waste my time on forums deceiving people??? I'm waiting for some sun so I can take some pictures to show you guys.

gt_nfr
06-12-2008, 07:46 PM
^^ thats not my car, I just posted that as an example of what I'm afraid of....thats an accord not an S2000 BTW.

Rsurfer
06-12-2008, 07:56 PM
^^ thats not my car, I just posted that as an example of what I'm afraid of....thats an accord not an S2000 BTW.Sorry, when I clicked on your link, it took me to that picture, so I thought it was a joke.