PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Meguiars and PC

chad3113
06-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Hey guys, I'm having probs with Meguiars 83 and it drying up pretty quick. I'm new to polishing and followed the videos by applying a quater size amount, but it seems as though it just soaks right up in the pad.

After a few passes there seems to be no more polish left on the car. I apply more, but after awhile it begins to cake up....so what do you guys think? Any tips or suggestions on a new polish?

Lumadar
06-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Sadly, that is fairly common with that product. In fact, I had the same problems TODAY.

I suggest using "cleaning on the fly" for your pad after every other application of 83.

Also, an OCCASIONAL light mist of something like Last Touch onto the pad will help reduce dusting, *but* over doing it will INDUCE gumming. Ugh!

It takes some practice but once you get it down you should enjoy it and the nice deep and wet shine it provides :cheers:

ScottB
06-08-2008, 10:47 AM
use a pad prep or water to spritz pad.

Z71 4X4
06-09-2008, 08:05 PM
use a pad prep or water to spritz pad.

I was going to ask if it's okay to spritz it toward the end of the polish cycle, where a novice like me might go to long after breaking down the polish, to avoid the risk of dry-marring the newly polished surface. I guess like was said above too much would make it gum up, but would a bit toward the end be okay to ensure against dry-marring?

101impala
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey Chad,

How long did you work the product? #83 works really well if you only work smaller sections at a time. Work like a 2' x 2' section. Do not work the product to a dry buff. You want to remove it while it is still wet. You don't want to work the product until it is gone.
Also consider temperature and humidity. When you are putting product on the pad go around the outer edge about 1/4 inch from the edge all the way around, not in the center of the pad. Always clean your pad on the fly.

Hope this helps
Andy
101impala

chad3113
06-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I used a light mist of spray detailer and seemed to eliminate the dusting.

Could someone explain "cleaning on the fly"...

Another question, are you supposed to apply a glaze before a sealant or after? I was under the impression of ... polish-> glaze-> sealant-> wax-> spray detailer... is this incorrect??

Lumadar
06-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I used a light mist of spray detailer and seemed to eliminate the dusting.

Could someone explain "cleaning on the fly"...

Another question, are you supposed to apply a glaze before a sealant or after? I was under the impression of ... polish-> glaze-> sealant-> wax-> spray detailer... is this incorrect??
Cleaning on the fly consists of essentially doing a "quickie" removal of the product buildup on the pad by using either a terry cloth or micro fiber towel and holing it against the pad as you run the buffer on a LOW speed. Many times it also helps to spritz the pad or towel with instant detailer to help break up the dried product as well.

This is something that can be done many times on the pad as you detail to help keep it fresh and reduce the number of pads required.

Glaze will come before any LSP product (wax or sealant). :cheers:

chad3113
06-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Cleaning on the fly consists of essentially doing a "quickie" removal of the product buildup on the pad by using either a terry cloth or micro fiber towel and holing it against the pad as you run the buffer on a LOW speed. Many times it also helps to spritz the pad or towel with instant detailer to help break up the dried product as well.

This is something that can be done many times on the pad as you detail to help keep it fresh and reduce the number of pads required.

Glaze will come before any LSP product (wax or sealant). :cheers:

Great, thanks for the quick response:righton: