PDA

View Full Version : optimum breakdown

Ron in MO.
06-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi All

I have a question about the use of Optimum polish and compound. 1. How the heck can you tell if it has broken down? I am fairly new at this using a rotary. I was working on a 14 year old Mustang with neglected paint. Temps high 80s, humidity 65-70%.in a garage, as I was working the product I noticed what I thought was dust BUT it was soft like the polish, like it balled up. I thought it might just be sling from start up, but I would apply polish to pads and then rub around so not to sling.I don't think(may get myself in trouble with that statement:)) I was using to much product, I was cleaning the pad a lot. any info will help,have a black car to work on this weekend dang black!!!! Have a great weekend Thanks Ron Herndon

Rsurfer
06-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi All

I have a question about the use of Optimum polish and compound. 1. How the heck can you tell if it has broken down? I am fairly new at this using a rotary. I was working on a 14 year old Mustang with neglected paint. Temps high 80s, humidity 65-70%.in a garage, as I was working the product I noticed what I thought was dust BUT it was soft like the polish, like it balled up. I thought it might just be sling from start up, but I would apply polish to pads and then rub around so not to sling.I don't think(may get myself in trouble with that statement:)) I was using to much product, I was cleaning the pad a lot. any info will help,have a black car to work on this weekend dang black!!!! Have a great weekend Thanks Ron HerndonSounds like your pad is gumming up. How much product did you use to prime the pad? Try using a clean pad and use only 2 nickle size drops, after that use only 2 pea size per 2X2 section and spur your pad after each section.

Ron in MO.
06-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I primed the pad(foam) with about a quarter size amount in the center of pad. I used 2-3 pea sized amounts per area. I may have not cleaned pad enough between sections? Could the humidity have had an effect on the polish/compound? Going to try again Sunday on the kids car. I guess I just need to practice,practice,practice:). Thanks again Ron Herndon