PDA

View Full Version : New to Power Polisher/Buffers

LichtS
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Would the flex be something easy to learn on? I have always hand waxed and polished my vehicles, and I have never used pads. I have seen pictures of some vehicles that have undergone polishing or paint correction and they look better than new. Please advise, I do not know what polishes or tool to use in the beginning. Thanks.

-LichtS

Lumadar
06-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Would the flex be something easy to learn on? I have always hand waxed and polished my vehicles, and I have never used pads. I have seen pictures of some vehicles that have undergone polishing or paint correction and they look better than new. Please advise, I do not know what polishes or tool to use in the beginning. Thanks.

-LichtS
Yes! I started with a Meg's G100, but then recently upgraded to the FLEX. I can say both are great tools, but the FLEX brings your correction ability to a whole new level.

It is not as dangerous as a Rotary, *but* it can cause damage if you aren't careful. Don't let that scare you though, as you can easily learn it safely with a little reading online + starting out slowly with safe pads, polishes, and speeds. :buffing:

ScottB
06-06-2008, 09:05 PM
The Flex is still plenty safe and much more powerful than the PC. It would be my original choice now that I have the PC, UDM, and Flex.

LichtS
06-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Thank you for the replies guys, I'm still a newb at this so I appreciate it. I think my father and I are going to split the cost of a FLEX and get to work on our cars.

ONE MORE QUESTION: Are polishes just pretty preference and dependent on the color of paint, or is there a company or group of polishes that everyone seems to use? Sorry for not searching!

-LichtS

Lumadar
06-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Thank you for the replies guys, I'm still a newb at this so I appreciate it. I think my father and I are going to split the cost of a FLEX and get to work on our cars.

ONE MORE QUESTION: Are polishes just pretty preference and dependent on the color of paint, or is there a company or group of polishes that everyone seems to use? Sorry for not searching!

-LichtS
Well, like cars themselves there are always followers of particular brands, as well as brand hoppers if you will.

I have a combination of Meguiar's products for the majority of details (cheaper), as well as the Menzerna line of polishes for my $200-300+ detail jobs.

I would suggest starting out with either Meguair's #80 and #83, or the Poorboys SSR line as they are both quite popular and relatively inexpensive compared to others.

Hope this helps :welcome:

ScottB
06-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Menzerna polishes seem univerally well liked and easy to use with nice results. Others are offered, but Menzerna is the hot polish line currently.

LichtS
06-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Thank You for the welcome and for the replies in regards to polishes and buffers guys, I'm sure I will be posting progress or other questions I might have soon.

-LichtS

jayjacque
06-07-2008, 10:05 PM

-LichtS

I'm in the same boat as you, totally new to machine polishing. And pretty much settled on a Flex, unless I just get a killer deal on a UDM. Either way budget won't allow right away. Good to hear these positive responses.

ScottB
06-08-2008, 10:50 AM
If you cannot swing the cost of the Flex, then consider Megs G110. It has more power than PC and UDM and a nice middle ground.