PDA

View Full Version : Need another 2 stepper

dublifecrisis
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Ok, so just like every other passionate newb on this board, I'm starting to accumulate a bunch of products. My original order from AG was the PC/Menzerna intro kit. I've done half a dozen or so 2 step details and I like the Menzerna. The summer heat here in Florida has me thinking I should switch over to something else. Also, I've added products to my arsenal for situations requiring more correction and less correction.

From what I've added, can you pros suggest some combinations (1 step/2 step/3 steps) and I'd love to even hear why or why not to combine certain products. I can order something else if I absolutely have to :D Mainly I'm looking for another go to everyday 2 stepper:

Meguire's #105
Meguire's #83
Duragloss 101
Duragloss 105
Optimum Poli-seal

and as I stated, I've got about 10-12 oz left of the Intensive Polish and Final Polish (it sure does get dusty in this heat)

builthatch
06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
have you considered just going the Optimum route with their compound and polish? it's pretty hassle free. i've been able to get sealant/wax ready glass perfect finishes with either just the polish and orange pad, or, if the damage is more severe, compound/orange pad, followed by the polish.

you already have the poli-seal, so really you are armed for pretty much anything if you get the two items above.

dusting is pretty much non-existent compared to some other stuff on the market, and working times are long for both. it's also a pretty good value.

dublifecrisis
06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Yes I have considered Optimum and haven't ruled it out. I've seen some stories where people don't get the correction they expected with both the compound AND the Polish. I'm sure some are user error. Working time can be good and bad though right? btw-I also have Opti-seal, ONR, OCW, and Opt Instant Detailer and I love all their products so far.

sal329
06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Check out Prima Swirl for a polish/swirl remover and Epic for an LSP.

ScottB
06-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Once you go Menzerna ... you'll likely come back.

dublifecrisis
06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Once you go Menzerna ... you'll likely come back.

well yeah, it's the heat/humidity though that has me wondering if Menzerna is more of a seasonal polish. and maybe the fact that I'm kinda regretting just getting the Instensive polish/Final polish vs. the SIP. Maybe I'll go with SIP next time or move on. Intensive polish on a PC requires extra passes on 50% of the Clearcoats I've done. The exception being a Lexus IS I worked on but the 3 GM all required multiple passes.

I want a knock out combo that's versatile even if it means I have 2 first steps to choose from.

example:
Moderate/heavy correction needed-
M105
Ultrafina??

Light swirls-
M83/SIP/OPP
OPS/UF/DG105

Lumadar
06-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't have an answer for you yet, as I am playing around with my Menzerna or Meg's 80/83/105 stuff as we speak. Send me a PM if you are really interested and after the clients I have booked for this upcoming week I hope to have this down myself.

I would love to pass anything I gain (knowledge) along to others. :cheers:

dublifecrisis
06-06-2008, 04:33 PM
cool thanks. I've been paying closer attention attn lately at what others are raving about and also what people don't like. As much as I like Optimum, I see more "didn't do much" threads with Polish and Compound by Opt. But good ol Meguire's seems to always get consistent good reviews. and as much as people all love Menzerna, it just gets a little finicky when all the stars aren't lined up right.

I don't have #80 but do let me know what you think after you've used 80/83/105.

Driven Auto Detail
06-06-2008, 05:33 PM
M105 for heavy cutting
SIP for medium cutting
Ultrafina for final polishing

Optimum's polishes are great if you're working out in the sun (think mobile detailer). No dusting in the hot sun is a nice plus. If you're working by PC though, you might just want to go with the ones I mentioned above. Meguiars newer polishes seem to be pretty good (M105, M95). I don't care for 80/83 anymore. Menzerna...not much to be said that hasn't been said already. Good stuff.

zaxjax
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I've had good results with Optimum in the heat, and Menzerna is good when is cooler out. M83 is ok but can be finicky, and I hear nothing but good things about M105.