PDA

View Full Version : Some Detailing Questions????

Pages : [1] 2

stang1101
06-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm pulling my Mach 1 out this weekend and I want to give it a full detail. I've done some detailing on other cars, but am still a little clueless. The plan is to wash it with Optimum NO Rinse wash, Liquid Clay Bar, NU finish polish, and still undecided on the wax. Is this the right order or are there steps missing? My friend has a PC orbital that he said I could borrow. Would it be worth it to apply the polish or to just do it by hand?

makdaddy626
06-05-2008, 03:52 PM
The "official" motto is "Wash - Clay - Polish (true abrasive polish) - Protect.

Looks like your order is correct but a few comments to share:

1) I have no experience with liquid clay bar but have seen several comments posted on line that it is not as affected as "real" clay.
2) Nufinish Polish is really a sealant rather than a true polish - and not a very good one (IMO) - not that it doesn't look ok or anything really bad... but, as with many cheaper sealants and waxes it can be a PAIN to apply and remove and the looks are (IMO) less than can be optained with other products. If you're looking for OTC products, consider Duragloss, Mothers, or Meguires. They all make good products that are affordable and readily available.

stang1101
06-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I have been hearing that liquid clay bars are less susceptible to scratches in the clear coat than the traditional hard clay bar.

What kind of polish would you recommend for OTC?
What kind of wax?

With the polish, do I need to apply it with a PC (having no experience) or can I do it by hand?
Same with wax?

mjfx
06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
You dont have to use a PC but you should if you can.

sal329
06-05-2008, 05:47 PM
If your looking for OTC I would do something like this
Wash with Meguiars Gold Class or Deep Crystal (Walmart)
Clay with Meguiars Smooth Kit (comes with 2 bars of clay, MF towel and quick detailer) (Walmart)
Now it would depend on the paints condition for the next step
If the car has swirls Meguiars M83 and M80 with the PC would be good (Auto Parts store or Auto Paint Supply)
Top with Meguiars NXT 2.0 (Walmart)
That is if you would like to pick it all up locally

And Pics of the Mach ASAP

ScottB
06-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Nufinish is a highly solvent junky paint sealant ... dont use it. Get a dedicated polish and a good wax.

stang1101
06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Nufinish is a highly solvent junky paint sealant ... dont use it. Get a dedicated polish and a good wax.

well whats a relatively inexpensive OTC car polish that I can apply by hand before the wax? BTW what do you guys use to apply your wax, just a foam pad?

ScottB
06-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I dont like polishing by hand, a little to much results for so much work. Gotta get a buffer when $$ permit. Order a little product from Clearkote called Vanilla Moose (we no longer sell it), about the best hand polish. You can get 100% carnauba wax from Mothers locally in a tin can or Megs #23 in can and both work well and inexpensive.

NickP
06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Hmm, I'd Meguiars ColorX is a good OTC by hand polish. As a matter of fact I've used it with great success. I still like it better via PC and a Finishing Pad.

Also the Deep Crystal System polish is good as well.

ColorX works well on the Mustang's the clear is pretty soft, espcially on the Mach's make sure you keep that thing protected well they water etch/pit way to easily.

Here was my Mach 1 with Color X and #26 Paste Wax from Meguiars

Working on the pic one second lol

NickP
06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Hmm, I'd Meguiars ColorX is a good OTC by hand polish. As a matter of fact I've used it with great success. I still like it better via PC and a Finishing Pad.

ColorX works well on the Mustang's the clear is pretty soft, espcially on the Mach's make sure you keep that thing protected well they water etch/pit way to easily.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t251/SimHL/nickmach.jpg

stang1101
06-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Working on the pic one second lol

Thanks for the info. See my friend has a PC that he said I could borrow, but I'm not to familair and either is he. Do I just use that ColorX or Deep Crystal System Polish with the PC. Do you just spread it on the paint and move back and forth on a certain speed?

NickP
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
He should have pads for the PC...

The best way to work Color X via PC for me was,

Get A Finishing Pad (any of the manufacturers will do)

Make an "X" with the polish

Dab the Pad on the Panel to get the polish covering the area you will be working

Set PC speed to about 3 maybe 3.5

You don't have to do anything fancy with Color X it was designed for use by hand. Focus on getting even coverage of the section your polishing.

Then move on to your next section and apply more Color X as needed.

Color-X does have some paint protection.

Do yourself a favor and pick up some NXT 2.0 at Wal-Mart it's a great OTC sealant.

94LT1
06-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Both meguiars and Mothers carry a three step product that OTC. They are all applied by hand.If ur friend doesnt have multiple pads then id wouldnt use the PC.but steps i would take by hand are:
Meguiars Gold Class soap
Meguiars clay kit
either Mothers or Meguiars 3 step.
Meg NXT 2.0 has cleaners and fillers in it so if u would use polish then NXT u would be wasteing ur time because it would clean and pick up all the polish u used.I personally would substitute the last step wax with meguiars #26.all of those products can be bought at the parts store.Stay away from turtle wax ice.its all junk.especially the liquid clay bar.i didnt get any results at all with it(i bought it last year before i joined on autogeek).i will say this.all 3 steps by hand can easily wear ur back and hand out.You could probably get away with a cleaner wax then a wax of ur choice to save ur back and arms.

NickP
06-06-2008, 09:15 AM
From Mike Pennington at Meguiars

"Please don't get M21 2.0 or even Tech Wax 2.0 confused with any type of cleaner/wax. The so called "cleaners" in the product are there for other reason than "prepping" the surface."

The cleaners in NXT 2.0 are not strong enough to strip what you have already done the cleaners are very light.

I stand by my statement that NXT 2.0 would be the perfect choice because it has amazing swirl filling capabilities.

Check out this thread.

NXT hides swirls? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22291&highlight=NXT+Cleaners)

wytstang
06-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Coming into AG's forums and trying to take business from them via there own forum is pretty crappy. :spam