PDA

View Full Version : Best Polished Aluminum Wheel Cleaner??

FairladyZ
06-05-2008, 11:04 AM
I need an answer on this ASAP! As I'm down to the wire with getting our Camaro ready for shows in 2 weeks (namely the GM Nationals). I want to clean the inner rim of the wheel that is caked with brake dust. Polish I'm good on, it's just the cleaner that's got me stumped as I don't want anythig to harm the uncoated aluminum :confused:

Thanks guys!!

Jimmie
06-05-2008, 12:03 PM
The safest and one that you can let dwell on the wheel longer, P21S Wheel Cleaner.

supercharged
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
P21S. I strongly recommend gel formula.

Matt S.
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
If it's not polished, I wouldn't really worry about harming it...I've used some pretty aggressive products and DP Exterior Surface Cleaner seems to work great on inner wheel barrels without any adverse effects. For polished aluminum surfaces, P21S is the way to go.

FairladyZ
06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
P21S gel was going to be my first choice. Glad to see everyone agrees :) Nothing quite like thinking of last minute details is there?
Thanks!

mjfx
06-05-2008, 04:53 PM
I like simple green for very dirty areas

ScottB
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Simple Green will stain and etch uncoated wheels ... use the P21S, it all I trust on high dollar uncoated forged wheels. Three years and counting !

94LT1
06-05-2008, 08:22 PM
how do u no if wheels r coated or not?

mini titan
06-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I used the Collinite metal wax from AG for my stainless and chrome and it has no polish abrasives from what I read. It helps keep the metal looking new and it actually beads water.

Matt S.
06-06-2008, 08:48 AM
how do u no if wheels r coated or not?

uncoated wheels will oxidize quickly and require periodic polishing with a metal polish. Generally, all OEM wheels are either clearcoated or chrome.

Like killr said, DO NOT use Simple Green on any aluminum.

FairladyZ
06-06-2008, 09:27 AM
OMG I'd NEVER use simple green!! Unless I'm cleaning the floor in the garage, that's it. I have the P21S Gel cleaner arriving on Monday :) I have GOT to get this car cleaned up.

The wheels are AR Torq-Thurst (II ?) polished aluminum. I have no idea if they are coated or not, they came with the Camaro. I'm not taking any chances of damaging them. Not this close to show time.

Al-53
06-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Simple Green has a safe cleaner..it is called Extreme Simple Green..its a aircraft cleaner..will not harm aluminum....

Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner - More Info (http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext_mor.php)

I bought some at Graingers here a while back to wash my ATV engine casings..works great....have used it on car engine cleaning..no white blooms on the aluminum....cleans wheels like a champ ..even uncoated ones...

good product

AL