PDA

View Full Version : Newb who needs help

ChevyPusha
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Hello guys im brand new to the forum currently my only expierence with detailing is a $40 orbital buffer and megs pro line products which actually have provided great results in the past but now its time to step my game up

I recently just ordered the PC 7424 (just the unit itseld no pads or products) this does come with the backing plate correct or is this sold sep? I also have the how to use the PC 7424 DVD which I watched a couple time I got it down pat just awaiting my PC now

My situation is this I recently had my 96 Impala SS re-painted (been close to 2 months now) and its needs to be buffed out preety bad the biggest issue is a cloudy haze in the paint (not many swirls or scratches in the paint what so ever) I plan to wash and clay bar (any brands of clay or clay kits recommended or is clay basically just clay?) My main question is what brand or type of pads should I use for this job is a Orange pad to aggressive should I use megs pads part number WAxxx like in the instuctional DVD??? my painter gave me 3M Perfect-It III finishing glaze to use any product you guys think would provide better results??? I am really going for the wet/glossy deep look.

I know that was alot but im basically just looking for suggestion on pads and paint cleaner products for my particular situation

ScottB
06-03-2008, 03:39 PM
If you bought the PC alone, outside of a kit with AG, then you will need to get a backing plate (flexible) and pads. You can also consider the Edge system and going to adapter versus hook/loop pads that are used with a backing plate.

As for clay, you can use the Wolfgang Clay as wanted and get the DP Clay Lube for best value. Megs pads have different color/abrasive scales than Lake Country which makes the Wolfgang pads here. I would get one finishing (light), polishing (med), and abrasive (light abrasive) per car. The polish you listed is a finishing polish.

ChevyPusha
06-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Could you please get a little more in-depth as to which products (pads and cleaners) will work best in my current situation??? I assume the Finishing glaze that he gave me is not what I should be using??? What cleaner should I use??? As far as pads what brand do you suggest??? Should I just use a polishing bad????

dublifecrisis
06-04-2008, 10:44 AM
I think this depends a lot on the actual paint process that was used. If you had your car repainted by a shop, the process they used could sway people's opinions in this forum. I'm not an expert so I don't have any advice other than to maybe ask the paint shop.

Jimmie
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
You are going to be tempted to use the backing plate/permanent white pad that comes with your PC if you have no BP or pads coming. Use extreme caution. It will fail (separate) and can cause damage when the white foam spins off. Doesn't take long to happen.
I'd suggest 5.5" or 6" pads. BP should be smaller than pads, 5".

ChevyPusha
06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I think this depends a lot on the actual paint process that was used. If you had your car repainted by a shop, the process they used could sway people's opinions in this forum. I'm not an expert so I don't have any advice other than to maybe ask the paint shop.

It was not painted in a shop, it was done by a good body/paint guy from his garage he sprayed the clear in a booth about 5-6 layers of PPG clear

ChevyPusha
06-04-2008, 12:48 PM
You are going to be tempted to use the backing plate/permanent white pad that comes with your PC if you have no BP or pads coming. Use extreme caution. It will fail (separate) and can cause damage when the white foam spins off. Doesn't take long to happen.
I'd suggest 5.5" or 6" pads. BP should be smaller than pads, 5".

Yeah I have no plans to use the white pad that comes with the PC I will be purchasing the smaller BP the AG sells along with 2-3 pads im just lost on what brand and type of pad to use in my situation been looking at Cobra Cross grove pads (any opinions?) and CCS Lake County pads