PDA

View Full Version : Flex questions

russde
06-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi all,
Quick questions for those working with the flex.

I've been using a PC, recently picked up some 5.5" Lake pads to supplement my original 6" ones. Also have a 3.5" backing plate and have been using the 4" pads to do spot areas and also for smaller areas (bumpers, 'c' pillars, etc.)
I just bought a flex. I'll obviously be using my 6" pads but am curious about something. I know that the increased power of the flex will take care of the corrections and I won't need the 4" pads for that, but how do you use the larger pads on the flex in the small areas? If the pad needs to stay flat but hangs out out over the area being polished.
Also, I've never been TOO concerned about exactly centering the pads on the PC, but with the forced rotation of the flex it's probably more important. What methods do you use to center the pad on the bp? Do you mark the pad edges?
Thanks,
Russ

Z06-Goose
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Ok. Here's my take...
You always will need smaller pads do do certain jobs in tight areas where it may overlap with trim, windows, etc...
Though the Flex is powerful enough to do what you want it to do, a smaller pad is still needed
For what I understand, you can send your backing plate to Edge to have them make a conversion that will enable you to use all of their different size pads
I'm not up to speed on how it works exactly, as I'm also collecting info on this as I want to order a Flex with this set-up myself

dennish
06-02-2008, 03:22 PM
On the Flex and most rotary the backing plate has a hole in the center about the size of 5/8 or 3/4 deep well socket and the same size holes in the LC pads and most others pads. Just stick the deep well socket in the hole on the back plate and use it as guide to center that pad. Of coarse, remove the socket before buffing…

ScottB
06-02-2008, 04:25 PM
until the Edge adapter or smaller backing plate is offered for Flex, you might wanna keep the PC for small and hard to reach areas.

russde
06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. I was hoping to be able to sell the PC to recoup some of the flex costs, oh well, never hurts to have a back up.

rwisejr
06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. I was hoping to be able to sell the PC to recoup some of the flex costs, oh well, never hurts to have a back up.

He I have the Flex and trhe edge adapter .But always good to have a back up unit.Things happen . Currently My PC is setup with the carpet brush and is now handling carpet duty.

ZoranC
06-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Like rwisejr, PC has more than one use, so one should keep their PC even when having Flex if they can afford it.

russde
06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will be keeping the PC as recommended.
New question: I've read here and elsewhere that I should add some oil to the felt ring, some have said " a dab " and others "soak". Any advice on how much to put on?

MadOzodi
06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't say soak it, because it'll sling off onto your car's paint. I would dab and allow it to soak through after a few hours. Whatever you do, don't get the felt ring wet. I just purchased a 3.5" BP for my UDM to use in the tight spots and on the A-pillars.