PDA

View Full Version : How to Drum up Some Business?

Pages : [1] 2

breitlingtim
05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi fellow detailers...I started doing this on the side outside friends and family about a month ago. Can anyone give me some info on how to tap into some new business? I am grabbing a couple jobs here and there from friend referrals, but I would like to try and grab some more. I like the work and the extra money doesn't hurt. I have background in advertising and ad design so that's not hard just wondering where the best place to distribute such ads. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

Have a great one!

WindyCity
05-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Funny I was wondering the same thing....I have never advertised before and I was thinking about it but how many people look at the back of newspapers and such? I cant imagine that much work coming from ads in newspapers. I have handed out flyers in the area door to door but it seems to go nowhere. And some of the other ways to advertise are really expensive for a part time gig!

94LT1
05-31-2008, 11:57 PM
If u have a fulltime job allready i wouldnt push ur luck. If u place a add in the local paper u might end up with more work then u want. That can easilly turn a Fun hobby into a chore. My personal opinion id just say stick with word of mouth.just my $0.02.

PTRon
06-01-2008, 07:15 AM
:whs: However - Since you already have a full time job you're in a pretty unique position. You can pick & choose the cars you want to detail. Once you start advertising you'll probably get alot of calls from folks that are 1) are price shopping, and 2) driving rolling pig stys. Then there are the issues of licensing, insurance, code enforcement, etc. to consider. All of that considered, you may want to start with local car meets, car shows, car clubs in your area. There are alot of people that are 'car crazy', the secret is finding them. Good luck.

breitlingtim
06-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I forgot to mention I am kind of in a unique situation with my other job because I am part owner of a Real Estate Franchise in my town with my father so I kind of make my own schedule there as well. I basically open the office everyday at 8:30 and my father comes in around 12:00-12:30. So if I have a car that day I leave and do that the rest of the day. I told myself too that if I pick up 5-10 cars a month that aren't from my circle of friends or family that I would get insurance and everything to cover me completely. I am very liked in the real estate community here and I am going to send out an email to my Realtor database that I know have high end cars (I live in a very rich area of New Jersey where some of the beach front homes sell in the $10,000,000-$20,000,000 range. A buddy of mine spends winters down in The Keys and he basically gives me his Aston Martin DB9 to watch after...SWEET CAR!). I would like to try and start like a routine cleaning program where anyone who gets a full detail would also have the option for a weekly or bi-weekly hand wash and interior clean...any suggestions what to charge for something like that? Thanks again for the help guys.

94LT1
06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I forgot to mention I am kind of in a unique situation with my other job because I am part owner of a Real Estate Franchise in my town with my father so I kind of make my own schedule there as well. I basically open the office everyday at 8:30 and my father comes in around 12:00-12:30. So if I have a car that day I leave and do that the rest of the day. I told myself too that if I pick up 5-10 cars a month that aren't from my circle of friends or family that I would get insurance and everything to cover me completely. I am very liked in the real estate community here and I am going to send out an email to my Realtor database that I know have high end cars (I live in a very rich area of New Jersey where some of the beach front homes sell in the $10,000,000-$20,000,000 range. A buddy of mine spends winters down in The Keys and he basically gives me his Aston Martin DB9 to watch after...SWEET CAR!). I would like to try and start like a routine cleaning program where anyone who gets a full detail would also have the option for a weekly or bi-weekly hand wash and interior clean...any suggestions what to charge for something like that? Thanks again for the help guys.
Ya after getting some high end customers id stop there. They would probably spread the word if u wanted them to then you should have plunty of work to do.The work speaks for itself. A guy up the street from my girlfriend is retired and has been detailin on the side for years and he has enough business that he does atleast 1 car a day 6 days a week(hes off on sunday). He does everything by hand but he has repeat customers and those customers spread the word and he has more then enough work.

breitlingtim
06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I am going to keep my fingers crossed for word of mouth business then. I figured that's the best case scenario. Thanks for all the help.

Only one other questions....I have been charging between $100-$150 for machine polish plus full interior vac and shampoo...is that inline with what the average guy on the side would charge? Thanks.

It's a beautiful day at the beach and I am here stuck in the office....can't wait to get home...haha.

zaxjax
06-01-2008, 05:05 PM
I would stick to word of mouth. I'm like you and make my own schedule, make a six figure income and do this as a hobby. I make a little money but have more fun and meet great people being picky with clients.

94LT1
06-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Only one other questions....I have been charging between $100-$150 for machine polish plus full interior vac and shampoo...is that inline with what the average guy on the side would charge? Thanks.

it depends on how long it takes u.For the exterior it takes me 4-5 hours for a average size car(that includes bringing all my supplies out then cleaning them all up and takeing pictures).i charge roughly 30 dollars an hour just so its worth my time.just make it worth ur time so ur not just working for pennys.

Brandon1
06-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I have printed flyers and made cards and passed them out for the past year. I dont get much work from them actually, I get work from heresay. I wished I could have more work honestly, I do this full time for summer and part time for winter, I would love to have enough clients to pick and choose what I do. Right now I have to wash everyone that calls, I dont get to pick lol

PTRon
06-02-2008, 05:38 AM
"I have been charging between $100-$150 for machine polish plus full interior vac and shampoo". That sounds waaay too cheap! Not enough info. though. Is that a 1-step polish? Do you have a hot water extractor? If not, how are you shampooing the interior. How long does it take you? Are you mobile or are the clients bringing their cars to you? List your steps and the time each step takes for an accurate answer.

breitlingtim
06-02-2008, 07:33 AM
No I have been doing two step polishes. Also every car I do gets a coat of Klasse SG and Liquid Souveran. I use a hoover steam vac ( I basically Boil the water before i put it in the machine so the water is nice and hot and stays that way pretty much the whole time I shampoo. Everything usually takes me 6-7 hours on an average sized car. I did a Tahoe last week and it was dropped off to me the night before so I started at 9pm stopped at 12am and then picked it up the next day at 10am and was done everything by 5pm. I charged $175 for the Tahoe.

Wash - about 30-45 mins (wheels, tire wells and engine)

vac and shampoo - 1 hour

Interior Dressings - 30 mins

polishing - 4-5 sometimes 6 hours

Klasse - application and removal about 1 hour

Liquid Souveran - application and removal about 1 hour

Windows - 20-25 mins

Tires and wells Dressed - 10-15 mins

Wax applied to Wheel - 20 mins

I think that's all. After putting it all down like this I feel I should be charging more...lol...but how much is fair? I thank everyone for all their help!

Brandon1
06-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Honestly, thats what I get in my area, but I wished I could charge more. I wished I could charge $250 for that detail.

You have to look on the bright side, how many people make $175 on a little part time side job doing something they like to do?

94LT1
06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
No I have been doing two step polishes. Also every car I do gets a coat of Klasse SG and Liquid Souveran. I use a hoover steam vac ( I basically Boil the water before i put it in the machine so the water is nice and hot and stays that way pretty much the whole time I shampoo. Everything usually takes me 6-7 hours on an average sized car. I did a Tahoe last week and it was dropped off to me the night before so I started at 9pm stopped at 12am and then picked it up the next day at 10am and was done everything by 5pm. I charged $175 for the Tahoe.

Wash - about 30-45 mins (wheels, tire wells and engine)

vac and shampoo - 1 hour

Interior Dressings - 30 mins

polishing - 4-5 sometimes 6 hours

Klasse - application and removal about 1 hour

Liquid Souveran - application and removal about 1 hour

Windows - 20-25 mins

Tires and wells Dressed - 10-15 mins

Wax applied to Wheel - 20 mins

I think that's all. After putting it all down like this I feel I should be charging more...lol...but how much is fair? I thank everyone for all their help!
Id say ur price is a little low.like i said make about 30 dollars an hour and make a approxiamtion of how much cost is on ur supplies.also r u topping souveran over ur sealant right away??ur supposed to let it cure for atleast 8-12 hours before u put ne thing over it.

breitlingtim
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Everyone...Thank again for all of your suggestions and opinions...they are all greatly appreciated.

94LT1: Yes I wait overnight to apply Souveran. Thanks...made that mistake before.

P.S. Just wanted to let everyone know I put an ad on Craig's List YEsterday and Picked up three cars today from it. I never had success with anything on craigs list but I was pleasantly suprised this time. Have a great one guys.