PDA

View Full Version : First detail this sunday but still confused

Pages : [1] 2

onexvi3tboi
05-30-2008, 08:13 AM
I am going to do my first detailed this sunday. I got my order in already and received it yesterday. It's the Pinnacle Interior/Exterior Kit. Only thing is I don't have any tires dressing/cleaner or do I have any clay kit. I plan to order some so a few product you think should be good for my car let me know. For now I might run out to Advance Auto Part and pick up a black magic clay kit? Is that right someone suggested it to me before. Oor Mother clay kit?

When you apply a clay kit on, do you use the MF to buff it off or just wipe it off?

Still confused on the leather. I vacuum the leather then I apply the solution on and let it sit for a bit and buff or wipe it off?

I'm so anxious because it'll be my first detail ever. Hopefully I do a great job and I'll try to take some pictures.

makdaddy626
05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
As far as over-the-counter clays go, I think they probably mentioned Clay Magic rather than Black Magic, personally I like the Meguires clay kits, they come with clay, qd lube, and a mf towel, all for around 15 - 20 bucks. Check out the videos available on the AG site for explanations of how to to clay - basically, you wash the car, spray an area with a lubricant (quick detailer) and then rub the clay back and forth across the paint with very light pressure. At first it will feel grabby, go over the area until it slides effortlessly - once you try it you'll understand. Then towel off the excess lube and move on to the next section.

Here are the directions for Pinnacle leather cleaner...

Directions:

Vacuum your seats and interior to remove loose dirt.
Mist a damp towel with Pinnacle Leather & Vinyl Cleaner and massage into the upholstery. Particularly soiled areas may require agitation with an upholstery brush.
Use the cleaner sparingly and do not allow it to dry on the upholstery.
Wipe away excess cleaner with a clean, dry Cobra Super Plush Deluxe Microfiber Towel.
If using this product on vinyl, follow with Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Protectant to replenish oils and keep leather soft.
If using this product on leather, follow with Pinnacle Leather Conditioner to replenish oils and keep leather soft.

Apply the conditioner with a a mf towel or your bare hands (it smells and feels like lotion anyway), rub it in, then buff it with a clean towel.

blacknblu
05-30-2008, 09:30 AM
When you apply a clay kit on, do you use the MF to buff it off or just wipe it off?

one - The first time I clayed my car, I used Megs Clay kit. It came with two clay bars, a bottle of QD, and a MF. After washing and drying, be sure and lubricate the surface with a QD, and then run the clay bar over the surface. If you use the right amount of QD, there will be no clay sticking to your paint's surface (you don't want the clay to stick to the paint). Then you wipe of the QD with the MF. Because I didn't know what affect Megs QD would have, I went ahead and washed my car a second time before polishing and waxing. That may have been a bit of overkill, but I didn't want to risk it (being my first time and all).

I don't know if it was the clay, or just that my car is well kept, but I didn't see near the contaminates in the clay that I was expecting (hardly any at all). Nonetheless, I put my hand in a sandwich bag, and the surface felt smooth. Hope this helps...

All - If what I mentioned is incorrect (or if there is a better way), please chime in and let me know.

makdaddy626
05-30-2008, 10:00 AM
one - The first time I clayed my car, I used Megs Clay kit. It came with two clay bars, a bottle of QD, and a MF. After washing and drying, be sure and lubricate the surface with a QD, and then run the clay bar over the surface. If you use the right amount of QD, there will be no clay sticking to your paint's surface (you don't want the clay to stick to the paint). Then you wipe of the QD with the MF. Because I didn't know what affect Megs QD would have, I went ahead and washed my car a second time before polishing and waxing. That may have been a bit of overkill, but I didn't want to risk it (being my first time and all).

I don't know if it was the clay, or just that my car is well kept, but I didn't see near the contaminates in the clay that I was expecting (hardly any at all). Nonetheless, I put my hand in a sandwich bag, and the surface felt smooth. Hope this helps...

All - If what I mentioned is incorrect (or if there is a better way), please chime in and let me know.

The only thing I'd mention is, I usually don't bother with drying after washing if I'm going straight to clay. Just spritz the panel, clay, then dry.

Jimmie
05-30-2008, 10:12 AM

:iagree::whs: but I don't wash after claying if I'm going to polish.

Another tip is to move the clay in straight lines in the direction the wind blows over your car.

I like the way that the Megs clay lube bottle spritzes so I save the bottles and mix my own lube in them.

dublifecrisis
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
go to youtube and search for some claying videos. I've seen Meguire's etc...and it's good stuff.

I spray the panel and the clay and use very little pressure. Just glide the clay back and forth in each section until it's really smooth, then wipe dry. KNEAD the clay back into a ball, fold it a couple times and flatten it back out after each section. if you drop it, throw it in the trash

onexvi3tboi
05-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Okay, can you tell me if these basic step right then.

Are these step correct can someone tell me.
1. Wash car with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo
2. Rinse off soap and DON'T DRY.
3. Okay so I'm going to get the Megu? or the Clay Magic. Spray the QD(Quick Detail?) Should I use the QD that's in the Pinnacle Kit? and just buy a clay bar? After claying a spot I use a MF and wipe off the clay/QD?
4. Apply Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Is this the polish your talking about? How do I apply this on?
5. I don't have any sealant, but if I have to apply sealant and wait 12 hrs w/o using my car. I won't be able to do that because I don't wash at home. I cant just sit at the car wash for 12 hrs to let the sealant sit.
6. So I'll wax with Pinnacle Souverän™ Wax(Can I apply the wax by hand or do i have to use a PC)

dublifecrisis
05-30-2008, 02:14 PM
3. yup. you can use any QD as a clay lube so u can buy clay magic and use the lube it comes with or really, you can just use soapy water from a bucket...seriously.
4. not familiar with any pinnacle products through my personal use.
5. you don't have to wait 12 hours but if you get a sealnt, you can apply it, and maybe hold off on the wax until a day or 2 later--->rewash the car and THEN apply wax. you don't necessarily have to do a sealant and immediately get the wax on there. and yes you can do the wax by hand. a little goes a long way and since that stuff aint cheap, don't waste it. (when u wax, most of it gets wiped away)

makdaddy626
05-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Okay, can you tell me if these basic step right then.

Are these step correct can someone tell me.
1. Wash car with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo
2. Rinse off soap and DON'T DRY.
3. Okay so I'm going to get the Megu? or the Clay Magic. Spray the QD(Quick Detail?) Should I use the QD that's in the Pinnacle Kit? and just buy a clay bar? After claying a spot I use a MF and wipe off the clay/QD?
4. Apply Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Is this the polish your talking about? How do I apply this on?
5. I don't have any sealant, but if I have to apply sealant and wait 12 hrs w/o using my car. I won't be able to do that because I don't wash at home. I cant just sit at the car wash for 12 hrs to let the sealant sit.
6. So I'll wax with Pinnacle Souverän™ Wax(Can I apply the wax by hand or do i have to use a PC)

1. Correct
2. Correct (although, as mentioned) some will wash with a mitt and then before rinsing "wash" with clay using the soapy water as the lube, then rinse and dry.
3. Both Meg's and Clay magic kit come with a bottle of QD/lube. I wouldn't use the Pinnacle QD for claying, it's to expensive for that - save it.
4. Apply with a mf or foam applicator, wipe off with MF.
5. As offered, you can drive your car home from the wash (or even to the store) most prefer to let the car sit as much as possible to avoid gather bugs and tar, etc. before it cures. The main thing is dont let it get wet and don't try to wax it for 8 - 12 hours.
6. yes, I always apply Souveran by hand.

onexvi3tboi
05-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Nice, thx for all the answer makdaddy. A couple quick question...

I can clay the car after I soap it all up with the Pinnacle Shampoo. Without the Meg QD?

If I don't sealant it this time. Next time when I plan to wax the car again, can I apply the sealant then? I didn't purchase any this time. Which Sealant do you guys prefer?

Thx for all the feedback

blacknblu
05-31-2008, 11:13 PM
one - Good luck tomorrow! I just got done on my car, and it took a total of 12 hours, and I didn't do the inside (alright, 11 hours, I took a 1 hour lunch break). I just used Wolfgang 3.0 Paint Sealant, and the time it took to apply, and remove was inside of 45 minutes. I love the way it looks! Tomorrow, I'm going to apply a coat of wax after the sealant has had time to cure just to see what that'll do to the depth of color. I'll be posting pictures later tomorrow. You be sure and take some before and after pics too.

94LT1
05-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Nice, thx for all the answer makdaddy. A couple quick question...

I can clay the car after I soap it all up with the Pinnacle Shampoo. Without the Meg QD?

If I don't sealant it this time. Next time when I plan to wax the car again, can I apply the sealant then? I didn't purchase any this time. Which Sealant do you guys prefer?

Thx for all the feedback
yes just make sure after u wash u use ur pinnacle paint cleansing lotion then u can apply ur sealant. The lotion will help remove water spots and some contaminants and help prep the paint before ur LSP(Last Step Product).Preping the paint is just as important as which wax/sealant u use.so ne time u wax or use sealant always use a paint cleaner like pinnacle cleaning lotion.

onexvi3tboi
06-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Woot, I did my first car detail, let me know the truth how it looks. I wash the car, clay it, rinse off and dry, polish the car, and then wax. Vacuum and did the interior after. I clean the wheel right in the beginning and clean the rim at the end. :D

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8148/img0982wf3.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3968/img0989tw6.jpg

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/2069/img0988zz8.jpg

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4253/img0980nn4.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2571/img0991kz9.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9513/img0987gt9.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7285/img0985er9.jpg

These picture below are with my iphone so a little blurry.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8857/img0013ju9.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3619/img0011ao5.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/4179/img0012fb7.jpg

blacknblu
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
One - It looks great!

vsupra123
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks good!

Good thing about some pics is that you really cant tell in detail what is there....In my sig you cant see swirls. :D