PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna, what pads w/rotary

Z06-Goose
05-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a few details coming up. There will be at least 4 Mustangs for a full-detail. There's an annual Mustang Show in Steamboat Springs, Colorado in 3 weeks

I've been doing most of my detaings with PO85RD3.02 Orange Pad via PC7424

In order to save time, I may use the Makita 9227C and Menzerna, but I have questions on the pads selection

I know it depends on how deep the scratches are, yadayada but, all I have to work with is 3M 6064 Swirl Remover, 1Z Intensiv Paste, and Menzerna. I also have Ultrafina with its 3M blue pad, and PO85RD for final polish
These guys are car guys, so I really don't expect any major surprises on the cars finish, since I've already done one of them last year

I have good results with the 3M 6064 and a black foam pad, but I'd like to try the Menzerna with the rotary, I'm thinking the 3M black foam pad should work, right?

Z06-Goose
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Nervermind...
I did some search and came up with the answers to my questions :cheers:

Lasthope05
05-29-2008, 11:02 PM
So what is the answer? Im curious about that.

Z06-Goose
05-29-2008, 11:26 PM
So what is the answer? Im curious about that.I found a couple of videos using a white foam pad. I don't own a white foam pad, but I would try the black pad on a test run tomorrow
If I can work the white pad hologram free, then I will buy one, otherwise I'll stick with the black 3M foam pad
The white pad seems to be more agressive than the black pad, and I've seen holograms left after, even from experienced users...

TOGWT
05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
a)PO 85 RD 3.01 Super Intensive Polish *Finishing Polish for black or dark coloured paint surfaces - 1200 RPM -White primary (softer less dense foam (70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action ) LC CCS foam pad followed by a secondary Blue finishing (very soft 100 PPI) LC CCS foam pad - 1000 RPM

b) For most paint correction use *PO 106 FA / 106 FF a Lake County (LC) White or Orange and PO 85 D3.01 polish with a (LC) Blue foam pad at 1000 RPM should be all you need.

c) For paint renovation use PO S34A Power Gloss (LC Purple wool pad 1500 – 1800 RPM).
It has a short work time slow cut and tends to ‘dust’

(PO S 34A) Compound Polish 22984 will remove 1000 grit, cut 5.0 - gloss 1.5, this compound has a short working time and a slow rate of cut 1500 – 1800 RPM - LC Purple Foamed Wool, Yellow (A hard / dense foam composition (40 PPI) abrasive cutting action) or Orange (mid range, high densityfoam (60 PPI) medium abrasive cutting action) CCS foam pads. It has a short work time slow cut and tends to ‘dust’

Always be aware of the implications (paint removal) of using highly abrasive compounds as they can remove a significant amount of paint.

dennish
05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
I found a couple of videos using a white foam pad. I don't own a white foam pad, but I would try the black pad on a test run tomorrow
If I can work the white pad hologram free, then I will buy one, otherwise I'll stick with the black 3M foam pad
The white pad seems to be more agressive than the black pad, and I've seen holograms left after, even from experienced users...

Hey Goose I use 85rd and the black LC pad all the time, spread it at 800 kick up to 1000 and then jewel it about 800 without only the weight of the rotary. If you need a little more bite the 106 will do it and a black LC pad also. Since the cars I do are taken care of and mostly dealing with light scatches from QDing I really never have to use anything else. That is a great combo!