PDA

View Full Version : OPT Coating-Beading & Blowdry (video)

Chris Thomas
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Marking the one month application of the coating on my hood I thought I'd shoot a beading and blowdrying video. The video was shot using pressurized and non pressurized water and dried with my shopvac electric blower. No towel drying was required!

Enjoy:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Nissan%20Altima%20CT/th_26c20e53.jpg (http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Nissan%20Altima%20CT/?action=view&current=26c20e53.pbr)

nitro78
05-29-2008, 09:21 PM
That is some incredible beading!

budman3
05-29-2008, 09:39 PM
That is some incredible beading!

Agreed!!! I don't think videos can lie, that sheeting was simply amazing. Dr. G is definitely heading in the right direction with this product.

dublifecrisis
05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Is this the Optimum X stuff that isn't out yet?

Chris Thomas
05-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Is this the Optimum X stuff that isn't out yet?

Yes, this is Optimum X, I know the name, but they aren't done with the legalities yet. They have revealed that it is a coating and not a sealant or wax, so that's why the title.

nitro78
05-29-2008, 11:30 PM
As soon as it comes out I am grabbing me some:righton:

dublifecrisis
05-30-2008, 08:17 AM
As soon as it comes out I am grabbing me some:righton:

better borrow from your 401k...LOL sorry that was tacky.

Matt S.
05-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, this is Optimum X, I know the name, but they aren't done with the legalities yet. They have revealed that it is a coating and not a sealant or wax, so that's why the title.

What do you mean by a "coating" and not a sealant or wax? Please elaborate Im the MAN

nitro78
05-30-2008, 10:13 AM
I am wondering the same thing? coating?

Chris Thomas
05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
It is permanent once applied and has to be removed by compounding. I'll elaborate later gotta run.

Chris Thomas
05-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Rather than retype the info, here's what Antony said in my previous thread where I applied it to a Red MB SL500:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/13647-optimum-x-meets-red-500sl.html

I'll try and clear up some misinformation.

It's a coating and not a sealant.

It's permanent or maybe better would be semi-permanent.

It can't be removed with alcohol or dish soap nor prepsol. It can though be removed by means of abrasive polish.

It can be topped with waxes, sealants and I have also used a glaze on it.

It needs at least a few hours for crosslinking before topping it with anything.

Price is not yet set but it won't come in anything larger than a 2 ounces. 2 ounces will give the user at least 4 to 6 applications. The cost *might* be around $90.00 for those 2 ounces. It sounds very pricey but again it's not a product for everyone so if the price is too high there are a great number of products out there that should fill anyones needs.

For the professional detailer he or she can charge an extra $200 or $300 for the application of this coating on top of what you have already charged for paint correction. We have done cars for $1,200.00. People so far are very pleased with it and so far nothing negative about it.....we have had a few cars where we had some over application which may cause some hazing or what looks like streaks. We then polished those areas to even it out and re-applied the product.

This happens much less now as we are more familiar now with application.

Washing is much easier with the coating BUT it's the drying that causes a big smile to appear on most peoples faces. If done correctly one can literally blow dry the entire car and leave nothing to be wiped off.

So is this product going to cure world hunger and stop Britney from flashing everyone?? NO (although someone or something needs to stop Britney)!! Is it for everyone? NO. But it will fit in nicely with those people looking for a great base with long term durability.

Hope this helps....oh yeah, I have no idea when i's going to be released....lastly, if you can apply Ultima, CS or OS you can also apply Product X, it's that easy.

Anthony

purplenurple
06-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Can this be applied to polished aluminum? :D

Driven Auto Detail
06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I was luck enough to snag a sample of this product from Dr. G a while ago. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to play around with it much. From the video, it looks like very good stuff. Hopefully <crossing fingers>, if I have time this weekend I'll apply it to my wife's Mazda3.