PDA

View Full Version : Can I have too many products?

dublifecrisis
05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Looking to place a small order this week of <$100. I'm pretty much just a 'weekend warrior' but I've tackled half a dozen details for a few friends/customers. I've added and deleted a few products from my cart because I don't want to be impulsive with my shopping. This is where I need your help. Looking at my current inventory, what are some must have items or things I'm overlooking. Your advise can be 1 single product OR a few as long as they don't go over the budget. I had Black WOW in the cart but deleted it based on price. I was thinking to get some M105 but realize there is a learning curve. So what do you guys/gals suggest? Foam gun? more MF towels? add some more Optimum products (I love what I have now). I'm not sure I want to spend $100 just on a wax but would love to hear some suggestions.

Here is what I have today (hopefully it's legible):

Tools
Porter Cable 7424
3.5" and 5” Flexible Backing Plates
2 buckets (1 for wash & 1 for rinsing)
Nozzle w-adjustable spray and on/off switch
Microfiber mit (4X)
Grout Sponge pro-line (2X)
Terry sponge (2X)
Hi Power Leaf Blower
Eureka Hand Held Vacuum
Shop-vac

Pads/Applicators
Foam Wax hand applicators
Meguire's Microfiber hand applicators
Wolfgang 5.5” Orange light cutting Foam pads (2X)
Lake Country 4" Low Profile Orange Pads (3X)
Lake Country 6.5 and 5.5 White Polishing Foam Pads (5X)
Lake Country 6.5 and 5.5 Orange Light Cutting Foam Pads (5X)
Lake Country 6.5” Gray Soft Foam Pads (2X)
Lake Country 6.5” Red Ultra Soft Foam Pad
Mother’s Power Ball

Shampoo/Wash
ICE
Duragloss 901
Meguires Deep Crystal
Armor All Heavy Duty
Xzilon Wash/Wax Shampoo
Optimum No Rinse

Clay
Clay Magic Blue
Mother’s Clay

Polish
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Menzerna Final Polish
Duragloss 101
Meguire's #83 Cleaner/Polish
Meguire’s PlastX plastic Polish
Mother’s Metal Polish
Optimum Poli-Seal (AIO)

Sealant/Wax
Meguire’s Tech Wax NXT 2.0
Meguire’s Gold Class synthetic liquid
Meguire’s Deep Crystal Carnuba
Meguire's Quik Wax Spray
Meguire’s Mirror Glaze # 7
Meguire's Cleaner Wax
Mother’s Cleaner Carnuba
Mother’s Synthetic Wax
Optimum Opti-Seal
Optimum Car Wax (Spray)

Quik Detail Sprays
Meguire’s Quik Detailer
Meguire’s Ultimate Quik Detailer
Mother’s Showtime
ONR Quick Detailer

Interior Products
303 Aerospace Protectant
Meguire’s Quik Interior Detail
Meguire’s Vinyl/Rubber Dressing
Zymol Leather Conditioner
Duragloss Odor Eliminator Spray
Xzilon Mink Oil for Leather and Vinyl
Xzilon Fabric and Carpet Spot cleaner
OXY Upholstry foam

Wheels/Tires
P21S Wheel Gel
Meguire’s Ultimate Tire Gel
Black Magic tire gel
Meguire’s Aluminum Wheel Cleaner
Wesley’s Bleche White
Eagle One Wheel&Tire Cleaner
Foam Tire dressing applicators
#0000 Steel Wool
Mothers Tire Brush
Mothers Wheel Brush

Glass
Stoner's Invisi-glass
Rain-X

Misc Sprays
Simple Green Concentrated APC 1:5 w-Distilled Water
Woolite 1:8 w-Distilled Water
Isopropyl Alcohol 1:1 w-Distilled Water
Distilled Water Spray
Purple Power FS

Microfiber etc
Cobra HD Guzzler WW
Cobra Jr Guzzler WW
Viking Plush Detailing Towels (6X)
Viking Polishing cloths (6X)
Cobra soft Polishing MF (2X)
Vroom Large Drying Towel
Vroom Gray (removing polish/wax) (8X)
Vroom Orange (interior, door jams, windows, wheels, engine)(6X)
100&#37; Terry Cotton diaper rags (10X)
The Absorber
Large Chamois

Surfer
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
That's like 1/16 of Scotts collection so I'd say...nope, you need more :D

ScottB
05-29-2008, 04:22 PM
I would highly suggest the new Optimum Qd'er. Black Wow is nice but can streak if not cured properly and wiped with damp towel to set the color in properly. Add in the new silver/grey fluffy microfiber towel. Some new Four Star UPP ....

MadOzodi
05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Simple answer? No. :D

pt91
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
with the pc i would stick with the menzerna or try to get a sample of m105. i would get the black wow. you get a lot of use from the little bottle.
what do you dress the tires with?
maybe get dg105 as a good sealant, some DG AW, and i like dg 253 on tires. add a nice carnuaba paste like pink wax, 50/50, souveran, etc and you are good to go.
after that i would look at a flex or rotary if you want to go more paint correction faster.
my wife thinks you can have too many products but i disagree.

sal329
05-29-2008, 05:22 PM
1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick, Meg APC, Meg Gold Class trim detailer or DG #271, some brushes for the interior, boars hair brush, microfibers and restock what you are low on

dublifecrisis
05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone so far. this is the kind of input I'm looking for. With about $100, I'm torn between what to get and part of it which path to take. Go for some polish? I'm down to about 1/3 of my Intenisve Polish/Final Polish combo. I got a full bottle of M83 so do I add a finishing polish and try that combo? Do I try the new wolfgang combo? As for sealant, I think I'm fine now with my OPS, OOS etc. but maybe a sealant with more shine/wetness...who knows.

I'd def. love to hear a few more suggestions. I know this type of thread is constant and everyone wants their own personal advisory board, so I appreciate the tips. I'll let you know what I go with.

dublifecrisis
05-29-2008, 09:56 PM
I would highly suggest the new Optimum Qd'er. Black Wow is nice but can streak if not cured properly and wiped with damp towel to set the color in properly. Add in the new silver/grey fluffy microfiber towel. Some new Four Star UPP ....

and if you're referring to the Instant Detailer/Gloss Enhancer, it's already in my cart...LOL I've recently fell in love with ONR and I use it as a QD so this stuff shoudl compliment that new infatuation.

Largebore
05-29-2008, 10:24 PM
oh man you really are deficient.... get onto the ein zett site and stock up on a ton of really cool specialty products and the gummi stick is impossible to live without.. The crap you stuff in your air conditioning is awesome and the glass wax is wonderful and the only thing that i found that works. i am going to try the glanz wax.. their stuff is amazingly cool.

dublifecrisis
05-30-2008, 07:59 AM
yeah I forgot about 1Z. I've heard good things.

pt91
05-30-2008, 02:51 PM
the 1z gummi works but i find that it smears onto the paint areas of the door openings (which the weather stripping closes onto) no matter how i apply/buff it. for areas like a trunk this isn't a big deal but it shows a lot on my daily driver.

supercharged
05-30-2008, 03:48 PM
That's it??? :D
No, you can't have too many products...Too many will be considered when you spend over $1 million on car care products...:cheers:

dublifecrisis
06-01-2008, 08:36 PM
well, here is what I ended up getting. I went over a little but free shipping + the fathers day discount...I figure I deserve it!!

Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951
Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate #901
Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer 32 oz.
Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer
Cobra Supreme Buff Microfiber Towel 3 Pack
Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) #105
CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound

ricka
06-02-2008, 10:22 AM
I "think" most of the posting are tongue in cheek regarding not having enough but I'd never bet against the folks in here who have to have to latest and greatest. I've used just about everything with the goal of trying to limit future purchases to my absolute favorites. Looked at my detail table one day and thought MY DEAR GOD, I'M A DETAIL JUNKIE!

So, as I use up product (or let the disappointing ones rot away) I've really tried to resist my ever-present curiosity to try more unless a sample is provided. My percentage of choosing wisely is luckily in the positive thanks to forums like this but I also keep some of the rotting ones around to remind me to scale back and use the time-tested ones.

Honestly, most products make the paint look great and its tough to really tell a difference. They all bead nicely and I could care less with durability as my ride is a garage queen and I like applying LSP's way before they run out of gas.

So, I buy those that are easy to use, can be diluted (like ONR and OID) and make economic sense. I've leaned towards sealants like UPGP (WOWA) and away from carnaubas as they attract dust and don't necessarily enhance silver metallic like sealants.

That said, maybe its different for the pros as they need products to handle different paints and customer desires...

Just my 2 cents.

dublifecrisis
06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
yeah that's good info. Being a newb I guess I still have that constant yearning to try new things. I TRY not to be too impulsive as I find myslef 'Removing' items from my cart, but yes, my goal is to find what works, ease of use, economic etc and just replenish my stock as needed.

Of course NEW products that promise this and that are at least worth a consideration : )