PDA

View Full Version : Polymers – Fluff vs. Substance

blacknblu
05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Ok, this may be a fairly “freshman” question (don’t you hate disclaimers before the question is even asked?), but how exactly do polymers affect the quality of a product? I’ve been reading product descriptions like “German Super Polymers”, “crystalline polymers”, “cutting edge polymers”, “fortified polymer technology” (you get the point).

Some of the products that tout these ‘polymers’ are quite heavy on the wallet, so before taking the plunge, I wanted to truly understand what the product is offering. My layman understanding (simplified) is that a polymer is elastic (not brittle, hard or rigid). A quick lookup in Merriam-Webster defines a polymer as having many parts (poly = many, meros = parts). My initial impression is that this is a meaningless word when used in its current context. I mean, don’t all car care products use polymers? One could even say “look at my new piece of rubber, it has polymers”.

Long story short, since I’m new to this game, I don’t want to be “sucked up” in a products marketing ploy where I’m only buying big words and not getting the most bang for my buck. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as what may be considered “fluff” vs. “substance”? I don’t necessarily want to address specific products, just the terms used in the industry.

Feed back please

TOGWT
05-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Your question needs to be a lot more specific before I could provide an answer

Polymer: [: a chemical compound with many repeating structural unit, or monomers]
From the Greek: πολυ, polu, many; and μέρος, meros; part.There are currently approximately 30,000 different types of polymers. The molecular structure of all polymers are based on a chain of carbon atoms, chemically it is a molecule formed by the chemical union of five or more identical combining units called monomers. A non-organic based wax formulated from polymers used to seal paint with a thin hard barrier.

They are very durable and provide a very bright, but flat silvery shine. This type of product is a compromise as it does provide durability but lacks the properties of a Carnauba wax lacking both colour and depth, and because of a polymer's inherent Covalent (molecular) structure it cannot mimic the properties of a Carnauba wax.

blacknblu
05-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Your question needs to be a lot more specific before I could provide an answer
I'll try to be a bit more specific. When I read a product's description, there are certain words that jump out at me as being suspect. One of these words being "polymers". The word sounds good, but it really isn't 'describing' the product for me as a layperson. Is this word used primarily as a "marketing" term, or as someone with your experience, do you seek out products that list this as an ingredient?

A non-organic based wax formulated from polymers used to seal paint with a thin hard barrier.
This statement doesn't make much sense based on my understanding that a polymer is not brittle, hard or rigid. I could understand this if the shell were elastic. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect about the characteristics of polymers?

They are very durable and provide a very bright, but flat silvery shine. This type of product is a compromise as it does provide durability but lacks the properties of a Carnauba wax lacking both colour and depth, and because of a polymer's inherent Covalent (molecular) structure it cannot mimic the properties of a Carnauba wax.
This makes perfect sense. That would explain a bit more why they are used in sealants. This also leads me to believe that the majority (if not all) sealants use polymers. Thanks for taking the time to respond. :cheers:

ScottB
05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
as offered polymer technology is a marketing catch-all , just remember there are many. Some deal with reflection, others durability, some gloss, theres so many different variables to how the work in the whole makeup of a product. Polymers are quite common in sealants and also used in waxes. Though not a scientist, I am sure polishes and other products too could use polymer technology.

budman3
05-29-2008, 04:31 PM
It's hard to keep up with all of the wording used by manufacturers, and some are used synonymously when they really aren't supposed to be (depending on who you talk to). That being said, if you are afraid of wasting your money due to marketing, read up on the forums. If you read a lot of good stuff about a certain product from several people, it probably is. That being said, sticking to AG products, you simply can't go wrong, especially with the Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Optimum, Poorboy's, Collinite or DP line of waxes and sealants.

Rsurfer
05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
The newest hype is Nano Technology. Menzerna has it and it works, so the point is trial and error.

blacknblu
05-30-2008, 08:50 AM
as offered polymer technology is a marketing catch-all , just remember there are many. Some deal with reflection, others durability, some gloss, theres so many different variables to how the work in the whole makeup of a product. Polymers are quite common in sealants and also used in waxes. Though not a scientist, I am sure polishes and other products too could use polymer technology.
killrwheels - Thanks. This certainly does help simplify things. I read TOGWT's 'Polymer sealant (Chem 101)' thread, and it really helped me understand quite a bit more.

TOGWT - Like I mentioned above, I read your 'Polymer sealant (Chem 101)' thread, and I'm a better person for having done so. Thank you for taking the time to post this information.

It's hard to keep up with all of the wording used by manufacturers, and some are used synonymously when they really aren't supposed to be (depending on who you talk to). That being said, if you are afraid of wasting your money due to marketing, read up on the forums.
budman3 - You hit the nail on the head about the forum. I couldn't think of a better place to get detailing information (that's why I'm here). I've searched around different forums, and decided to join this one based on the skill/knowledge level of it's members. Now, when a coworker asks how I got my car looking so nice, I point them to Autogeek. If a newbie like me can get complimented on a detail, then anyone can.

The newest hype is Nano Technology. Menzerna has it and it works, so the point is trial and error.
Rsurfer - I hadn't thought about 'Nano Technology', but now that you mention it, that's just about as confusing to me as polymers. For me, trial and error is easier at $10 for a product. It gets a bit more difficult after I pass that threshold. I took your advice, and bought the Menz 106ff. It arrived yesterday, and I hope to use it this weekend. I thought about leaving work early today so I could get a head start, then again, I guess work should come first...

All - Thanks again. Being new to this, the terminology being used can be a bit overwhelming. As I learn, it'll be easier to pick the products I need for a particular job. I appreciate all your help.