PDA

View Full Version : Advice on A Newer Car

Malibu Pretty 7
05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
My question to the forum is this: I'm getting ready to purchase a new car. I'm looking at the cadillac, The Lexus, The B.M.W. and the Infiniti. I was wondering which car is a better or easier car to detail? I know different Car companies use different Paints. Which Companys paint is easier to maintain and which Colors are most Eye- Popping? I'm considering either 07's or 08's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone that's had any experiences with the mentioned car brands( Good Or Bad ). As you may have noticed I didn't put specific Model #'s next to each car. That's because I haven't decide on which exact models I prefer, like with Infiniti. I like either the M45X, or the G35. It depends on a bunch of factors. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated! I also would be interested to hear suggestions on the best products to use to keep the car properly groomed.

builthatch
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
My question to the forum is this: I'm getting ready to purchase a new car. I'm looking at the cadillac, The Lexus, The B.M.W. and the Infiniti. I was wondering which car is a better or easier car to detail? I know different Car companies use different Paints. Which Companys paint is easier to maintain and which Colors are most Eye- Popping? I'm considering either 07's or 08's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone that's had any experiences with the mentioned car brands( Good Or Bad ). As you may have noticed I didn't put specific Model #'s next to each car. That's because I haven't decide on which exact models I prefer, like with Infiniti. I like either the M751, M745X, or the G35. It depends on a bunch of factors. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated! I also would be interested to hear suggestions on the best products to use to keep the car properly groomed.

this is probably a popular question. as i always mention on here, i'm by no means an expert, but if i had to rate, it'd say BMW is number one on your list (but with plenty of "orange peel" appearance), Lexus second, Cadillac third (again, orange peel prevelent) and Infiniti a distant 4th. I'd be curious to see what some pro detailers on the forum have to say, using their day to day experience as a basis. The problem is, without practical up-to-date experience with these cars, like what a pro would have, it's pretty hard to conclusively figure a list because, if they are painted here, the EPA is always making changes, and also, the bean counters are always reeling and trying to cut corners. Luckily, these are premium brands you list so the chances of them cutting corners like they do on their basic brands would maybe be less.

One thing i've often wondered...if a car is painted elsewhere, such as Germany or Japan, wouldn't it possibly result in a better quality independent of paint system used simply because the chemical restrictions are so stringent here now? I ask this because my Mazdaspeed3 is painted in Japan, and man...whatever system it is, it's pretty dang good. The clear is pretty hard, and texture appearance of the base is very smooth. less to do with the system, i know. and, it's thin, yes, but that's more a bean counter issue than anything.

ScottB
05-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I never had issues detailing my Cadillacs. My CTS had the optional tint coat and new SRX cleans up rather easily. Orange peel is prevalent will all mass produced cars. GM does seem to use a thicker clearcoat versus some like Nissan as I drove the same highways daily and my Maxima (Infinitis owner) chipped up quickly.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_007.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Autogeek_014.jpg

Malibu Pretty 7
05-28-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm really leaning towards the Cadilac CTS with the BMW 325 my second choice. I also recently purchased a 1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL 4.5. I'm thinking of having it painted. Good Idea?

94LT1
05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
If ur looking into the CTS stay with the new 08 CTS.iv been working in the cadillac service department for over a year. The 07- go through tires and brakes. Also theres a recall out there for the differential seal and every CTS out there needs it because there having issues of them leaking and the diff going out.if u live in a area that has snow make sure u get a CTS with AWD. They come in rear drive standard.As far as colors go they have a few nice colors 2 pick from.My favorite is black cherry.it looks very dark purple from a distance but when u get close u see both blue and purple metallic flake in the paint.tied in second IMO is sunset blue and blue chip.so far not many issues at all with the new 08 CTS.nothing commonly seen either.just my $0.02

supercharged
05-29-2008, 04:15 AM
If you have the proper tools to detail a car, all details will be pretty easy...And if you are purchasing a new car, I'm sure you can spare a few hundred bucks on these tools if you don't have them yet. As far as cars, I always go for practical. Check out Kelly Blue Book website. Lots of usefull information there. As my dad always said (back when he bought be a Geo Metro to drive to high school), always cosider imprortant factors when making a purchase. First one would be dependability. Search through kbb website (kbb.com), and check out cost of ownership. How much will this car cost you in five years. Dependability, reliability, resale value (that's why I never buy a Jaguar, it's like throwing money away, people don't want it when it comes to sell it)... maintaince/service is another improtant factor, and how much will it cost. Fuel consumption, some cars require premium only with Top Tier gas stations recommended. See how much of fuel it consumes, if it will be you daily driver, for instance M45x doesn't have pretty numbers - 14/20...
I'm getting 18/26 on my RL, and still think it consumes too much. Cadillac, for instance doesn't require premium, I'd pump regular CHEVRON ONLY in it for maximum fuel efficiency. I never fill up at Arco AM-PM...it's junk...
For instance if you are getting a BMW, it comes with 4 year/50k miles maintance included...But after it's gone, do you know what it will cost to have an oil change??? $150+...brake service is from $1600...And it adds up...
If I was you, I'd add Acura to your list, just to how you like it. Best off all - test drive them all. Also, check cars safety...Crash test from all side, I'd get one that gets 5 stars only...Things like VSA (VDIM, ESP, or what ever others call it) is a MUST. It might save you from an accident...

hope this helps...

And let us know what you will get.