PDA

View Full Version : attracting flies with liquid souveran?

builthatch
05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
for some odd reason, whenever i renew the liquid souveran application on my car (this stuff doesn't last long but looks great for the time it's on ; ), for a few days flies will come and hang out on the roof pillar edges and the tops of my fenders. it's a silver metallic mazdaspeed3.

i use minimal product, apply by hand with a foam applicator, and buff/remove very well with a really HQ plush MF towel.

for about 10 years before this car, i had a silver metallic honda civic. i never used liquid souveran on it, but i can't recall flies coming to it in any instance.

### is going on? it's a very strange phenomenon.

Al-53
05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
A lot of products attract flies...lol....I can be out all day and no flies..do something to the truck or car and they swarm...it may be due to the smell..do not know the answer..

I read a post a few years ago about some one who did a polish and wax to his car...a few hours later it was covered in ants...lol...

so the riddle is out...what causes the insects to be attracted to detailing products...

BTW..NXT was a big attractor also...and also SOV spray wax...and Natty's...they came in droves to land on fresh application....

Al

blacknblu
05-28-2008, 10:58 AM
I have a problem with my kids wanting to touch the car, and smear stuff on it after I’ve finished an arduous detail. I don’t think their drawn to it for the same reason as flies.

Surfer
05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Happens with all the nice smelling products, I remember having to take a quick wipe at the vehicle (like waving the towel in the air) to blow the flies/nats off while waxing

builthatch
05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I have a problem with my kids wanting to touch the car, and smear stuff on it after I’ve finished an arduous detail. I don’t think their drawn to it for the same reason as flies.

kids love to touch shiny things- windows, chrome, lights...if it dazzles, kids will be attracted ; )

ScottB
05-28-2008, 04:40 PM
its that sweet caramel like scent ...

Largebore
05-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Souveran also attracks the neighbors... :) they all want to be my new best friend and get a free wax job.

blacknblu
05-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the chemistry of the product. Since we are now moving to warmer weather, I wonder if your wonderfully detailed, deep glossed silver paint is fooling them into thinking it's water. Although that theory doesn't really explain the attraction from the ants AL-53 encountered. Just a thought...