PDA

View Full Version : New, need some help with the detail process.

san~man
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi all,
I've always loved taking care of cars, but now that I have the "right" products to do so, I have a general idea of how to use them but need some further guidance.

This is what I have (or is coming in on order) so far:

DAPC
Pinnacle clay/lubricant
XMT 1
XMT 3
XMT CFG
AIO
SG
Natty's blue

Car is a black Mustang. Paint is overall in good shape with some slight spiderwebbing and light scratches.

Now, I understand the washing/claying process.

I tried the PC on the car the other week with a fine polishing glaze, then with some rejuvenator. It got most of the swirls/scratches out, but I'm not happy with the overall look.

I've read many good reviews on the XMT line, so I purchased some. Here's where I need help.

1. Should I start with the #3 on an orange light pad (edge pads), and if so at what speed? Everything I read says to start at 3-4 then go up to a max of 5.5. Correct? Suggestions?

2. Should I then go to the #1 on a blue pad? Yes/no? Suggestions? Speed setting?

3. Should I use the FG next? Can I still use it prior to the AIO? Do I even need it? Suggestions? If yes, pad? Speed?

4. I'll do the AIO, SG next, then a top coat of NB.

So, please help and steer this noob in the right direction....

Thanks for you help all.

supercharged
07-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Start with XMT #3 on orange pad with a speed 5. Then XMT # on WHITE polishing pad. If you are going to use AIO, then skip Carnauba finishing glaze, and go straight to AIO. I would do AIO by hand, since it is wipe on wipe off. Then SG. Let SG cure for 12 hours, then apply another coat. Doing so you will make proteciton very durable for the next 3 months. Then coat it with Natty's blue.

Hope this helps.

san~man
07-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Yes, very much. Thanks.

Any suggestions as to making the overall prcess better? i.e. substituting one product for another?

I guess I can use the FG on the wife's car. What pad/speed for the FG?

Totoland Mach
07-25-2006, 07:02 AM
san~man: I always use the philosophy of "start with the least aggressive combo first". I typically work one area like a fender or door panel and start with a light combo pad + product.

The Roush I did had light spider webbing from washing and I ended up using the XMT 1 + AIO + Wolfgang Sealant.

Check your work often.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BlackRoush_CruiseIn.jpg

Have fun!

Totoland Mach

Jonboy
07-25-2006, 08:00 AM
san~man: I always use the philosophy of "start with the least aggressive combo first". I typically work one area like a fender or door panel and start with a light combo pad + product.

:iagree: Don't be over aggressive unless you have to be

BILL
07-25-2006, 10:42 AM

The Roush I did had light spider webbing from washing and I ended up using the XMT 1 + AIO + Wolfgang Sealant.

Check your work often.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BlackRoush_CruiseIn.jpg

Have fun!

Totoland Mach

:iagree: GO SLOW BUT SURE........

san~man
07-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Well my AG order was kicked back due to a processing error, so I got to take advantage of the 15% off sale and cancel the order for the CFG....woot

ScottB
07-26-2006, 06:17 AM
The CFG in the XMT line is a great product, one with alot of positive attention, but it should be used prior to a wax not a paint sealant. Might wanna consider it at some point and then dress with Nattys, MaxWax, Souveran, or Sig Series for some proven combos.

Driven Auto Detail
07-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Big fan of Max Wax.

I have both Natty's Blue & Max Wax. Natty's is a great wax, but Max Wax is by far the best wax I've ever used (have never used Souveran though). It goes on like butter (not exaggerating) and comes off incredibly easy. Leaves behind an incredible finish.

san~man
07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
The CFG in the XMT line is a great product, one with alot of positive attention, but it should be used prior to a wax not a paint sealant. Might wanna consider it at some point and then dress with Nattys, MaxWax, Souveran, or Sig Series for some proven combos.

But, considering I'm currently using AIO, I wouldn't put it over AIO prior to NB or any other carnuba right (since CFG has cleaners, won't it take off the AIO)?

ScottB
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
But, considering I'm currently using AIO, I wouldn't put it over AIO prior to NB or any other carnuba right (since CFG has cleaners, won't it take off the AIO)?

you are correct in that these two products most likely should not be used together, and likely double the work.

san~man
07-27-2006, 01:28 AM
OK, now for opinions....

I got the AIO free, and got a great deal on the SG on AG for 21 bux (for the 33 oz :P), so I'm open to suggestions for other products to use that are as easy to apply and remove while also producing the same results.

I redid my last order, so here's what's coming in:

XMT 1
XMT 3
Pin CM
Pin clay w/lubricant

I already have the AIO, SG, and NB, so give me some other options? Last week when I put on the SG, I unfortunately applied it MUCH too heavy and had a helluva workout removing it, so I'm open to other options. I read killr raving about Menz's FP, but I've only found 066 online (new colorful package, right?)

So, what else protects as well as AIO/SG and is as easy to use?

emaxxman
07-27-2006, 06:40 AM
AIO/SG are probably the most durable of the sealants. Other options for sealants are Poorboys EX or EX-P. I'm strongly leaning towards the Poorboy's because it can be applied in full sun.

DP's sealant is a spray and wipe formula. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it protects. If you already have the Klasse, stick with it.