PDA

View Full Version : 4" pad compatibility issues

Pages : [1] 2

builthatch
05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I emailed Meghan about this, but i might as well post it here too...

Recently I ordered the 4” orange pads and the accompanying backing plate for my 7424. The backing plate suggested with the pads (3.5”) is too big for the pads and cuts into the pad; this happens with even light pressure. I’m using compound then polish in some smaller areas so I have to put some pressure on them. I never had any problems with my regular backing plate and 5.5” pads, so I don’t know what’s going on. I trimmed the backing plate back quite a bit, hacking it up essentially, but it still bites into the pads even after some very short usage time. it’s almost worn through, and if that hits my finish…I’m in trouble.

What is the solution with this combination? I noticed the pads are being discontinued or are on clearance…is this why? It seems to me the pad is too small or the backing plate for my 7424 is a hair too big. The velcro on the pad is 3", so the recommended backing plate should be 3", not 3.5"!!!!

Rsurfer
05-26-2008, 06:03 PM
I emailed Meghan about this, but i might as well post it here too...

Recently I ordered the 4” orange pads and the accompanying backing plate for my 7424. The backing plate suggested with the pads (3.5”) is too big for the pads and cuts into the pad; this happens with even light pressure. I’m using compound then polish in some smaller areas so I have to put some pressure on them. I never had any problems with my regular backing plate and 5.5” pads, so I don’t know what’s going on. I trimmed the backing plate back quite a bit, hacking it up essentially, but it still bites into the pads even after some very short usage time. it’s almost worn through, and if that hits my finish…I’m in trouble.

What is the solution with this combination? I noticed the pads are being discontinued or are on clearance…is this why? It seems to me the pad is too small or the backing plate for my 7424 is a hair too big. The velcro on the pad is 3", so the recommended backing plate should be 3", not 3.5"!!!!So are you saying the velcro is only 3" and does not extend to the edge of the pad? If so, I guess the bp if putting pressure on the edge of the foam, is this correct? I was just about to order some 4" pads with a 3.5" bp.

builthatch
05-26-2008, 07:25 PM
So are you saying the velcro is only 3" and does not extend to the edge of the pad? If so, I guess the bp if putting pressure on the edge of the foam, is this correct? I was just about to order some 4" pads with a 3.5" bp.

that is exactly what is happening. The velcro is 3" wide, and the fact that the velcro on the 3.5" backing plate hangs over the pad's velcro makes for quick destruction of the pad- that bp side of the velcro is very abrasive and cuts right through the pad. hacking off a little more than 1/4" from the plate all the way around seems to have allowed it to work for now, but i have a dead pad after very minimal use (maybe 30 minutes) and a hacked up BP.

budman3
05-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I have used this combo several times without issue. You don't need a lot of pressure with 4" pads on the PC, especially the low profile pads. Also, because the pad is smaller, it'll get saturated with product faster, which results in changing the pad more frequently than a larger pad. I can see where and how the BP can 'dig' into the pad but when I used them I haven't seen any side effects or premature failures. Do you have any pics of the pad? I'd be interested to see how the BP was able to tear through the pad... I can't picture how it can tear it up because BP and pad don't move, only the pressure of the machine will 'dig' and dent the pad but since they are not rotating it won't cut through the pad. And FWIW, the new 4" CCS pads have the velcro backing to the edge of the pad, not raised like the low profile pads.

Rsurfer
05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
I have used this combo several times without issue. You don't need a lot of pressure with 4" pads on the PC, especially the low profile pads. Also, because the pad is smaller, it'll get saturated with product faster, which results in changing the pad more frequently than a larger pad. I can see where and how the BP can 'dig' into the pad but when I used them I haven't seen any side effects or premature failures. Do you have any pics of the pad? I'd be interested to see how the BP was able to tear through the pad... I can't picture how it can tear it up because BP and pad don't move, only the pressure of the machine will 'dig' and dent the pad but since they are not rotating it won't cut through the pad. And FWIW, the new 4" CCS pads have the velcro backing to the edge of the pad, not raised like the low profile pads.So he must have the low profile 4" pads? Are all ccs 4" pads truly 4"? Don't want to order 4" pads and get the wrong pads.

budman3
05-26-2008, 09:28 PM
The low pro pads are 4" but the backing is only 3", you can see them here in this picture, the backing is about 1/4" raised and 3" in diameter.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_2003_102399

All of the new 4" CCS pads (both the low pro and 1.25") have the backing on the entire pad, a full 4".

builthatch
05-26-2008, 11:23 PM
^ this is good info, thanks. i wish i had known before i ordered the ones i did!

I am unsure why they recommend that plate with those pads, but considering how you've had success with the combo, i guess it's a case where they are not meant anything but pretty light work.

as far as use; i am not using immense pressure or anything, but i am using some because i am working on a dark blue metallic '07 honda Si with SEVERE water spot damage. i mean, so severe, that i almost decided to pass on the job in favor of having a body shop finish guy hit it with a high speed...

These new Honda's have incredibly weak/soft clear, and any bit of neglect will yield some impressive damage.

I am taking alot of time with it, using Optimum's compound and working very slowly, but all while checking temperature and my work because i know i'm taking some aggressive tactics for a DA. I'm not attempting to level totally, but i'm trying to get close enough where it's not so obvious. considering how much new car mfr's are into making the clear thin enough to BARELY get the job done.

so, what i'm saying here is the spots are in thin areas, such as the area between the sunroof sides and the rain gutters, so i need to use small pads, but the damage is severe, which calls for a severe duty pad.

sounds like i need to use the CCS pads, but i wish i had known before i hacked up my existing plate! ugh...oh well, i think it'll still work with the pads you mentioned.

budman3
05-27-2008, 08:45 AM
^ this is good info, thanks. i wish i had known before i ordered the ones i did!

I am unsure why they recommend that plate with those pads, but considering how you've had success with the combo, i guess it's a case where they are not meant anything but pretty light work.

as far as use; i am not using immense pressure or anything, but i am using some because i am working on a dark blue metallic '07 honda Si with SEVERE water spot damage. i mean, so severe, that i almost decided to pass on the job in favor of having a body shop finish guy hit it with a high speed...

These new Honda's have incredibly weak/soft clear, and any bit of neglect will yield some impressive damage.

I am taking alot of time with it, using Optimum's compound and working very slowly, but all while checking temperature and my work because i know i'm taking some aggressive tactics for a DA. I'm not attempting to level totally, but i'm trying to get close enough where it's not so obvious. considering how much new car mfr's are into making the clear thin enough to BARELY get the job done.

so, what i'm saying here is the spots are in thin areas, such as the area between the sunroof sides and the rain gutters, so i need to use small pads, but the damage is severe, which calls for a severe duty pad.

sounds like i need to use the CCS pads, but i wish i had known before i hacked up my existing plate! ugh...oh well, i think it'll still work with the pads you mentioned.

I'd be interested to find out the reasoning behind the backing on the low profile pads though. On the AG site it says you can use a 3.5" BP or a 2 3/4" BP hooked up to a drill, so I wonder if these were supposed to be used with the drill instead of a polisher :confused:. I'll keep a close eye when using these pads in the future.

builthatch
05-28-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd be interested to find out the reasoning behind the backing on the low profile pads though. On the AG site it says you can use a 3.5" BP or a 2 3/4" BP hooked up to a drill, so I wonder if these were supposed to be used with the drill instead of a polisher :confused:. I'll keep a close eye when using these pads in the future.

interestingly enough, meghan did respond to me with a phone call, and was VERY helpful. she went above and beyond to help me out here. i think it's great when a supplier does this because it further reinforces the loyalty between the customer.

i didn't expect to be handled in that manner, so it was a surprise.

Thanks Meghan!

Meghan
05-28-2008, 04:29 PM
interestingly enough, meghan did respond to me with a phone call, and was VERY helpful. she went above and beyond to help me out here. i think it's great when a supplier does this because it further reinforces the loyalty between the customer.

i didn't expect to be handled in that manner, so it was a surprise.

Thanks Meghan!

Its so funny when I call you guys I never know you are who you are on here, unless your name is the same as your forum name. So its always nice to talk to you guys on the phone and then I get to see who you are on here. Anyways... was a pleasure speaking with you today, I will have you a package in the mail tomorrow. Let me know if you need anything else.

builthatch
06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
All of the new 4" CCS pads (both the low pro and 1.25") have the backing on the entire pad, a full 4".

so i received my replacement pads (4" CCS orange high boys) and these are indeed the ticket with the 3.5" backing plate!

thanks meghan.

alowe
06-24-2008, 11:52 AM
So which pads did you get, the 4 X 1.25? Also, which backing plate did you order, and will the plate work with the UDM? Sorry, I am still learning.

pricha00
06-24-2008, 12:09 PM
I would still take it easy on those 4 inch pads. I have the UDM along with the CCS pads and a 3.5 inch BP. I collapsed the centre of my first pad by applying too much pressure for too long. I actually had the pad so warm that some of the velcro glue from the pad transferred onto the BP. Big difference in the heat generated vs. a 6.5 inch pad.

Pat.

alowe
06-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, so maybe the thicker pads at a stepped down speed may be the answer?

builthatch
06-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Wow, so maybe the thicker pads at a stepped down speed may be the answer?

just keep it moving and make sure there is enough product there. with the pocketed ccs pads, that doesn't seem to be as much of a problem, but pat is correct in that the little pads heat up faster than the bigger ones, due to physics.

to answer the original question, yes, they sent me the tall ccs pads. why, i am not sure, because the pads i ordered that weren't compatible, the original pads in question, were low profile, but regardless, the tall ones will do just fine for me. the 3.5" plate will work with the UDM no problem as it's in most ways physically the same as the PC unit(s).

i used this combo the other day for some scratch spots, first with optimum compound then with optimum polish, and they did a wonderful job of eliminating the defects. i actually used speed 6 on my pc with moderate pressure to test them out (didn't spend too much time in one place, that's for sure) and it worked out fine.