PDA

View Full Version : Help with friends '87 BMW

waddisme
07-24-2006, 03:35 PM
My friend was given an '87 BMW325? by his uncle. The car is in really good shape except for the paint. I have done the detailing on my '02 Trans Am but am not comfortable PC and polishing on this car. It does need it. How do I tell if it is base coat/clear coat? Does that matter with the PC. I have tons of different compounds, polishes, pads, and waxes, just not sure if I can use it on a car this old. Thanks in advance for the input.

BILL
07-24-2006, 04:19 PM
What color.......metallic??

waddisme
07-25-2006, 07:43 AM
I think so. It looks like a metallic grey. It doesn't appear to be basecoat\clear coat, but I am not sure. If it is not, do you use something else besides the PC, or just different kinds of compounds or pads?

BILL
07-25-2006, 08:22 AM
I think so. It looks like a metallic grey. It doesn't appear to be basecoat\clear coat, but I am not sure. If it is not, do you use something else besides the PC, or just different kinds of compounds or pads?

Im pretty sure its base and clearcoated, if it were me?? i'd P.C. it with the least agressive polish and pad.......and see how it comes out, do a little part of the car where you can see the results of your polish and pad choice...

Since that car has not been detailed in a while, id bet you have good paint left to polish;)

waddisme
07-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Sounds like a good place to start. I have some Meg Step 1 paint cleaner. From what I can tell, it is not too abrasive. Maybe start with an orange pad with it. thanks for the input.