PDA

View Full Version : Strolling the Car Care Aisles Locally

Pages : [1] 2

ScottB
05-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I have more products than I can use, certainly more than my two cars and friends could ever muster. Yet, I find myself constantly strolling the aisle at Walmart, Target and other stores. I actually visit repair shops like Pepboys, not for parts but for car care offerings. Even the clearance car care products at Big Lots are worth a quick visit. I tickle the MF towels, sniff the waxes, read the labels, and occasionally pickup a product or two knowing more than likely they will fail against the boutique offerings.

So today as wifey looked for a Sun Tea container, I was across the store lost in a sea of new, or likely repackaged products, meant to pull a dollar or two from my pocket. New wheel cleaners that offer "safe" or "citrus" in title. "Nano" technology on waxes, a couple quick detailers offering to scoop of birdie doo-doo easily, and some anti-scuff offerings too. Of course I got to wheel protectants and could go no farther. I have told myself, it will be used for wheelwells and undercarriage. But did I need the most expensive and newest offering for wheelwells specifically ???

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rodi_1997_92957608

I am truly addicted to this stuff and need help. Anyone else have the bug ??? I believe sublimal advertising must be used in car care, and proof in these labels offering extreme, long lasting, glossy cans blistering in hot red paint, and more. Gotta run, I think I got a couple minutes to visit Bennett Autoparts before dark.

oldmodman
05-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I do the same exact thing.

And I have the cabinet of hardly used, second tier quality car care products to show for it.

But I am also known as "that guy down the street" that is always willing to "loan" someone a can or bottle of car wax on a Sunday afternoon.

So I get rid of my "crap" and build neighborhood goodwill at the same time:D

Mike T
05-24-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm the same way. Most of the time I can force myself to resist the urge. Sometimes....Well....Hey, honey look what I just found.

dengood1
05-24-2008, 05:55 PM
oh yeah, right there with you Scott. My wife and kids always know where to find me:o

Jimmie
05-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Yep, same here. And it's all worth it when you hit that occasional car care shopping home run.

Dust2Glory
05-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Wal-mart, Big Lots and the Local O'Riellys and Autozone and a paint shop are my kryptonite. I get AA tire foam, and my new favorites are Stoners Trim shine and More shine... More Shine is great on my aggressive MT's and after drying over night... very minimal sling

supercharged
05-25-2008, 01:10 AM
I got the same bug, people tell me I need to see a doctor...but after hearing my story, doctor will want me to detail his car...:D:righton:Im the MAN:buffing:

ScottB
05-25-2008, 08:50 AM
"Collecting" addiction is often cured well by giving away the collection. I will be happy to help you. I will PM you my mailing address in a moment.

I hate to admit it, but annually I have toss alot of stuff as just werent worth the money or didnt make the grade. My wife now ventures into the garage and just takes what she needs for glass, sinks, tile, counters and the such. Maybe this year I will list for those that would like to try .....

Showroom Shine
05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I was afraid to tell you all that I have been doing this for years. Any store I go in ,the first place I look for is the car detailing area. I went on a 7 day cruise,and every island we stopped at I was looking for carwashes, detail suppy stores, and Micro Fibers. I do know that I guy could really sell the ONR on the islands. Bucket washing is the norm on all the islands. Detailing is International, I'm a witness!

bryansbestwax
05-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Same here, went into Sams club to look at microfibers, they only carry the junk though

nrengle
05-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I do it everytime I go to Wal-Mart, Mejiers, Target, etc. Just to see if they got anything new in...

sas71
05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rodi_1997_92957608

^
their packaging is eye catching thats for sure. prb the best ive seen, it jumps out and screams BUY ME!!!!

dublifecrisis
05-27-2008, 12:39 PM
i do the same but not so much to BUY stuff. It has just been my personal goal to SEE and KNOW what every store has in case I need it.

Need Duragloss-I can go to Carquest
Need gallon sizes of Meg's products-Advanced Auto superstore
Need Collinite-Can go to Harbor Freight
Need best OTC MF towels-Can go to Kmart

I stop at places that I would normally never go to thinking "hmmm, this place might have some detailing supplies"

ScottB
05-27-2008, 04:51 PM
i do the same but not so much to BUY stuff. It has just been my personal goal to SEE and KNOW what every store has in case I need it.

Need Duragloss-I can go to Carquest
Need gallon sizes of Meg's products-Advanced Auto superstore
Need Collinite-Can go to Harbor Freight
Need best OTC MF towels-Can go to Kmart
I stop at places that I would normally never go to thinking "hmmm, this place might have some detailing supplies"

Or just order direct from Autogeek (smiles)

accellora
05-28-2008, 08:00 AM
I got the same bug, people tell me I need to see a doctor...but after hearing my story, doctor will want me to detail his car...:D:righton:Im the MAN:buffing:
:whs: