PDA

View Full Version : when to wax new paint?

acrispy1
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I just got my 82 firebird that I've owned since new repainted, when and what should I use on the new paint? Thanks

supercharged
05-22-2008, 05:19 AM
I just got my 82 firebird that I've owned since new repainted, when and what should I use on the new paint? Thanks
Get some wax without any cleaners in it (DP, Pinnacle SSII, or Souveran) and you can wax in a few days after the paint has dryed...

acrispy1
05-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks....

Al-53
05-22-2008, 06:50 AM
I would check with your painter to see what the paint used is and what they reccomend for a drying/curing time before a wax or sealant should be used.....

some people say a wax can be used after a fresh paint with out interfereing with the outgasing of the paint during cure time...but I never seen any white paper saying so....paint companies like DuPont...Sikkens..3M...BASF ..all say to let the paint cure before waxing it....some have a time period of 30 days and some have 90 days....depends on the paint company and chemicals used as additives in the paint mix....

you can use a glaze weekly like Meg's #7 to keep it looking good till it cures...but its not a lasting product..so needs to be done weekly....

call your painter and see what he says about waxing...he may have used a cure accelerator and your wait time may be short...

AL

Jimmie
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Or this 3M Glaze. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a gentle moisturizer, especially for beautifying freshly painted surfaces! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html) , but I found it hard to remove. Glazes really don't provide any protection, but it just seems better to have something on the paint until it cures.

_M_
05-22-2008, 09:28 PM
+1 to the above, glaze for 90 days