PDA

View Full Version : Absolute JUNK...

Ohio Detailing
05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Ok, I have been frantically (and that's an understatement) trying to use up all of my old detailing products from last year before the Winter season set in here in blizzard country USA where I live... IN ORDER to have an excuse to put an entire new bulk purchase of supplies in our budget to get the wife to nod on, haha!!! :buffing:

So, in my efforts to use up all the shelf bought garbage... I ran into a problem...

I applied Meguiar's Scratch-X to my hood yesterday evening around dusk. The care had completely been washed (with a Sea Sponge, thanks Mike!) and dried... and the surface was not in the sun or hot; BUT... after applying the scratch-X, I began to try and buff it off, but it WOULD NOT come off.

I scrubbed, buffed, wiped, changed microfibers etc - and NOTHING helped. Now my paint is in awesome condition, I used a polish and carnauba just 3 weeks ago, so that shouldn't have matter... so my QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Moments before I applied the scratch X, I had Meguair's QD's the hood to remove dust to prepare the surface... would this application of a QD just before starting to do any type of paint cleanse, wax, or polish application have inteferred with the product removal?

2. CAN PRODUCTS EXPIRE? When I was squirting out the junk (which I will NEVER BUY AGAIN, Thank you AG!) it was clumping and squirting out with a bad consistency... can extreme cold or time since purchase make these products useless and harder to remove!?

THANKS! :)

Matt S.
05-21-2008, 02:46 PM
ScratchX is a great product when used properly. I will say that the conditions you used it in sound just fine, and QDing should not have affected anything.

Any extreme cold or heat WILL mess up most products out there. Otherwise, if the product was just sitting, it may have just needed to be shaken up really good as it will separate over time.

Mike T
05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Thats very strange. Are you sure its product left on the finish, and not maybe some marring from the ScratchX?

karburn
05-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Dang. I just bought a tube of the stuff. Now I'm afraid to use it. Maybe I'll save it for spot-treating.

Mike T
05-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Dang. I just bought a tube of the stuff. Now I'm afraid to use it. Maybe I'll save it for spot-treating.
Thats pretty much what its for.

Dwayne
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Here is a video showing Scratch X in use just to make sure that it was used properly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxeqntf0eQ]YouTube - Tutorial: How to use Meguiar's ScratchX[/video]

ScottB
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
again extreme temp changes are real culprits in items going bad or drying up.

supercharged
05-22-2008, 05:06 AM
I like using Scratch X claning up door jambs before waxing them. Not that I will buy more again, but just to use it up. You might sqeeze more scratch X on the problem spot, to soften it, making easier to remove.

Matt S.
05-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Good post Dwayne...as you guys can see in the video, when used properly, it is a very easy product to use. I've used it many times when in a bind, and it definitely has its place on my detailing shelf.

Ohio Detailing
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, a couple years ago it worked great -- so I think it was just expired as I mentioned above. It's fun falling back in love with my passion, since through moving to Arizona, getting engaged, planning the wedding, and then back in Ohio the horrible weather - my detailing was put on hold for a while, and it's great getting back into it here on AG! :)