PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and have a few questions

adrenalin
05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone,
I recently ordered/received the PC 7424 kit. I planned on using it with my existing compounds, sealants and waxes but I think perhaps I need to start from scratch. Currently I am using 3M Finishing compound and 3M Ultrafina SE to get rid of swirls, followed by 3M Glaze. I then start using multiple coats of Zaino Z5 then a few coats of Z-CS. Never really happy with the results, although a lot better than when I used Meguiar's NXT. I was thinking about going with the Pinnacle Souveran wax but what would be best to use before the wax, to get rid of any swirls? My car is a 2005 Ford Mustang GT and swirls have always been my problem due to bad microfiber cloths. I learned my lesson with those and bought a bunch of Cobra cloths this time. I just want to do this right since I put my car in local shows.

Here is a pic of my car.

Rsurfer
05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone,
I recently ordered/received the PC 7424 kit. I planned on using it with my existing compounds, sealants and waxes but I think perhaps I need to start from scratch. Currently I am using 3M Finishing compound and 3M Ultrafina SE to get rid of swirls, followed by 3M Glaze. I then start using multiple coats of Zaino Z5 then a few coats of Z-CS. Never really happy with the results, although a lot better than when I used Meguiar's NXT. I was thinking about going with the Pinnacle Souveran wax but what would be best to use before the wax, to get rid of any swirls? My car is a 2005 Ford Mustang GT and swirls have always been my problem due to bad microfiber cloths. I learned my lesson with those and bought a bunch of Cobra cloths this time. I just want to do this right since I put my car in local shows.

Here is a pic of my car.Does the 3M stuff not get rid of your swirls? If not, get Menz SIP or l06ff. Be sure to jewel the paint after polishing with l06 and a grey or blue ccs pad. I perfer to jewel with 87MC, but others have gotten good results with 106 or 85RD. Do a final wipe down with 50/50 alcohol. Glaze with DWG or seal with UPGP and LSP with Souveran. If you do the prep work right your stang will glow. BTW awsome looking Stang.

ScottB
05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
You might like Sig Series II by Pinnacle as a backup. The polishes you listed have a good following, so if satisfied then polish and wax. To keep wax popping, use the Souveran Spray Wax.

svtsupremecy
05-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Menzerna SIP and 106 have worked for me on my Vista Blue 07 GT. I noticed with my most recent detail that with a PC, 5.5inch flat orange cutting pads work VERY well compared to my 6.5 orange CCS cutting pads. I would switch to a 5.5 inch pad (if your using bigger pads) before i bought anymore polishes. If this doesnt work, buy Menzerna polishes, they are top notch and work for my mustang.

Also make sure your using speed 6 and breaking down the 3m polishes, maybe your just not used to the 3m polishes yet???

Pinnacle Souveran and Signature series would probably work great with your sonic blue paint. I went straight for souveran but i have Signature series 2 on my list of waxes to try.

adrenalin
05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Does the 3M stuff not get rid of your swirls?

Yes, it does get rid of the swirls but quite often I have to do 2 applications. I just wasn't sure if it would work well with the Pinnacle wax or if I should just follow a different procedure. I see that I should use a 50/50 water/IPA mix after using the 3M stuff so I might try that before applying the wax. I was going to place an order in the morning for the wax and whatever else I need.

Rsurfer
05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Yes, it does get rid of the swirls but quite often I have to do 2 applications. I just wasn't sure if it would work well with the Pinnacle wax or if I should just follow a different procedure. I see that I should use a 50/50 water/IPA mix after using the 3M stuff so I might try that before applying the wax. I was going to place an order in the morning for the wax and whatever else I need.Dont forget to jewel the final polish with a grey or blue ccs pad. This will give you that extra pop to your polishing.

adrenalin
05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Dont forget to jewel the final polish with a grey or blue ccs pad. This will give you that extra pop to your polishing.

I forgot to ask you exactly what you mean by "jewel the final polish". As in the 3M Ultrafina? That is the last polish I use before I glaze then wax (normally).
I don't have all the CSS pads but I do have yellow, orange, white, black, blue.

Rsurfer
05-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I forgot to ask you exactly what you mean by "jewel the final polish". As in the 3M Ultrafina? That is the last polish I use before I glaze then wax (normally).
I don't have all the CSS pads but I do have yellow, orange, white, black, blue.After polishing, just put 2 small dabs of polish on your blue pad and polish as you normally do. Any correction has already been done by your polishing. Use speed 6 and polish till translucent and wipe with a mf, stand back and admire your work. You are now ready to glaze and wax.