PDA

View Full Version : Sealant over Carnauba? Sometimes?

Waxmax
07-24-2006, 11:17 AM
The general rule has been NOT to apply sealants over carnaubas typically due to poor bonding/durability.

But now with all the quick sealant/wax sprays on the market, is this rule being bent alittle? Seems like many are applying sprays like OCW (carnauba/polymer combo), Aquawax (pure synthetic/no carnauba), FX-100 (wax/polymer mix) over carnaubas with good results. AW is the one that surprised me since it contains no wax, yet seems to enhance carnauba finishes and improve durability.

Curious what others think or have experienced?

scooterguitar
07-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Good point! I have no clue...

Waxmax
07-24-2006, 11:45 AM
I think the lines are blurring with the spray LSP toppers. I know Surfer has topped NB with AW and had good results. I just tried topping Souveran with AW and the next day the surface was slicker and had not lost any of the Souveran incredible pop/sizzle.....should be alittle more durable too? Nice to have easy to use options.

scooterguitar
07-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I mighe be wrong, but I do not think any of the spray sealants are as strong as their regular counterparts, this might play into it working. I know I wouldn't say use EXP, SG, or any sealer like that over a wax. It woudn't damage naything,b ut I imagien you would get some streaking at least? I wonder if the sealant even penetrates through the coat of wax, or just lays on top of it? Hmmm

Surfer
07-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I would say putting a real sealent over a nuba (like EX-P over Natty's Blue) wouldn't work out to well. I have quite a few spray waxes that are polymer/wax combos, and suprisingly AquaWax looks better then any of them with better durability. The weird part is it's just a synthetic, yet somehow bonds well to carnaubas and improves their looks (whereas other polyer/wax sprays will diminsh the deep/wet look of a nuba.

Hype or not, I'm really impressed by AquaWax, you can tell as well from the reviews on other forums. It even worked great for my trim, I finally had to do multiple coats of Trim Restorer from Poorboys and tried my other spray waxes to kinda seal it but didn't work to well. AW on ther other hand worked perfectly, and even with all the rain, my trim still looks freshly done and water beads right of thanks to AW sealing it in.

I'm going to strip down soon, once the rains let up. And I'll post pics of my truck. It'll be EX-P, Natty's Blue spit shined, topped with AW.

ScottB
07-24-2006, 05:29 PM
how would we truly know ?? A spray wax or sealant has a relatively short lifespan, usually between washings. Is it bonding, sitting on top, or truly enhancing the finish with better durability ??

Think about this .... if I put a coat of canuaba or sealant on my car, then one of these sprays, and then wash. What am I truly seeing after the wash ?? Everyone suspects the detailing spray, but that is likely gone. It is the LSP that was underneath. So, I use Qd'ers mostly for the gloss they invoke between washing.

Waxmax
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Good point, but I am really speaking of spray wax/sealants, not QDs. For AG products, I'm thinking OCW, and the WG and DP spray sealants. If they are applied over a carnauba do they add much durability or do they just become QD-like?

ScottB
07-25-2006, 06:09 PM
WG and DP sealants are actually lighter versions of the sealant itself and add appreciable durability. They are spray, wipe, and buff however. I find the OCW to be very sterile looking but the easiest to use. Simply a spray and wipe like Crystal Mist. I dont know that it truly adds durability that outlasts a car wash or two however ...