PDA

View Full Version : Meg's new teck...

Pages : [1] 2

Ohio Detailing
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
What is the difference with Meg's hydrophobic polymer etc technology they advertise - and the other QD's on the market? What is their claim and does it pan out or give an advantage in any way?

AjNavo61490
05-19-2008, 04:12 PM
UQD provides a layer of polymer technology that makes the water bead up and give it a nice shine

ScottB
05-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I think alot of the same technology is called different things in the name of marketing. (ie standing out)

What I will note is Megs was critisized on NXT and some other products for sheeting water versus beading, not that beading is an absolute indicator of protection, but complied with beading to make the end user happy.

SanAndreas
05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I find that their regular QD is pretty good comparable to Wolfgang and probably already has some sealant. I haven’t tried their Ultimate QD. It looks like a way to get a couple more $’s out of you. I guess it extends protection for people who use Meg’s wax once every 3 months or less. But why worry about protection if you already seal or wax often enough? I noticed they also make it in 22oz size vs. 16 and 32oz for QD so direct cost comparison is impossible.

I can’t believe these jerks trademarked ‘Hydrophobic Polymer Technology’. Give me a break.

Ohio Detailing
05-19-2008, 08:07 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!!

Wow - I guess marketing reigns king! Does everyone else agree that this 'technology' isn't truly a revolution at all?

supercharged
05-20-2008, 10:14 AM
it's a revolution compared to their first QD, which was a total junk...Optimum or DP QD mixes are much better and cheaper too...

SanAndreas
05-20-2008, 01:00 PM
it's a revolution compared to their first QD, which was a total junk...Optimum or DP QD mixes are much better and cheaper too...

I’m wondering why you say it’s junk. To me a lot of QD’s are pretty much the same.

101impala
05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Meguiars Ultimate QD offer a small amount of protection and actually does sheet water, The regular QD is motly for dust and fingerprint removal, not protection. The regular QD is also better used as a lubricant for claying while UQD is not.

Andy
101impala

nitro78
05-20-2008, 05:28 PM
I actually go back and forth between UQD and Crystal Mist. I think the UQD is a little more reflective.

Ohio Detailing
05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I just got a sample of Pinn Crystal Mist - can't wait to try it out! I'm really not looking for a lot or any of 'protection'... I was looking for the brightest/deepest gloss from a spray detailer - on a bright red paint job. Thoughts? Is there any detailer everyone can agree upon (or a majority, lol) that is just insane on dark colors consistently? AG's brands are amazing I'm sure, but it's hard for me to differentiate between their brands...

supercharged
05-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I’m wondering why you say it’s junk. To me a lot of QD’s are pretty much the same.
That's because you haven't been spoiled by high quality QD+. Try some Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Wolfgang Spritz, DP, ClearKote Quickshine, and you will understand what I'm talking about...Meguiar's quick detailer offers same durability as plain water...In fact it's scented water with a scoop of alcohol in it...and they charge so much for it...Believe me, Optimum No Rinse or DP 4-in-1 will make you a better QD, cheaper too...
New Meguiar's Ultimate QD is quite nice though...finally some improvement from them.

Ohio Detailing
05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Supercharged...

Because of your quote above with the Meg's QD, and my belief that this forum is very legit and educated - I am not going to purchase anymore from Meg's line (unless it's the Glaze professional line or maybe at some point their new QD you gave props to) but paying for packaging and overhead isn't my idea of quality... I had no idea it was just water and alcohol - BUT, it makes sense now that I think about it.

SanAndreas
05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I have Wolfgang Spritz right now. But I don’t think I’ve ever used it on anything but paint in good condition with a good coat of sealant already on it. Maybe there’s just not a noticeable difference if the paint is already pristine.

Spritz and Meg’s QD both leave the surface slicker. Maybe the thing to do is try half a hood with each after washing and see if either has much slickness after the next wash and any other differences. I’ll be the first to criticize Meguiar’s but there’s got to be more than water, alcohol and perfume in QD.

You are right about DP being cheaper.

101impala
05-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Just so everyone is on the same page here. Are you guys talking about Meguiars regular QD or are you talking about Meguiars Ultimate QD?

Andy
101impala

supercharged
05-22-2008, 05:18 AM
Meguiar's was the first to introduce quick detailer, and I think this is their original formula, obviously not the best. I found Final Inspection to offer easier application (better slickness), or Last touch detailer cut with water 1:1. I do like the sprayer though, it creater really fine mist...:cheers: