PDA

View Full Version : Foam Crucifiction...

Pages : [1] 2

Ohio Detailing
05-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to know the reasoning not to wash foam pads in a washing machine? I know it's not regular practice, but I just wanted to know the damaging properties if I wash them seperate with cold with microfiber detergent?

Thanks dudes :)

SanAndreas
05-17-2008, 12:57 PM
If washing with cold separately there shouldn’t be a prob with melting glue. The only potential prob I see is unbalancing the washer if it’s a top loader. Just don’t stick it in the dryer. If you don’t use a pad cleaner on it first I don’t know if the wash machine will get all the crap out.

Let us know how it comes out if you try it.

02CAMSS
05-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I use dp pad cleaner,hose and a bucker of water and it works great.
And please do not use kerosene!!:eek:

budman3
05-17-2008, 05:05 PM
The extended time soaked in water has led to premature velcro backing failure on some pads. The foam itself can handle a washing machine but some people have said the backing on pads falls off.

Mr Dream Machines
05-18-2008, 04:52 AM
LC foam pads can hack it for a long time whereas edge backing can not

Ohio Detailing
05-18-2008, 06:52 AM
HA - Kerosene!!

I guess I'll try using very mild warm water with special detergent washed seperately and see the outcome; until I can afford the special washer. Thanks guys :)

supercharged
05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Dude, don't be lazy, just wash them by hand. Get some DP pad rejuvenator, or Pinnacle XMT pad cleaner. VERY EASY.

Ohio Detailing
05-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Oh, I didn't know by hand would have been as effective. I actually have done that about 4 times with pads last month - so thanks for letting me know man. I just use a sink agitating the foam pads with my hands and rinsing, correct?

ScottB
05-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I dont know if MF cleaner would effectively release all dried polishes from a foam pad. I love the DP Pad Cleanser as citrus based and cleanes quite well in a bucket.

Ohio Detailing
05-18-2008, 09:56 AM
I dont know if MF cleaner would effectively release all dried polishes from a foam pad. I love the DP Pad Cleanser as citrus based and cleanes quite well in a bucket.

Oh I see - so should I use something like small amount of goo-gone, or an actual orange-soap like Dawn, or an orange cleaner/degreaser, or maybe Mean Green?

ScottB
05-18-2008, 10:11 AM
I have heard some using Dawn and Dawn Power Disolver. I find a scoop of DP in a bucket is all I need. Soak, rinse, and dry. I like dedicated cleaners when possible.

Ohio Detailing
05-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh, so simply soak and rinse -- I don't have to scrub and agitate with my hands or anything like that? That's awesome - this forum is a wealth of knowledge! Thanks.

Jimmie
05-18-2008, 11:02 AM
By hand w/ XMT Pad Cleaner and a brush here.

Mike T
05-18-2008, 05:11 PM
The XMT pad cleaner works very well. I've gotten pads 100% clean after they have sat for a couple of days, caked with product.

Al-53
05-18-2008, 07:02 PM
To get pads nice and clean..get some Dawn Power Dissolver....wet the pad first with water...spray the Dawn PD on it...rub it in..let sit a few minutes....then wash and rinse by hand....or can throw in machine....

this stuff is only product I know that gets Collinite out of pads...

pads come out super clean...

2.89 a bottle at wal wart....

AL