PDA

View Full Version : Emblem help

mtsl500
07-24-2006, 08:51 AM
The back side of a couple of the letters in my car's brand emblem are starting to rust a little (I think) because I see larger orange rail dust spots on my paint behind them. I've tried taking a fine brush back there, tried using small pieces of clay but have had almost no luck in getting those little pieces of rail dust out. Any tips or suggestions on what I can do to get that stuff off the cars paint????

I know it'd be easier if I took pics, but my digital cam got jacked and I've been lazy about getting another one, kinda want to buy a nice DSLR when I have some money set aside for it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Surfer
07-24-2006, 09:11 AM
You could try a cleaner like Klasse AIO, but I'm guessing their the chrome type letters. Not sure if you can really do anything if rust is showing. Ir do you mean it's rail dust that you can't seem to get rid of?

You can use a hair dryer to heat up the letters, then use something like a flossing string to carefully peel off the letters, giving you better access to clean. Then just get new taping on the back and stick them back on.

mtsl500
07-24-2006, 09:15 AM
You could try a cleaner like Klasse AIO, but I'm guessing their the chrome type letters. Not sure if you can really do anything if rust is showing. Ir do you mean it's rail dust that you can't seem to get rid of?

Well from what I can tell (and please keep in mind I'm a relative newbie to the obsession of detailing compared to most on this forum) it looks like it started as rust on the back of the emblem and has managed to get on the paint. The car is less than 8 months old so I have already called up my dealership about this, but I really don't want to take it in to them to "detail." The few microswirls I had on the car were caused by them.

ScottB
07-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Id pull off the badge with some dental floss, and I would use some clay to clean the paint. Polish as needed to make sure it blends (the paint) and call it a day.