PDA

View Full Version : Soap

Pages : [1] 2

former86camaro
07-24-2006, 08:10 AM
I love most DP products, but the soap seems to lack lubricity. Has the formula changed at all recently? Can someone recommend a very slick soap, even DP if it has been updated....

MikeyC
07-24-2006, 09:43 AM
The most slippery soap I have ever used is Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds, but it's a little expensive compared to some other soaps. I just got the new formula Optimum Car Wash and I'm planning to wash my car today. So, I can let you know how that is later in the day.

former86camaro
07-24-2006, 10:00 AM
anyone use the megs pro stuff.. the large size for 14 bucks. What a deal.

scooterguitar
07-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I vote for the PB as well. The new DP foam gun soap is awesome too. I used to use cheaper soap, but for a little $ more the PB sure makes a difference and keeps on bubbling.

supercharged
07-24-2006, 11:43 AM
anyone use the megs pro stuff.. the large size for 14 bucks. What a deal.
Remember the say - you get what you pay for. Unless it's for bulk detailing I wouldn't get Meg's Shampoo plus.
Poorboy's is the way to go, or Pinnacle...(Pinnacle uses coconut oil for lubrication which is the best for black cars).
If you are planning to get a good Meg's soap - #00 high tech wash or #62 shampoo and conditioner is the best Meguiar's offers.

GearHead_1
07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Remember the say - you get what you pay for. Unless it's for bulk detailing I wouldn't get Meg's Shampoo plus.
Poorboy's is the way to go, or Pinnacle...(Pinnacle uses coconut oil for lubrication which is the best for black cars).
If you are planning to get a good Meg's soap - #00 high tech wash or #62 shampoo and conditioner is the best Meguiar's offers.
I feel that #62 is a pretty good product but I would take Meguiars Shampoo Plus, HyperWash (not diluted as far as Megs claims) or Meguiars Gold Class Soap over #00 everytime. In fact I would take just about every soap Meguiars makes over #00. I really didn't feel it was a very special product. In this case I don't think it's a price related get what you pay for scenario. When it comes to OTC it's more of a keep your eyes open scenario. I stumble through the different stores (Target & Checker Auto) and from time to time pick up Megs Gold Class as low as $3.00/half gallon. I think that both Gold Class and Shampoo Plus work pretty well with a foam gun also.

PoorBoys product is a great soap, I've never tried Pinnacles. I'll have to get around to that.

supercharged
07-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Hyper wash smells like a cheap 69 cents after shave...Offers basically no lubricity.....I was very dissapointed with it. Good thing I only bought it in 12 oz sample.

Jonboy
07-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Pinnacles the best i've used so far very slippery, PB's next for me to try.

emaxxman
07-24-2006, 01:54 PM
I think that both Gold Class and Shampoo Plus work pretty well with a foam gun also.

I agree on Gold Class. I've tried most of the OTC brands and have yet to get something as thick, sudsy, and slick as Gold Class. I also use it in a foam gun. It generates lots of really good foam. On the middle setting of the foam gun, I get good clinging foam. I also get it for 1.25 gallons/$8 at Costco. You just cannot beat that price.

So far, I have been using it in the foam gun at 1 part soap to 1.5 parts water. Seems to work well, last a while in foam gun container, and generates a good amount of foam.

I recently foamed up the roof of my minivan during a wash. I then used the chenille wash mop. The mop just glided over the paint. It was so slick it almost didn't feel like I was touching the van.

I am sure that there are other soaps out there that perform better. I do plan on trying some. However, given my limited budget (and no matter how much we want to put into detailing, we're all constrained by a budget), the Meg's Gold Class is a great balance of cost and effectiveness.

GearHead_1
07-24-2006, 02:41 PM
So far, I have been using it in the foam gun at 1 part soap to 1.5 parts water.

On which setting (detent)?

ScottB
07-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Poorboys, Pinnacle, and Wolfgang make some very good soaps. So does Zaino and Einszett. Dont care much for OTC products, once you see what really goes into them, you realize very quickly why they are so darn cheap.

scooterguitar
07-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Like what? Rat feces?

MikeyC
07-24-2006, 11:06 PM
I tried the new formula of Optimum Car Wash today and all I have to say is . . . WOW!! This is a really great soap. It's 99% as slippery as Poorboy's, but costs less. Plus, it foams like crazy. The foam lasts forever in the bucket and also on your car. I was very impressed and the Optimum has definitely now replaced Poorboy's as my favorite car wash soap.

emaxxman
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
On which setting (detent)?

I've been experimenting with settings. Last night I used two different settings. I used the setting with one hole showing on the left to presoak the car. Then I used the middle setting to foam up each panel and the wash sponge as each washed each panel. The extra foam gave it more cling time.

ScottB
07-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Like what? Rat feces?

No .... but they use cheap surfacants, alkalines, and other items and are not concerned with PH balancing in most cases. Some are not very different from the cheap dollar store dishwashing liquid, just with a fancy label and some 1/2 naked lady.

Did you know that for years, wheel cleaners used hydrocloric acid or lye as their cleaning base ?? Think about that cheap and effective, well until it scars your high dollar wheels for life.