PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Right Combo of Products

blacknblu
05-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Hello All - I've recently made the transition to detailing with a machine (Flex XC3401) opposed to by hand, and the products I have acquired aren't necessarily producing the results I had expected. By hand, I would swear by Meguiar's 3 step Deep Crystal (Cleaner, Polish, Wax), but with the Flex, I'm noticing that defects aren't necessarily being corrected with the aforementioned products. Being a newbie, I haven't ruled out the id10t error, which if it is, I'm consistently making the same errors. I've recently concluded negotiations with my wife to purchase additional product, but being as new as I am, I could really use some insight.

Here are the steps I have recently followed:

1 - Wash Car
2 - Clay with Meguiar's Clay Kit
3 - Meguiar's Step 1 (Deep Crystal Cleaner) - CCS Orange Pad - Flex Speed 6
4 - Meguair's Step 2 (Deep Crystal Polish) -- CCS White Pad - Flex Speed 5
5 - Meguair's Step 3 (Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax) -- CCS Blue Pad - Flex Speed 3

The end result is nice (much better than by hand), but I believe the defects aren't being corrected (possibly only filled in?). After Step 1, I can clearly see swirl marks and scratches. After Step 2, there is a high gloss, but little (if not no) progress was made with the scratches. After step 3, I can't see any of the scratches or swirl marks, but just knowing they are there is eating away at my soul.

Having recently made what I would consider to be a hefty purchase on the Flex and some pads, and I've had a difficult time convincing my wife that we need additional products to make better use of the recent investment. I've gotten the 'go ahead' to spend a little more, so I want to make sure I get the most "bang" for my buck.

Based on the above, what products would you recommend for a "newbie" like me? Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Feed back please

FYI - If you haven't had the chance to use the Flex, please seek out the opportunity.

Rsurfer
05-16-2008, 03:30 PM
For light correction I would get Menz 106ff. Start with a white pad and finish off with a grey pad or blue pad. LSP is your choice. Be sure to wipe down with Prep Sol or Alcohol before LSP.

blacknblu
05-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Be sure to wipe down with Prep Sol or Alcohol before LSP.

I haven't done this before. What benefit does wiping down with Prep Sol or Alcohol provide? Thanks for your input. I'll be "pulling the trigger" this weekend.

Rsurfer
05-16-2008, 03:45 PM
I haven't done this before. What benefit does wiping down with Prep Sol or Alcohol provide? Thanks for your input. I'll be "pulling the trigger" this weekend.Menz has oils in their polishes and you want a clean surface to apply your sealant or wax.

blacknblu
05-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks Rsurfer - I put in an order for Menz 106ff and the Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0. After I have the opportunity to use it, I'll post back my results. I truly do appreciate your input.
:cheers: