PDA

View Full Version : Cover this with that? huh?

Rapidity
07-23-2006, 02:26 PM
How do you know if you can top xyz with abc?

I've seen people ask the question and people respond with yes or no and a short why. Like no that product has fillers or abrasives or no that causes streaking or yes but wait 24hrs. There seems to be a lot of different reasons why one can or can not cover one product with another.

Just wondering what you guys use to know if a product has the properties that make it not work as a topper.

Thanks...

ScottB
07-23-2006, 04:11 PM
paint sealants (sythetic waxes) = can be topped with carnuaba's
carnuabas = cannot be topped with sealants
sealants with cleaners = can be topped with pure sealants
sealants = cannot be topped with sealants w/ cleaners

abrasives = will mechanically or abrasively remove product
chemical cleaners = chemically strip or remove previous products
glazes = fillers meant hide flaws, read description some are abrasive polishes

Rapidity
07-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks... that is most helpful.

Do some carnuabas have cleaners are well?

wytstang
07-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes

scooterguitar
07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
I just ask Killr and do tons of reading various posts, both good and bad, then try to weed out any useful information, then ask Killr!

Rapidity
07-24-2006, 09:47 AM
How long do waxes stay good? Do they have a shelf life? And is the life affected if they stay outside in a shed vs inside on a shelf?

scooterguitar
07-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Umm, I think I read a long time ago they will last easily 2-3 years, but have heard indefinite. If you live in a cold winter climate, bring them inside before it starts to freeze and if it is extremely hot or humid, keep them in fridge.
I hope someone will know these answers for sure, like temp range to bring inside or fridge , and if shelf life is indefinite.

ScottB
07-24-2006, 05:31 PM
it would likely be determined greater by air/atmosphere being exposed to the wax. A sealed can, will in all likelyhood last for many years. Open the same can and allow to sit and breathe, and it will likely dryout quite quickly.