PDA

View Full Version : first detail questions! little nervous!

Co0lDood
07-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Hello all, I've been doing some research and talk about so much information on detailing! My head hurts. Well, here goes another noob into the detailing scene. Reason? Someone hit my rear bumper.. :\ A few questions before I start going at it.

I just recieved in the mail: PC 7424, Wash mitt, MF Towels, OP, Klazze AIO, RMG, Poorboys Nattys Blue.

Stuff I already have: Meg NXT Wash, Meg Clay, Meg NXT Wax, Mothers Black to Black, Stoners IG, Turtle Wax tire shine, Meg Hot Wheel Cleaner.

1.) Is my process correct?

wash - Meg NXT
clay - Meg
wash - Meg NXT
polish - Optimum Polish via PC w/white polishing pad
glaze - Klazze AIO via PC w/white polishing pad
glaze - Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze via PC w/black finishing pad
seal - n/a (thought i ordered klazze SG, but i ended up ordering klazze AIO)
wax - Poorboys Nattys Blue via MF applicator pads

2.) Speeds for PC? Wipe it on with lowest power and go up?
3.) Are all these products TRIM/PLASTIC/Glass safe? If i accidently get them on the trim, it won't eat anything away will it? I remember previously when I had wax on my old car's trim it ate it away.
4.) How many coats of each product? Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before putting each coat on?
5.) After detailing the car, lets say it rains a few days later, would I wash it again and just use the Meg NXT wax or another coat of NB?
6.) How thick/thin do i apply these products? All I know is you're suppose to put NB on thin, what about the others?
7.) I just realized that the scratch on the back bumper went all the way through. Is it okay to polish/glaze/wax it with such a deep scratch or should I try to touch it up first? Should i run it through with an orange pad with the OP?
8.) I read something about dampening the pad before apply the glaze. Do i damp it with a quick detailer? The Meg Clay came with some quick detailer, can I use that?

Any tips would be greaty appreciated!!

Sorry if these questions are repetative, I'm a bit nervous and just want to double check.

Cars an 06 RSX Nighthawk Black Pearl, did some research and people tell me these are the best products to get NBP to shine! Thanks in advance!! The car is kept outside if that helps any, i'm polishing/glazing/waxing in a friends garage! Thanks again!

Jonboy
07-23-2006, 08:18 AM
I think the AIO & RMG are about the same thing slightly abrasive so you could skip one of these processes, as for pads always start with the least abrasive and then work from there again speed start slow and increase as you go and keep it moving.

emaxxman
07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
1.) Is my process correct?

wash - Meg NXT
clay - Meg
wash - Meg NXT
polish - Optimum Polish via PC w/white polishing pad
glaze - Klazze AIO via PC w/white polishing pad
glaze - Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze via PC w/black finishing pad
seal - n/a (thought i ordered klazze SG, but i ended up ordering klazze AIO)
wax - Poorboys Nattys Blue via MF applicator pads

2.) Speeds for PC? Wipe it on with lowest power and go up?
3.) Are all these products TRIM/PLASTIC/Glass safe? If i accidently get them on the trim, it won't eat anything away will it? I remember previously when I had wax on my old car's trim it ate it away.
4.) How many coats of each product? Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before putting each coat on?
5.) After detailing the car, lets say it rains a few days later, would I wash it again and just use the Meg NXT wax or another coat of NB?
6.) How thick/thin do i apply these products? All I know is you're suppose to put NB on thin, what about the others?
7.) I just realized that the scratch on the back bumper went all the way through. Is it okay to polish/glaze/wax it with such a deep scratch or should I try to touch it up first? Should i run it through with an orange pad with the OP?
8.) I read something about dampening the pad before apply the glaze. Do i damp it with a quick detailer? The Meg Clay came with some quick detailer, can I use that?

Any tips would be greaty appreciated!!

Sorry if these questions are repetative, I'm a bit nervous and just want to double check.

Cars an 06 RSX Nighthawk Black Pearl, did some research and people tell me these are the best products to get NBP to shine! Thanks in advance!! The car is kept outside if that helps any, i'm polishing/glazing/waxing in a friends garage! Thanks again!

I don't think you need to wash after claying. Spritz with some water or clay lube and then wipe each section as you go. The polish will remove the dried clay lube as well. My first time doing all this, I washed after claying but that was because I made the mistake of doing this in full sun.

No need to use two polishes. If this is a new car with no swirls or scratches, just use the AIO (as it has very little abrasives and there is no justification to use an abrasive on a new car with no swirls.)

You can either spread the polish manually with the foam pad and the machine off or you can apply it at speed 3. This will eliminate splatter. The work the polish in at speed 5.

I think any abrasive polish is bad for trim. I would use blue painter's tape to cover trim...trust me on this. I didn't do it for all trim and have some dull spots.

All coats are thin. The reason is that you end up wiping most of it off anyway. A thin coat will make it easier to buff off. If you want to layer, let the first layer to cure and then apply a second layer.

I don't think you need to reapply any wax if it rains a few days later. I've used NXT spray wax but only have a week of really hard rains where it lost a lot of the lust. The spray wax helped to boost back the gloss. I'm thinking of using spray and wipe QD's instead though for their ease.

NXT spray wax is the same amount of work as applying a new layer liquid was...might as well go with another coat of wax at that point.

scooterguitar
07-23-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't think AIO is abrasive, it is a chemical cleaner. You can AIO, RMG, Nat Blue. The RMG will give a nice deep wetter look. AIO is alos safe on almost everything, like the trim and windows. I would not top after a few days with NXT, just add another layer of Nattys. All rpoducts you should try and get as thin of layers as you can, especially the AIO and Nattys. For a damp applicator, you can use a QD or I ususally use just water.
Wash
clay
This wash is optional, I would probably skip it./
polish w/optimum, you might want to step up to a tougher pad for swrls, an orange would be my go to. Follow up with a finishing pad
AIO by hand, not pc
RMG
NB
QD to clean up or sharpen the reflection

Jonboy
07-23-2006, 12:58 PM
[quote=scooterguitar]I don't think AIO is abrasive, it is a chemical cleaner. You can AIO, RMG, Nat Blue. The RMG will give a nice deep wetter look. AIO is alos safe on almost everything, like the trim and windows.

If you use RMG after AIO you will remove it as RMG is abrasive, IMO use one or the other

scooterguitar
07-23-2006, 01:06 PM
I actaully wouldn't use the AIO at all, except I htought they were looking for somehting that is safe and good on everything as they mentioned trim.
I don't think the RMG woudl remove all of the AIO and soem of AIO's protection might still be there. RMG is not that abrasive compared to say VM.
But yes, AIo might be a wasted step in the above, but it also serves the purpose of cleaning up any remnants of polish,e tc that might have been missed if they don't follow with a wash after the clay, but then I think I'm splitting hairs on that:>)
One or the other should work just fine. AIO will offer more protection and certainly cleaning, RMG will offer minimal cleaning, but yield greater looks.

Co0lDood
07-23-2006, 03:00 PM
If you use RMG after AIO you will remove it as RMG is abrasive, IMO use one or the other

RMG is abrasive? I had no idea, the bottle says "contains no abrasives".

Thanks for the help guys, this advice is def helping me out. I can't wait! It's been raining all week.

supercharged
07-23-2006, 03:03 PM
There is absolutely no need to rewash after claying......It's just a waste of time. Be sure you work in a shade, and wipe all clay lubricant off.

wytstang
07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
RMG is non abrasive VM is the one with slight abrasives in it.

scooterguitar
07-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Ah, yes Wystang is correct! I was thinking fillers! RMG has more fillers than it socunterpart VM, but VM is abrasive.
See don't listen to any of us, we'll only confuse you more!

Co0lDood
07-23-2006, 09:06 PM
thanks, you guys are very helpful, i appreciate it! I'll try to post some before/after pics

Jonboy
07-24-2006, 01:34 PM
The RMG has light chemical cleansers to enhance dulled paintwork so i'm assuming it would remove the AIO but i could be wrong