PDA

View Full Version : Tips on polishing I have been playing with my UDM and have been using a 5-in backing

Bunky
05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I have been playing with my UDM. If you lookk at every DA demo video, they are always using it on a large flat surface and working in square sections.

In reality, you have to be careful under side mirrors and on the rear plastic bumpers were there is a 90 degree transition. There are exterior details (creases or steps) in sheet metal that offer challenges for access.

How do most handle this? Switch to a larger pad and use the edge to get under these sections or use a more rounded pad and polish on the edge? I cannot polish on the edge with my LC CCS pads. Polish by hand - oh my?

Jimmie
05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
There are always a bunch of areas that I do by hand; under handles; license plate recess; under mirrors. I keep PB Pro Polish handy but any AIO will work.

RIDE3311
05-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I have been playing with my UDM. If you lookk at every DA demo video, they are always using it on a large flat surface and working in square sections.

In reality, you have to be careful under side mirrors and on the rear plastic bumpers were there is a 90 degree transition. There are exterior details (creases or steps) in sheet metal that offer challenges for access.

How do most handle this? Switch to a larger pad and use the edge to get under these sections or use a more rounded pad and polish on the edge? I cannot polish on the edge with my LC CCS pads. Polish by hand - oh my?

:goodpost: I have also wondered this same thing. I am about to buy a DA polisher as well and every video is only of flat surfaces. Can someone post some videos of polishing on or around painted bumpers or other areas besides flat surfaces? I will be watching this thread closely:D

Rsurfer
05-09-2008, 08:15 PM
:goodpost: I have also wondered this same thing. I am about to buy a DA polisher as well and every video is only of flat surfaces. Can someone post some videos of polishing on or around painted bumpers or other areas besides flat surfaces? I will be watching this thread closely:D
You don't need a video, just common sense. The same with taping.

Bunky
05-10-2008, 07:15 AM
I was looking for people to share their common sense.

RIDE3311
05-10-2008, 06:07 PM
I was looking for people to share their common sense.

Once again I agree! Common sense doesn't translate to anything for me because I am a beginner.

Rsurfer
05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Once again I agree! Common sense doesn't translate to anything for me because I am a beginner.
Would you jam your pad under the door handle if the backing plate was rubbing it? Would you try to buff around the small areas around your licence plates? Would you try to polish your windshield wiper arms with a buffer? Would you tape your headlights if it was flush against the fender when polishing? If you can't figure those things out before polishing your car then you should hire someone to do it for you.

RIDE3311
05-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Would you jam your pad under the door handle if the backing plate was rubbing it? Would you try to buff around the small areas around your licence plates? Would you try to polish your windshield wiper arms with a buffer? Would you tape your headlights if it was flush against the fender when polishing? If you can't figure those things out before polishing your car then you should hire someone to do it for you.

Alright I understand that. What about people saying you should stay away from edges of paint? Does that mean watch out for body lines that run down the car or is it just talking about actual edges such as where a fender and hood meet, door and fender, etc.? Thanks for the info so far!

Rsurfer
05-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Alright I understand that. What about people saying you should stay away from edges of paint? Does that mean watch out for body lines that run down the car or is it just talking about actual edges such as where a fender and hood meet, door and fender, etc.? Thanks for the info so far!
With a PC or UDM you should have no problems with the areas you mentioned. However, again use common sense and don't just leave the buffer in one spot without slowly moving it and always keep the pad as flat as possible.

dublifecrisis
05-11-2008, 01:51 PM
i tend to slack in these hard to buff areas. yes, I am a beginner. Usually these are the areas in the rear or around a spoiler, side mirror etc...Unless you come back with an AIO by hand or something, I just use the edges of the pad and do a couple quick passes. If you can afford to have a seperate tool, maybe the griot's garage 4" DA is an option. OR get some of the hand polishers that look to be about 4" and hit with an AIO, I don't know. You're right though, demos are always on the hood and occas. on a door so yeah

RIDE3311
05-11-2008, 10:30 PM
With a PC or UDM you should have no problems with the areas you mentioned. However, again use common sense and don't just leave the buffer in one spot without slowly moving it and always keep the pad as flat as possible.

Thanks for the info Rsurfer!

i tend to slack in these hard to buff areas. yes, I am a beginner. Usually these are the areas in the rear or around a spoiler, side mirror etc...Unless you come back with an AIO by hand or something, I just use the edges of the pad and do a couple quick passes. If you can afford to have a seperate tool, maybe the griot's garage 4" DA is an option. OR get some of the hand polishers that look to be about 4" and hit with an AIO, I don't know. You're right though, demos are always on the hood and occas. on a door so yeah

Yeah I will probably try just hand polishing the hard to buff areas.

vsupra123
05-13-2008, 02:53 AM
this is why i bought polishing pads. :D

i would like to see a vid of polishing these areas though