PDA

View Full Version : Removing tires are killing my rims

accellora
05-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a brand new 2008 Pathfinder with Alloy wheels that have a clear coat. I've removed the nuts to install a wheel lock, and also Nissan rotated my tires during the last service visit. I noticed today that each tire in the area around the nut is scratching the clear coat away and leaving dirt within the scratches that I just can't remove. I will take some pics if anyone needs to see, but is there anything I can do about this? Even when I first put the wheel locks on I realized that even I was scratching it a little but did it very slowly after I realized after the first tire. Its a shame to see a beautifully detailed car and then get close to the rims to see this.
Feed back please

ScottB
05-09-2008, 07:47 AM
my rim shop removes and replaces tires on my custom rims backwards. Essentially upside down so any work scars or damage is on the backside. For those chips, I would use a clearcoat pen or maybe some nail polish in a pinch to protect and cover as possible.

PTRon
05-09-2008, 08:00 AM
There must be some kind of protective sleeve for removing custom rims. Maybe on a socket? Have you tried a google search?

ScottB
05-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Impact Socket Set-Chrome Protective Plastic Sleeves & Shallow Broach (http://www.discounttoolimporters.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=1815)

accellora
05-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Cool Thanks

Surfer
05-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Checkout what Scott posted, or also see if you can find a place in your area that installs high end wheels on sports cars, exotics etc. For example there are some places here that the chain shops will refer clients to with high end cars to install wheels. They generally have the tools and are very careful.

LazerRed1
05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Try a Porsche dealer. Surprisingly, places that do big rig tires have a machine that works good.