PDA

View Full Version : What to do about flex3401 RASH? (how does AG help?)

Pages : [1] 2

m4gician
05-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey,

MY Flex, like so many others has the backing plate rash, what can I do to fix this problem? Do I deal with AG for a new BP and felt ring? Or do i have to contact flex tools directly?

Meghan
05-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Contact Dwayne at 1-800-869-3011 ext 212 tomorrow morning.

ZoranC
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Obviously AG's excellent customer service is already helping you with it :)

So, just to satisfy my curiosity and increase the knowledge, did "rash" develop because bolt was not tightened prior to use and Flex was used with much pressure / offset pressure?

ZoranC
05-04-2008, 10:02 PM
MY Flex, like so many others has the backing plate rash ...
By the way, I know of approximately (I am not counting them) only 6 cases of that "rash". Therefore it is gross misrepresentation to say "like so many others".

m4gician
05-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Obviously AG's excellent customer service is already helping you with it :)

So, just to satisfy my curiosity and increase the knowledge, did "rash" develop because bolt was not tightened prior to use and Flex was used with much pressure / offset pressure?

You're going to hate me, because I know you've been drawing out this conclusion but no, it wasn't because of the hex nut holding the BP to the flex.

It ran fine when I first started it using it (I tightened it before first use), retightenend after.

I was in the middle of a long polish job (probably 3/4s on a Lincoln Town Car with SIP + orange pad) when on one door panel, it started to smell of burning, and smoke a little.

To the point, it MAY have been due to angled pressure, but I also thing that should've been accounted for in designing the FELT or whatever protective gasket-like product is between the BP and what not.

At this point I'd love to be able to be using the Edge system, but I can't invest in the whole thing when all i have are Velcro pads.

But thanks, I will contact Dwayne tomorrow, and ZoranC, I know you've been the watchdog for this sort of thing, so if it wasn't for you, this might've happend a lot sooner, thanks for the headsup on tightening it, it got me through at least one major paid job! :D

MadOzodi
05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Zoran, you think too long of an extension cord or not a thick enough gauge extension cord would be an issue? That metal housing gets HOT!

IIRC, I know someone has super-glued the felt just to make sure it doesn't drop out.

ZoranC
05-04-2008, 10:39 PM
You're going to hate me, because I know you've been drawing out this conclusion but no, it wasn't because of the hex nut holding the BP to the flex.
No, I am not going to hate you :) I was not making any conclusions as making assumptions and jumping to conclusions is what I do not want to do :)

What I am interested in is whole truth and nothing but the truth, regardless of what it is, so I can draw correct conclusions regardless of what they might be.

I do not have direct nor indirect personal interest in Flex nor any of their business associates which assures there is not even a remote chance of bias and assures whatever I do in that regard is only for the best interest of community.

I actually encourage people to report. Hence I had to ask in order to have complete and quality data.

Only time I object on something in report is when part of report might me misleading. Like saying "many" when 6-ish reports total statistically does not constitute "many". It can mislead casual reader into thinking there is a widespread issue when there isn't one.

Again, I have nothing to loose if they end up believing that incorrectly. But if it is not fair and correct then it is not fair and correct. I guess I am too much of an engineer.

To the point, it MAY have been due to angled pressure, but I also thing that should've been accounted for in designing the FELT or whatever protective gasket-like product is between the BP and what not.
Maybe, and I can not speak in their name to be able to say any pro/con to that, or even venture to guess whethere there is a good reason and whether we are misunderstanding the tool.

... and ZoranC, I know you've been the watchdog for this sort of thing, so if it wasn't for you, this might've happend a lot sooner, thanks for the headsup on tightening it, it got me through at least one major paid job! :D
You are welcome. One more question, please: Have you put double washer under the bolt's head? When I did that it was very hard to get things to touch even with offset pressure. If you did not can you do me a favor please and use double-washer with next bp?

ZoranC
05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Zoran, you think too long of an extension cord or not a thick enough gauge extension cord would be an issue? That metal housing gets HOT!

IIRC, I know someone has super-glued the felt just to make sure it doesn't drop out.
You are touching on several subjects there:

1) Felt is not supposed to drop down. None of mine did. I do not know what is holding them in place. It could be snugness.

2) It is very possible that felt gets pulled out for different reason: Backing plate starts touching housing, friction starts melting plastic, melted plastic catches felt, you stop machine, now plate is bonded to felt, felt did not fall down but you pulled felt out when you pulled bp.

3) If housing is getting hot hot that still would not be hot enough to melt plastic from a distance. Bp is melting due to friction from touch. They shoud not touch. If pressure is causing them to touch you are using too much pressure, back off.

4) If housing is getting more hot than it should be it could be due to two reasons:

4a) You are using too thin cord. Back off, RTFM and get correct gauge cord for the tool.

4b) Any motor will start heating up extremely if you bear it down. That is it's signal to you to back off and use less pressure / even pressure.

ZoranC
05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Just a side comment (to make you think, not to "comment" on anyone):

How many of us would dare to pressure down under angle rotary at full speed? Probably not many.

Flex has power of the rotary. Don't use Flex the way you wouldn't use rotary.

m4gician
05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
When I say angled pressure, it was more of an accidental thing and to illustrate my point it's like going over a panel that's more organic than flat and the pad starts to jump and move around like crazy. While trying to get it under control that's when I applied the angled pressure.

I always tried to stay perpendicular, but anyways, you mentioned a double washer, my flex only has a single washer.

m4gician
05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey Meghan, thanks for your help, I just spoke with Dwyane.

In future, for anyone else who may have this issue, here's the number to call:

It's Powerhouse distributing, and they care of all the flex warranties.

1-888-809-4749,

Very friendly, and I'm glad AG deals with them. What ended up happening for me is that they're sending me a new BP and felt ring and the trick is to apply white oil (or some good lubricating oil) to that felt ring and have it saturated. That should provide enough lubrication to prevent heat build-up.

Meghan
05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey Meghan, thanks for your help, I just spoke with Dwyane.

In future, for anyone else who may have this issue, here's the number to call:

It's Powerhouse distributing, and they care of all the flex warranties.

1-888-809-4749,

Very friendly, and I'm glad AG deals with them. What ended up happening for me is that they're sending me a new BP and felt ring and the trick is to apply white oil (or some good lubricating oil) to that felt ring and have it saturated. That should provide enough lubrication to prevent heat build-up.

Glad they took good care of you!

ZoranC
05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
When I say angled pressure, it was more of an accidental thing and to illustrate my point it's like going over a panel that's more organic than flat and the pad starts to jump and move around like crazy. While trying to get it under control that's when I applied the angled pressure.

I always tried to stay perpendicular, but anyways, you mentioned a double washer, my flex only has a single washer.
I see now what you mean :) We are talking about two different things then. When I sometimes say angled pressure what I have in mind is offset/uneven pressure that results in bp being under the angle to housing, one edge of it being brought closer to housing.

All Flex's come with single washer. I have added second washer myself after I have done pre-inspection of my first Flex. I think I have described detailed reasons behind it at few places (MOL for sure, I think here and CorvetteForum too).

Short version of it is that from my small previous experiences in other manufacturing areas (computer rackmount cases) I know that variances affect final fit and tolerances. Most common problems with bolts and holes was that sometimes bolt was just so slightly longer and/or hole was just so slightly shallower that it made the difference between perfect fit and not so perfect fit, or even huge headache when both happen at the same time and then propagate.

In other words bolts on those cases were "bottoming out" preventing perfect tight fit.

One of the ways to deal with this "after the fact" is by increasing distance of bolt's head from the surface where possible. Simplest way to do that is by adding washer. So I added washer. I would not be able to do this on old style bp that does not have foam as that would make bolt's head protrude above bp's surface. However, on new style foam gives you safety margin needed.

This made it VERY tight for me.

napster_08
05-08-2008, 01:30 AM
pls. don't hate me sir but i don't have any idea about double-washer? what is it anyway?

napster_08
05-08-2008, 01:44 AM
You put another washer underneath the bolt's head.

is there a specific washer to use with flex or any washer will do?:)